*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I am using MSI Afterburner on mine. You can download it here

As for fan, did you try balanced mode? I use turbo mode because I often use headphones and the fan noise never bothered me. I tried using balanced mode yesterday testing out GTA V and had decent level noise (not too low or too high)

I was lucky with both my G703GX as my temps have never reached over 88c during gaming or benchmarks. It rarely spikes to 88c and maintains 85c (which I guess is ok) Other models have shown higher temps so Asus has been good to me.

Repasting will definitely help with temps and fan noise.

cucubits likes this.
  2. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Cool, I'll check out MSI Afterburner. I've heard good things about it.

Yes, I've only tested Silent vs Balanced so far. Balanced plays fine Metro on Ultra settings but on Silent profile I do notice lower fps. I also normally play with headphones exclusively but being in the same room as my wife, I'm expecting the noise from the fans to be too loud. On the Balanced profile it seems quite louder than the G751JY (980m).

Most likely I will have to find something between Silent and Balanced for good performance and somewhat quieter operation.
    For sure I'll repaste as well. Having it run even a few degrees cooler, will make a difference.

Until then I'll start gathering data with current settings, speeds, temps to have a good baseline in several games.

3. cucubits

Reputations:
    Got a chance to run some benchmarks last night. The results seem to be pretty consistent with what Aradhakr posted. Mine are a couple hundred points lower most likely because I haven't added a second 16Gb RAM module yet. Also, probably it matters, I had the balanced profile active while doing this.

GPU reported max temp of 80C and CPU max was over 95C for a little bit at some point.

3dmark.jpeg

I will collect more data in benchmarks and in games to make sure I have a good baseline report before I proceed with repaste and RAM upgrade. Also, the SSHD is going away. It'll get a new 1Tb NVME M.2 SSD.

...sorry for the crappy picture, I will stop using my phone for screenshots :)

Aradhakr84 likes this.
  4. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep, the scores I got was in the same range before adding another 16gb RAM. Adding another RAM will increase your score. For some reason, my replacement device had better benchmark score than my previous one. I came so close to 10k score in Timespy (9988)

Updated scores from my replacement device

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cucubits

Reputations:
    Cool. In which slot was your stock RAM installed when the laptop came? Did you have to move it to put it next to the one you added to have dual channel active?

Wonder if it's the same in all of them, they put the stock one in the slots on the 'backside' of the mainboard, the ones you can't access from simply opening the panel on the back with the one screw.

6. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    G703GX has 4 RAM slots. If you turn your laptop upside down, you should see a rubber cover. If you pull the rubber cover should expose the screw underneath. Removing the only screw and pulling the compartment cover will give you access to two empty RAM Slots, 2 M.2 card slots and 1 HDD slot. This gives you option to upgrade quickly without completely opening the laptop. To access pre-installed factory RAM, you need to open further which is not needed in this case.

I put the 16gb RAM in any one of the two empty slots. I need to remember to take it out before I return this laptop this weekend.

7. Frencho

Frencho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your CPU temps are concerning, TJ Junction is 100C! is your laptop repasted with quality thermal paste or liquid metal, or just stock paste?

8. cucubits

Reputations:
    Not repasted, all stock so far. Also this is the model with 8th Generation Coffee Lake Core i7-8750H not the one linked above.

What's "TJ Junction"?

9. cucubits

Reputations:
    I'm getting worried.

There may be a problem here, I don't think it's just me that this thing is louder than it's supposed to be. Ran another benchmark session, this time by playing Far Cry 5 for a while (about an hour I'd say).

It ran fine of course but all the time the fans were way too loud but I could only feel real heat coming out of the right side. Left exhaust was just warm. Sure enough, the graphs show very high CPU temps, almost constantly above 95C. On the other hand, GPU never exceeded about 70C.

Is the CPU really a bottleneck here? Even in Far Cry? It must be the reason why it keeps the fans going way too fast. I can run this game on my 980m just fine and it's nowhere near as loud as this. Or it's just me and this is how it's supposed to work?

I know, I'm playing with headphones all the time but that's not the point. My most important requirement besides top end GPU, was quiet operation, well, of course not silent but not as loud as this thing.

I need some advice. What non invasive setting could I check or change? I have about a week or so to decide if I want to return it and go back to the drawing board.

cpu.jpeg

10. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Far Cry 5 is CPU intensive game. Even area 51m laptop has issues with fan noise so I guess it is normal for laptops with powerful configuration. I am not sure about the temps you are getting. Did you notice any thermal throttling? When I played Battlefield V for 1 hour straight, I can see my temps spiking to 88c and sometimes 90c but I did not see any reduced clock speed in CPU.

I decided to go with area 51m due to desktop processor configuration which is also replaceable (if needed) Now with 17% off in Dell US, the price is similar to G703GX. Maybe you can try looking into it and see if that works out for you? Nothing against G703GX but for similar price you are getting a laptop with desktop grade processor.