*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't seen any aftermarket cooling mods for this yet.

Yes, heatsink design overall is very bad. Almost makes me wish I'd have waited and got something else...

2. juggar

juggar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I dont know what you expect, its 200 watts TDP on the CPU and GPU EACH in turbo mode. More than your predator by far. Run it in balanced mode or something.

This is probably the only 8 core laptop that can actually run the chip as designed with all 8 cores turbo'd with no throttling.

3. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep. It moves more heat than all but the most high end desktops, in a small fraction of the case volume.

4. Peter Edwards

Peter Edwards Newbie

Reputations:
    It's in balanced mode, Turbo is literally unbearable.

5. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can find fans and other replacement parts for G703GX here. I am still waiting for a bottom cover to show up so I can test some mods on it.
    Good luck.
    https://www.asus-accessories.com/laptop/g703/g703gx/g703gx-rog-86172-65718.htm

hmscott and cucubits like this.
  6. cucubits

Reputations:
    That's a good idea if you don't want to mess up your original case but I can't see the bottom cover (the large one with the vents) in the list on the site. Do you have a direct link or I'm not looking where I'm supposed to?

7. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you browse that site you will find all G703 models. I got the cover for G703GI since it's available. I cannot find the GX one. It is however the same chasis for all G703 models so G703GI bottom cover should work for G703GX just as well.
    On a side note I found the thermal pad thickness for all heat sensitive areas. Will do an update soon with the temps.
    It uses three sizes, 0.3mm, 0.5mm, and 1mm thickness for thermal pads.
    Also for the GPU and CPU dies I used Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut pad 0.2mm thickness.
    No more wet and nasty pastes

cucubits likes this.
  8. cucubits

Reputations:
    Do you guys get very slight coil whine (at least it sounds like coil whine)? Only when it's dead silent around and only if I turn my head at specific angles. Doesn't seem to be constant. It's not from the speakers.

9. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since I had it new I get something, kinda sounds like it's coming from the left speaker/sub at front bottom? But only when it's silent, when fans kick in I can hardly hear it! Mainly when stressing it like farcry new dawn it did when loading game (large environment around spawn area), but once loaded it goes, it's been fine since may, so just guessing it's normal

10. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just like to make clear, it's defo not from the speaker but that corner of the laptop! And is also slight and when head in certain places as stated

cucubits likes this.