*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do want to try conductonaut at one point if the temps go up with MX-4. I don't know if Phobya either degrades or just pumps out due to oscilating temps but it started loosing cooling properties after a while even though it's something like 16W/mk.
    Mx-4 it's long lasting from what I've read so hopefully I won't have to do a repaste soon.

2. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got mx-4 (2019) on mine, don't know if 2019 makes a difference, but it stays really cool (not as good as lm but good for thermal paste)

Mine was done about 3 months ago, stays same cool temps to this day

Limited CPU 3.4ghz, never hits 80c on any game (including farcry, battlefield, call of duty, anno, metro ect...) but does creep over after 15 mins stress test, bit that's maxing it out for 15 mins straight!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    OvidiuM likes this.
  3. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm not looking forward to repasting anytime soon. I keep trying to bring myself to enlarge the intake grills on the bottom but I keep getting side tracked :)

OvidiuM likes this.
  4. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    I used mx-4 before and it was very good. I am back on it for now until I do a liquid metal repaste. I never go above 80 now after fresh repaste I think in part due to -125mV undervolt. No underclock though just undervolt.

If you do a repaste I am really curious to see if gallium does interact with copper and starts to damage it in time. I know CPU and GPU dies are nickel and won't be affected but I am interested to see if copper is the same.
    Maybe if you repaste at one point you can share your findings

5. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will at some point. Probably around the 6 months mark. I'll post pics for sure.

6. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    Hopefuly it is fine and doesn't corode copper.
    What I am more concerned is a warped heatsink. I do move my laptop alot and MX-4 sometimes spikes from 65C to 75C and back which may be a sign that mx-4 is too thin for my heatsink and does not cover equal all cores.
    Phobya was better, more stable at keeping a consistent temperature since it was much thicker.
    For now it is okay so I will stay on this setup until temps go up again

7. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I understand what you mean about the thickness, but personally when i moved mine (desk upstairs and downstairs) I've not noticed jumps in temp, I read your post and I'm on my laptop so I just tried it, running new dawn benchmark while doing it, maybe 1c or so but not anything significant, are you.sure you spread it propally, and didn't put on too much/not enough paste? It's hard to find a long lasting good paste, which will cope with those temps :/

8. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    Another thing I used to do was wiping the keyboard deck with too much preasure maybe and that made the paste pump out or something. That rubber surface really makes fingerprints stand out.
    For now I avoided moving it too much and I got a wireless keyboard so I don't have to chean the keyboard.
    The temps are stable.
    As for the amount of thermal paste that I aplied I think it's okay. I only noticed a temperature spike when using MX-4. Not Phobya or MasterGel Maker. Both are thicker than MX-4 and have less spike in temp.
    I will update if things change

cucubits likes this.
  9. tturgut

tturgut Newbie

Reputations:
    Fan running continuously/at maximum ???

Hi, I use this laptop for chess analysis with the videocard. I turn off the chess engines at night, but when I wake up, i am finding that the computer fans are running at maximum and are very loud. ????

Turning the computer off and then back on fixes the problem.

??? Anyone has an idea?

10. Peter Edwards

Peter Edwards Newbie

Reputations:
    HI, are there any high performance replacement fans that fit? I have only had mine a month and 1 of the fans (left side) vibrates a little.

Also mine runs very hot, fans are on all the time.I had the Pred 17x 1080 before (CPU failed, got refund and bought this Rog), this is a huge letdown cooling wise in comparison.