*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, I will use then XTU and I know 92 in some core bot to much hot, but is still hot and I would like go under 90 or best 85 and if I need pay a undervoltage / reducing clock I will :)

2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Under 90 is pretty doable if you're ok with occasional spikes above. It's difficult to control the instantaneous but very brief spikes. But keeping temps below 90c for the other 99% of the time is very very doable and you shouldn't have to sacrifice much. :)

3. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be honest I wouldn't care if it's running all the time at 100C if it can take it. My problem is fan noise. I still haven't found a way to control when and how hard the fans kick in. The manual profile from armoury crate doesn't seem to do anything for me.

I ended up "fixing" it by undervolting, underclocking, lifting the laptop a bit for better airflow, LM on both dies, just to keep everything below 70C where the stock profiles turn the fans too loud for me.

4. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The fan control is a bit odd in how it works. I find that it ignores what you set as a minimum and choose its own (Asus need to polish Armory Crate a bit tbh), but will obey the maximum speed and never go past it. I find 40% maximum to be a pretty good compromise between noise (gentle woosh) and performance.

If you find a % that sounds good to your ears, you can honestly just rely on the fact that CPUs/GPUs will never allow themselves to overheat to take care of the rest. Nvidia GPUs especially are excellent at sticking to their target temp (86c), but you'll have to tweak the CPU to ensure it doesn't spend too much time throttling (clock speeds won't change but I am pretty sure it duty cycles).

Anyway it's another option if you ever want more than 3.2GHz.

5. cucubits

Reputations:
    Cool, I'll try to mess with the fan speeds some more.

6. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone found thermal pad size for vrams and other sensitive areas? I think the size for vrams is 1mm thickness. I am not sure about other areas. I want to get rid of all thermal grease even for CPU and GPU dies. I want to use Thermal Gryzzly Carbonaut on the dies all I need are pad size thickness.

7. cucubits

Reputations:
    It's not the same size everywhere. I tried with pads and wasn't successful. I stopped experimenting and went with K5 Pro paste. It's very thick and holds well. Didn't create a mess and it's still fine.

8. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    Usualy they put 1mm thick thermal pads on vrams and 0.5mm thickness on other areas.
    Problem is I don't know if all areas make good contact and if on the CPU and GPU die will be enough presure for the carbonaut to fill all the air gaps. Carbonaut is only 0.2mm in thickness and very electricaly conductive and if it shifts and touches metal it won't be a good day.
    I wonder though if Asus went the grease route just for the better cooling or because the heatsink does not alow pads due to too many incompatibilities between the heatsink and dies themselves and vrams and all the other components.
    One way to find out is to try some cheap pads and just mix and match untill something fits.
    As for the air intake vents I wanted to use a 64mm hole saw to drill biger holes and glue a steel mesh on them but there are preasure edges on the bottom cover that push on the heatsink. Didn't want to risk cutting one of those edges off, so I need a better plan on how to get the vents bigger.

9. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    I had to repaste. I had mine with K5-Pro on vrams and phobya nanogrease extreme on cpu and gpu dies.
    Whitin around 3 months of this setup of regular gaming I noticed my temps have gone up into the low 80's for the CPU with -125mV undervolt and around 75+ for the GPU with an undervolt curve at 850mV. That's about 10 hotter compared to how it was with fresh repaste.
    So I repasted today and temps went this time even lower. But I used MX-4 on dies and K5 Pro on vrams.
    When I took it apart K5-Pro was cracked in some places on vrams. Maybe that is one reason why the temps have gone up.
    I will keep an update to these findings just to be sure k5 pro wasn't at fault and phobya nanogrease extreme actually degrades fast at high temps.
    This is how k5 pro looks after 3 months.
    It's not dry but just cracked and for some reason it printed painted letters from vrams on to it. Strange... Optimized-20190921_161756.jpg Optimized-20190922_020239.jpg

10. cucubits

Reputations:
    I haven't taken mine apart yet. It's been a few months since I put the K5 Pro on but for now temps are good and stable.
    I never see anything much over 70C. Even Metro Exodus stays under that. So far only with Anthem I see 73-74C running temps. I do have Conductonaut on both CPU and GPU dies.

OvidiuM likes this.