*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think it matters how much hotter the 9 is. It barely keeps the 8750 cool. I run my 8750 with max clocks at 3.2Ghz, a bit of undervolt, liquid metal paste and under heavy load I still get about 75 - 77C temps. This is right at the threshold where the fans switch to a higher speed. Fan noise is very important to me.

My next mods will be to raise a bit the back side to allow more air and cut out the intake grills which are very small.

IMO the whole cooling system on this machine is very poorly designed. But it's fast, and I already bought it :D

2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 9750H has extra L3 and slightly higher clocks. Not bad but not worth the extra $600.

There isn’t a notebook in existence that maintain the sort of temps you’re after on Intel CPUs. It’s not really got anything to do with the cooling (which is actually quite good - it cools a 200W GPU).

Why not set a manual fan profile so you get better acoustics plus allow the CPU to stretch its legs? 35-40% in Armory Crate as max for both fans is quite good I’ve found.

3. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't think the preformancr difference warrants the $600 price differance, if you look at actual game bench marks (which can slightly vary If you run the test 5 times in a row) then you will see there is very little between the two, if any in some cases!

Minecraft is quite CPU dependant, and in my experience tends to favour 1 certain core and that works very well on the 8750h!

Is there a demo or benchmark tool for arma3 I can run and share the results to you? Couldnt find one with a quick Google search

Before you take a big knife to the machine, have you considered trying a cooling pad? I haven't tried one personally, but a friend who lives down the road has one of these machines but with 8750h and a gtx1080. He uses a thermal take metal looking one and has no repasted or undervolted, and he gets simar temps to me (75-83 under load)

4. delpy8

delpy8 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys how easy is it to install second or third nvme ssd to set up a raid 0 configuration

5. delpy8

delpy8 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all where will I get info to install two nvme drives into the G703GXR-EV065T

6. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Putting the new drives in will be easy, just one screw off bottom, and there's two spare slots with heatsink! I don't know if that works in raid 0!

On another note, been on Minecraft most of the day, not a problem, restarted laptop for Windows updates or whatever and my keyboard lights were off!

I checked, armoury crate is all up to date, aura sync says unknow, and it's not in any of the sync settings, but if I select a colour it does indead change to that colour (rainbow I use), but then when I restart, they're off again? [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Hortator

Hortator Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, can you help me with a quick question?
    The global Asus website says the i9-9980hk models of the G703GXR comes with liquid metal on the processor. But in the US there is no GXR, the only model with i9-9980hk is the G703gx-xb96k. Does this model have liquid metal compound on the processor as well?

8. Tool462

Tool462 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have decided to get the i7-9750h version. I am curious how it's temperatures are compared to the i7-8750h version.
    I can always return it and get the 8750h if I am not impressed. I have not found much information online about the 9750h version so perhaps it is good I purchased it so I can bring the results to everyone here. There is no demo to Arma 3 that I am aware of. It is a very very unoptimized game and depending on the scenario you are playing with a slower clocked CPU you could get bad minimum frame rates. When your minimum frame rate is low it really really annoys me in game dropping from 45fps to 20fps.
    I still rate Arma 3 10/10 for what it does do right but the code is not optimized as well as it should be.
    Yea minecraft is also hard on the CPU.

If I can get around 4.2ghz-4.3ghz out of the 9750h with decent temps I will keep this laptop. I will repaste for sure. Not sure I want to do liquid metal though.

9. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello All,

I am back :D
    So after 4 weeks waiting I received mine machine back ( I have the I9 9980Hk model )
    I was waiting for new part what was the GPU, but because the GPU is “solid” at motherboard I need wait for brand new “Mobo” with new CPU and new GPU so was 4 weeks at pain :(
    Is look like the model have some “bad” VRam at GPU, so be careful if you have the “bad ones” like mine one :(
    Didn’t test the new one bud will soon :)
    To answer you question, all G703 what have inside the top one intel’s chip ( I9 9980HK ) have Liquid Metal on :)
    And I’m for 100 percent sure :)
    Hope this help

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  10. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello lads again,

Simple question, what benchmark software are you using to benchmark this beast ?
    I use Fire Strike and mine machine burn out, so this is why I ask, I guess was just a bad luck but anyway :)
    Thanks for answer