*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. AMironov

AMironov Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i`m pretty sure it has been discussed before, but i dont seem to find it unfortunately: what is the best way to undervolt G703GXR and keep control over backlight and other features ArmouryCrate provides?
    It`s clear i have to use TS for that, but AC will mess up the settings and they will fight with each other.
    So what would be the best way to go around this issue?

PS: i`m not especially interested in overclocking cpu/gpu, only in getting some stress off the cpu and let it maintain more stable clocks.

Thanks

2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah unfortunately you sacrifice a lot by going TS instead of Armory Crate. Which is why I actually went back to AC in the end. Because it uses the XTU service for profiles, you can use XTU with Armory Crate and they will play nice together. So I just set whatever profile I want in Armory Crate (turbo or manual for me), and then open XTU and apply an undervolt. If you want to undervolt the GPU you’ll have to apply an Afterburner profile.

What CPU do you have? 9980HK?

3. AMironov

AMironov Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, i have 9980hk.
    Interesting if you can just tune the xtu profiles ac applies?

And i think there should be some option to unlock bios on our mainboard, would expect great tweaking potential without need for any software.

4. sniffin

Reputations:
    Yeah you can just tweak them after you select whichever you want.

I agree a BIOS option would be nice. A desktop BIOS would be amazing but OEMs don’t seem to like the idea.

5. AMironov

AMironov Newbie

Reputations:
    What app do you use to monitor temps, clocks, throttling? I use hwinfo but cant find way to enable graphs, thought there some.

Or it was a separate log analyzer/plugin like
    GenericLogViewer - Version 5.1 from hwinfo site...

From your posts i got that you use ac in manual mode + xtu + msi ab. Correct?

6. sniffin

Reputations:
    Correct. Manual allows the same large power limits as Turbo, except you have some control over fan noise and clocks.

7. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is anyone else inconvenienced by the length of the charging cables? (the cables from the power bricks to the laptop).

They seem to be too short for any proper cable management and I really don't want to keep the two bricks on the table or dangling next to it.
    Wonder if there are commercially available extensions for something like this.

8. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've looked and can't find them, but on a French Asus parts website they want over £100 for one original charger!

On another note has anyone got any idea who provides the monitor for this laptop? I'm only asking as I have a Lenovo monitor update being installed? I've never plugged in an external monitor or TV! So I'm just assuming it's right?[​IMG]

9. wielly hartanto wijaya

wielly hartanto wijaya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From Indonesia bro ?

10. Tool462

Tool462 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can someone help me out with a dilemma I have? So I have decided to buy a g703x but I have one huge question.
    I opted to post this here because I felt like maybe you guys owning the laptop can help guide me in the right direction.
    I am mostly buying this laptop for gaming purposes when I cannot use my desktop.

I can get the i7-8750h version with a RTX2080 for around 2400$ on newegg for sale almost 600$ off compared to the i7-9750h version. After seeing benchmarks comparing the two I see that there is not much difference except the 9750h has a higher single core turbo clock of 4.5ghz vs 4.1ghz. Normally I would immediately get the one on sale especially after looking at the benchmarks but here is my problem. I play a lot of Arma 3 and this game is a very CPU intensive title that runs mostly on one core. The key word here being mostly. It lets other cores take some of the load but very very little. Going from 4.1 to 4.5ghz would be noticeable in game on the single core it mostly uses. Here is what I am worried about, will the i7-9750h version really get me to 4.5ghz on a single core if Arma 3 is using primarily 1 core but also other cores to a lesser level? Or will the single core turbo only work in an application that uses absolutely only 1 core and not like 95% one core and 5% on other cores.

Also will the i7-9750h even reach 4.5ghz without throttling? I plan on repasting regardless.
    How are the stock temps on the 9750h? I'm not sure 4.5ghz is guaranteed. If it truly ends up being only a 100 or 200mhz difference that honestly isn't worth it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019