*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all,

I had totally same problem ( not on this machine but on GL503GE model ), start happen to me randomly and on some point I just can’t change the setting at all and the GPU fan was permanent at maximum speed , I try everything , reinstall the software, download the newest one, installed the older version , everything, reinstalled the windows from recovery drive but same issue , what helped me out was clean Windows install from external usb drive ( but then the pain put all the drivers in Omg :( ) so don’t know if you wanna go that way but this is what helped me .

OvidiuM likes this.
  2. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to chance the boot drive and use the curent one just as an expansion. I was thinking a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB.
    I don't know it it will be faster than the current one the unit came with though. I hope it is.

@Skorpik
    Might as well do all that. It is a pain to do it but since I will switch the drive it's a good oportunity to start fresh with all drivers and software.

@sniffin
    It does use the same setting even for balanced profile.
    It's no use to have all cores running at 4.0Ghz the whole time. Armory crate needs better updates

3. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, you can get ThrottleStop to overwrite it but every now and then it messes with power profiles. I just disabled it in the end as it’s too erratic. It uses XTU and that has always been inferior to TS.

4. sniffin

Reputations:
    I re-enabled Armoury Crate and XTU today as I wanted to give the Silent fan profile a go and I'm actually pretty impressed with how this one is tuned. I avoided it before as I knew it lowered the power limits of the CPU and GPU. I played about an hour each of Division 2 and Fallout 76 and this is what I got on average:

Division 2
    CPU: 3.6-4.3GHz (bounces around a lot)
    Cores Active: 6 (makes sense as benchmarks have shown it scales to 6C/12T)
    Temps: 75-85c (brief spikes into 90s)

GPU: 1620-1750MHz
    Temps: 78c steady

Fallout 76
    CPU: 4.3GHz (pretty much locked)
    Cores Active: 1
    Temps: 75-85c (brief spikes into 90s)

GPU: 1930MHz
    Temps: 78c steady

The fans stayed at a pretty good noise level the entire time. It seems the G703GX does not allow the RTX 2080 to go above 78c. Div 2 starts at 1900MHz+ and slowly lowers to 1620ish once the temperature nears 78c. It will pretty much stay at that temperature until I close the game. The CPU temps are reasonable as well, but Coffee Lake is hot. I like how it still allows the CPU to turbo quite high in single-threaded games like Fallout. It lowers a bit in Division 2 but I am usually GPU bound at 120fps+ anyway.

I think for now I'm going to stick with Armoury Crate and XTU for CPU/GPU control. The silent profile is great for me and it's actually kind of nice to have all the Aura stuff back in one easy to use app.

Does anyone with the new 9980HK have temps to report? I am curious.

Edit: forgot to add, you need to change the power saver profile in Windows (which the silent profile uses) to 100% maximum processor performance. It defaults to 70%. You only need to change this once though.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  5. sniffin

Reputations:
    Apologies for the triple posting :)

So after running the Silent profile for a few days, I've concluded the CPU power limit is too low (it seems to be 45W in Silent mode), and the GPU temperature limit is too low (the GPU slowly drops it's clocks to maintain 78c, and I think the power limit is lowered to 150ish). The Balanced profile also seems to use these limits, so I moved past that quickly. The Turbo profile is balls-to-the-wall, but the fan speed is extremely aggressive and FAR too loud.

So I turned to the Manual setting, which allows clock tweaking and fan profile tweaking, AND raises the CPU power limits to 90W/160W (PL1, PL2), the maximum GPU temperature to 86c, and GPU power limit to 200W. So it's similar to Turbo, except you actually have some control, and it doesn't blast the CPU at 4.8GHz with 1.4v+. My goal was to:

1. Find an acceptable maximum fan RPM (acoustics are important to me)
    2. Find clocks that do not throttle within this fan profile

The sweet spot for noise was 2500rpm on both fans (35% fan speed in Armoury Crate). I may have to increase this in the summer, but for winter this is working perfectly. So my fan profile was 20-35% fan speed.

I raised the GPU clock +150MHz, and memory +300MHz. With the 200W power limit, clocks would sit at 1800-2100MHz at 86c depending on the game.

The CPU is harder to get right, as it sort of depends on the game. I continued to test Fallout 76 and Division 2, trying to find a balance between clock speed and minimising spikes to 95-98c. Interestingly, the clocks don't seem to be lowered during thermal limiting (I assume the cores are duty cycling through, so you probably won't be getting maximum performance). For Fallout 76, I can set the clock speed to 4.4GHz with a 100mV undervolt. There were brief spikes to 94c, but mostly it hovers in the 80s. I did not thermally throttle once. For Division 2, 3.9GHz with a 100mV undervolt lets me avoid thermal throttling. It spends a lot of time in the 90s, so it's cutting it close.

As with pretty much any laptop, your fan noise tolerance and what your ambients are will pretty much dictate what you can achieve. If you have headphones and increase the fan speed past 3000rpm I'm sure you could go much higher.

6. Scorpik

Reputations:
    Well is look like not just Alienware Area 51M have graphic card issue , is look like mine Asus Rog GXR is burn out too just now ( before area 51m but on me too ) bad luck ???
    Well boot windows after 6 days and boom graphic dead :(
    Spec :
    I9 9980HK
    nVidia RTX 2080
    32 GB RAM
    3x 512GB Raid 0

7. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you tried reinstalling driver and such? Never personally experienced a burn out of GPU! But I did watch a video about the desktop rtx 2070 (unknown if other models affected) where the memory was over heating and by reducing the speed it was working?

Also I am aware that a bad power supply can cause this, obviously you would have the official Asus one but I don't know if undervolting would have affected it, maybe resetting setting might help? Please let us know how you get on! Thank you

8. Scorpik

Reputations:
    Hello all ,

Well the think happen this way :
    I loud up “machine” download steam and thinking what I will instal, but instead of that I decide to go to google and first download the HWiNFO for the temperature , before I type anything to the google window the whole screen lose color, show crazy symbols, start shake it and reset ASAP, when this happen , is come to a loop load up reset, load up reset and after few rounds I manage to leave the system reinstall from hidden boot drive, but during the installation happen few times again so I instal windows during the whole night but I did it, I make it, but same think in moment when the windows boot up and start use graphic everything happen again, well I personally think VRam on GPU ( one of more is gone , but hope I’m wrong )
    Look the pictures lads

Attached Files:

9. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    could be wrong so don't quote me, but I had this happened on an old Alienware with a 650m, tried resetting to default windows which didn't work and it was purely in that software so where, manually reinstalling windows fixed it fresh from disc/usb!

Also could be wrong but I believe the processer (intel) GPU is linked to the display, the Nvidia one stays idle until intense load, mine is in power saving until I open a game! So the GPU technically isn't connected to the screen but transferred the load when required? Maybe worth looking into as GPU might have no load? Armoury crate where I found that! i don't know if the i9 has integrated graphics but that's the way my i7 8750h works!

Have you undervolted or repasted ect?
    _________
    Update:

Maybe try an external monitor/hdmi TV, if I'm right that will use Nvidia GPU graphics all the time and you might be able to open hwmonitor through that? That's how I learnt it was software in my old m14x R2 with software causing this! It still didn't preform correctly but the problem was different and workable, if that helps

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  10. Scorpik

Reputations:
    Hello, thanks for you advice :)
    Anything what can’t help , I will be happy for it :)
    First yes there is two gpus, if we can call it like that , the desktop nVidia and the intel UHD 630 , when the laptop boot
    First time I go do armory and change the UHD to boot directly from NVidia what force me to the restart and pick up the graphic card and I save it like that . There was no repaste job underwoltage dobe, because the machine is basically one month old and was use only for totally 10 minutes at all , don’t have time to play with it, so I was waiting for proper off what was yesterday ( have another P.C. and laptop ) , there is as way no point to repaste it because is a model with LM from factory , well what I will try is setup the UHD boot first true BiOs and will see what will happen .
    Question, you said this happen at your Alienware , did you hade same issues : / same screen like me ?
    Well the think is all start after nVidia update her self but before reinstalling I did uninstall the whole nVidia drivers but nothing change