*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. irfan wikaputra

irfan wikaputra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nah, as of now I am happy as it is, even if it is loud. I simply use Throttle stop and Nvidia Inspector to do all these. heard that GPU can also be undervolted using MSI afterburner.
    if you have the i9 version, i think it will be even faster in benchmarks and game :). one trick about throttle stop, once you apply it and put computer to sleep, it will be applied as you set in Throttle Stop when you wake it up..
    after you see the undervolt is applied, restart the laptop and the undervolt will be even more optimized and you will see slightly higher results. tried this in mine

2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you receive 304 through Windows Update? Or did you download it from the Asus website? 303 is the latest one I received through Windows Update, strangely though this isn't even on the website. Is 303 the same as 304? I'll have to check the 303 bios date when I get home.

To be honest I think it's best to disable most of the Asus software/services. Note that you don't have to remove them, you can just set them to not automatically start in "Services" (change them from Automatic to Manual). This way if you ever need them (e.g. to adjust the fan profile), just reverse your changes. I logged what changes I made in a text file, that way if I ever need to use them, I can just go through and undo what I did. Generally I think the machine runs better without all that stuff running, as you've found.

3. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I like the idea of not having armoury crate but I can't ditch it for two reasons: I like the balanced profile, fans not too loud and kick in when needed and the keyboard light customization. Is there any other way to customize key colors without armoury crate?

4. sniffin

Reputations:
    Your last fan settings are retained as far as I can tell. Note that I didn't remove Armoury Crate, I just disabled the service from starting automatically (so I can always go in and change to another fan profile if needed). I also like the Balanced profile (GPU fan turns off at idle if the 2080 is < 47c so it's extra quiet), and that still works even if Armoury Crate is not running.

I am not sure about the keyboard colors. I use mine with lid closed & external monitors, so I haven't had to worry about that.

Also in case anyone is ever interested, I tested the Optimus implementation a while back and found the following:
    - the iGPU is connected to the internal display ONLY
    - the RTX 2080 is connected to the internal display AND to the TB3/mDP/HDMI ports

cucubits likes this.
  5. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No I originally updated to 303 bios via windows update, and then to 404 with windows update! So I guess there different and I did nothing manually, but I am in the windows insider preview so that might be why I got it early?

And also for the keyboard lights you can just download Rog aura from Windows store, there are three but if you go on each one there is one that supports some g703 models but not the g703gx, I have tried it and it worked perfectly on my gx!

6. sniffin

Reputations:
    That makes sense - 303 is dated 5 days earlier I think. 304 hasn't been pushed to me but yeah I'm not an insider.

7. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all.

I am probably a newbie, this is not first time I read that after applying trotlestop changes I need put the computer sleep , but in mine experience working fine ASAP with out put the computer to sleep mode , did I something wrong ?
    Now I have experience only with two different cpu ( before I was use XTU )
    So the processor what I use now is I5 8300H ( working fine with out needed to put it sleep ) and I9 9980HK ( know in K version should work with out sleep mod on , but the i5 is non K ) so mine question is how is this possible ? Mine Trottlestop Verizon is atm 8.70 and 8.68 .

Regards
    Scorpik

8. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    EDIT: Btw I will post mine 3Dmark’s result soon :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  9. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone knows why after each boot or restart the power settings in control panel goes to performance?
    I have to set it to balanced every time I power up the laptop. Armory crate is doing this even if I set it to balanced to Armory crate also.

10. sniffin

Reputations:
    I think it uses that profile even for Balanced.

OvidiuM likes this.