*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Forgot to mention, the 144Hz screen is awesome! I never had a high refresh rate screen before. When I use it in parallel with my work laptop (an older Thinkpad T460s), the difference is mind blowing. Even just moving the mouse on the Asus is incredibly smooth feeling.

2. Frencho

Frencho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all.

I’m currently contemplating the purchase of an 17.3” ASUS ROG G703 GX Chimera series laptop (the one with the RTX 2080) from vendors who offer customization, repaste and display cherry picking services.
    Considering that ASUS ROG has been using the same chassis, motherboard and intel chipset for the last couple of years I’m posting my query in all threads across the ROG G703 lineup for increased feedback and input from either owners or vendors regarding the customization I want to do. I guess this does not count against the Cross posting rule as I’m posting multiple times in the same forum and not across different ones?

Can the ASUS MOBO and the Mobile Intel HM370 Express Chipset handle DDR4 3200MHz SO-DIMM RAM (2 x 8GB dual channel), as in XMP keeping the system stable and reliable at those overclocked frequencies. This G.SKILL Ripjaws module is the laptop memory I’ve found with the tightest CAS latency timings 16-18-18-43 (tighter than most 2666 kits I’ve browsed), price of dual channel kit 200$. Or should I just stick to 2666 MHz as the mobile MOBO might be less capable than a desktop MOBO due to voltage and thermal limitations? Have any of the owners put 3200 Mhz RAM or Higher inside their ASUS G703 Chimera?

How easy is it for a vendor to acquire and swap the AUO B173HAN03.2 AHVA Display panel (6 bit, slower response time) for the AUO B173HAN04.0 AHVA Display panel (8 bit, faster response time)? Both display panels are 1080p, G-Synch enabled and have a refresh rate of 144Hz, so I guess they are plug and play for the ASUS G703 Chimera series. Comparison chart. Only thing that worries me is the presence of a MUX to switch of G-Synch and enable Nvidia Optimus for the GX model over the GI, would the MUX accept the newer 8-bit display panel and still work? Has any owner here upgraded their screen successfully?

I would greatly appreciate any answers to my queries.

Best regards.

3. cucubits

Reputations:
    Got to the fast train ride section in Metro last night and I haven't noticed anything bad with the fast sideways movement. Lots of details in the background and no obvious screen tearing or ghosting.

So far it seems to be working fine. I do plan on adding another 16Gb of ram, just need to find out what's currently installed in it so I can get the same kind and I want to get rid of the 1Tb SSHD which came with it.

4. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I installed 16gb RAM in mine and the difference was huge in some games. You can go here to find the compatible RAM for the model. I bought mine from them and never had issue. My benchmark scores did not improve but in some games I saw +20 fps increase.

cucubits likes this.
  5. cucubits

Reputations:
    Cool, thanks, I'll do the same. Opened it up last night to check but the installed RAM in hidden somewhere, I could only see a pair of free slots. I'll put a 16Gb module in one of them.

6. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What are CPU and GPU temps like on this new model? Anyone played around with undervolting?

7. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Same screen issues with my exchange model. Decided to get area-51m instead. I really liked asus laptop performance. But 15% discount offer for area-51m was something I couldn’t ignore. So ordered one

8. cucubits

Reputations:
    I see a bit of light bleed on some screens but in games/windows I honestly don't notice it.
    Are you sure there's something wrong with the ones you tried or maybe you just need to adjust your expectations about these types of panels?

Before returning it, did you get a chance to play with the performance profiles from Armoury Crate? Asking because playing Metro last night I wanted to try to lower a bit the fan speeds and it didn't seem to want to use my manual profile. I'm assuming when it runs GPU intensive apps, it will adjust speed according to temps no matter what profile I select. Need to dig some more about this.

9. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I understand backlight bleed is unavoidable. But the ones I got had more than what is considered normal bleed.

I haven’t returned mine yet. Will try out and let you know when I go home. I always had it set to turbo mode when gaming. Will try out today.

10. cucubits

Reputations:
    What software are you guys using to check temps/fps? I know Armoury Crate shows temps but it's not helping because as soon as I exit a game, temps and fan speeds go down. I'd like to have maybe an overlay or something with good logging.

I need to find a way to tune the settings. When playing a really GPU intensive game (only tested in Metro so far), it's a little too loud. Ideally I'd even be ok to lower some settings and lose some performance just to be able to keep the fan RPMs a little lower.

I'm assuming re-pasting would also help in that area as it would mean a bit lower temps so fans wouldn't stay so high all the time, right?

Is it too early to look for a disassembly guide/ service manual for the 703GX? Besides the actual GPU/CPU re-pasting, is there anything else that helps keep temps down?