*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 9, 2019.

1. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’ve also done the CPU. I recommend Throttlestop. It’s better than XTU in every way.

2. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I thought based on previous comments people could only get throttle stop to work when using sleep mode rather than turning off? That's the only reason I didn't so this before repasting!

3. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes it seems to be an issue with non-HK processors (8750H) in the G703. I’m not sure why this is, as I haven’t read about this happening with other notebooks. It seems to affect both XTU and Throttlestop.

I thought it may have been a weird interaction between Asus software and XTU/TS, but again it doesn’t affect HK processors, and users in this thread that are affected have said removing that software doesn’t help.

So yeah, it’s an issue that may put you off undervolting the CPU.

4. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I won't do the CPU then I will leave it limited to 3400hz, but I'll look at the GPU, thank you :);

5. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I felt the same way at first. I thought it was a hassle to undervolt the CPU and keep it that way but in fact it is very easy to do. If you apply the undervolt to a stable value you can set TS to automatically save your settings and start when your computer logs in. It won't apply the undervolt but since the values are saved in TS after you power up your computer you only need to go in sleep mode for 1 sec and log back in again. It takes 2 sec for me to do it each time I start it up.
    You don't have to do the undervolt from start like the first time.
    Use windows Task Scheduler to start TS with windows and everything is easy and literally one click away.

6. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Indeed! I wonder how much power it draws from the wall because I my MSI GT73VR has just one power brick running on 330W and it powers a 1080 GTX and i7 6820HK plus 32GB of RAM and 2 SSD's without undervolting the CPU or GPU and it has more than enough wattage.

7. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't tested but from what I've heard if you use this with only one brick plugged in, it will work but the battery will discharge.

I think the 2 x power bricks are overkill but it was cheaper for Asus to do this instead of one way too big or two of different sizes...

8. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    When I downloaded quake 2 rtx demo, it was running at like 4fps with one charger, but with two it runs at about 80, so it definitely does something!

(Unlike most games quake rtx runs the whole Game, not just shadows and lighting, without rtx it's like 1000fps)

9. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I tried that game too. I know it's a hardware hog but it should not matter for power consumtion I think. Gpu is limited at 200W and CPU 45W. If you add the rest It should not go above 300 I think.
    Still I would try a 330W if that was an option

10. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I will take a look when I've got it on next, see what power it says it's taking, and the power supply wattages, and try the game again to see and let you know :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    OvidiuM likes this.