*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been running my CPU undervolted for quite a while now and everything seems stable on my unit.
    CPU temps are as low as they can be on regular thermal paste which is around 72- 78 in the most CPU intense games like Battlefield 5 or Far Cry 5. But when I run a game that is more graphically demanding like Metro Exodus GPU temps are going above 78 and starts underclocking as low as 1780 mhz. As soon as my GPU hits 75 degrees it throttles. The fans don't start spinning faster if the CPU doesn't hit high enough temp and the graphic card gets toasty. I think both fans are bound to CPU temp only.
    So I decided to undervolt my GPU also. After a few tweaks I got it stable to 900mV and a core clock of 1920 mhz. Now the temp sits in demanding games at 72 and it does not throttle. I did hit 75 degrees in Deus Ex Mankind Divided but the clock was only down to 1890 mhz which It is a huge improovement.
    Also I ran some benchmarks and I got higher fps across the board.
    Only thing that is missing is making bigger holes for air intake.

2. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    Is anyone getting 190+ W usage on GPU after undervolting the videocard? After 195W I get power limit throttle.
    Don't know if this is normal.
    Any way to unlock the power limit?

3. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    200W is the limit. What is your undervolt? Post your Afterburner curve.

4. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What do you guys do with you previous gaming notebooks?

I'm not sure if the used laptop sales are just slow on this forum or why is no one buying my G751JY. I've priced it fairly and I've posted a lot of details...

Also, I'm lazy, I know I could post it in more places but I really don't like craigslist and for now I couldn't be bothered with ebay, but I'll probably try.

5. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    I found it stable without frequency fluctuation at 900mV and 1920 Mhz. It drops to 1905Mhz on Metro Exodus but in almost all other games it stays to 1920Mhz.
    But I get power limit throttle. I could go between 800 and 850mV but with lower clock which it's a good compromise I guess and no power throttling

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    cucubits likes this.
  6. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’ve noticed Metro Exodus with RTX will draw a lot of power. I think your best bet is to do as you said and lower the voltage more.

It makes me wonder about how Max-Q cards with lower power limits will handle games with RTX.

OvidiuM likes this.
  7. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    At 900mV all games and benchmarks have higher numbers but the only downside is heat and fan noise. It's strange how the fans wotk now. CPU is cool enough and doesn't trigger fan high rpm unless it goes above 70. As soon as the temps are down the fans go low rpm and it keeps doing this loop with high/low rpm every few minutes.
    It doesn't bother me too much though now that I don't see temps in to the higher 90's like out of the box. Until I make time and take care on the intake holes I think it's as good as it gets without loosing performance.

sniffin likes this.
  8. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, been reading this post for a while now!

I've got the g703gx (i7 8750h, rtx 2080, 32gb ram) and I limited the processer to 3400mhz via windows 10 power settings! It then ran at a more comfortable temperature for me as I don't actually use it alot!

But since then it's slowly got warmer assumibly paste dried out already, so yesterday I repasted it (artic mx-4 2019), and I only did CPU and GPU, didn't do vrm and all because videos I seen didn't do them, I know knocked a bit of the old paste off the heatsink for vrms or memory bits or something (I just found it on back of arm once done)

Anyway it's now once again running tops of 79c on CPU, and GPU is tops of 76c, but I went on farcry new dawn (ultra settings with hd images/textures added and installed via uplay) and it's sturggling to maintain 60fps now, highest is 91 but it drops down to 52fps alot! Has anyone else had any problems like this after repaste? Going to do it again Tuesday with all vrms, waiting for more paste! Thank you

9. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I keep mine at 3200mhz and I don't feel it's a bottleneck at all. Everything runs fine and I very rarely see the CPU above 70C. Mind you, I put liquid metal on CPU/GPU and repasted all the vrms and bits around there with K5 Pro thick paste.

10. rmillsg703

rmillsg703 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't feel it bottle necked before I repasted it, the limited CPU was giving me 2fps difference high end when I did farcry benchmark before so didn't bother me, I'm suspecting one of the vrms is overheating and then reducing voltage to GPU since I didn't repaste them and did accidentally rub some off!

I'll redo it all Tuesday with the the artic mx-4 non conductive as I know that's long lasting and am terrified of damaging something with liquid metal! As I said before I don't game for more than a half hour to a hour at a time and usually not daily, the machine is way overkill for what I need!

The brown tape type stuff around the CPU/GPU did you take that off? I saw in an earlier post something about it being taken off but was a bit confused! the original thermal paste still under that as I couldn't get to it to remove it! If I take that off and just replace it with this stuff from Amazon (UK), will that work? Polyamide kapton tape gold resisting sticky 30mm?

Also did yours have the wireless Xbox control adaptor inside it? Right down by left of battery, will see the driver in device manager
    Thank you

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019