*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Scorpik

Scorpik Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello people :)

So mine beast is here :)
    I9 9980HK
    32GB RAM @ 2666
    RXT 2080 8GB
    3 x 512 M.2 SSD

Will be test it at weekend, atm busy at work

OvidiuM likes this.
  2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Enjoy! Let us know how it goes. I am very interested in CPU temps. 8C/16T is too much IMO however LM may make it manageable.

Edit: So bios 302 just got pushed to me via Windows Update. Since when has this been a thing? Install went fine at least.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  3. Scorpik

Scorpik Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I hope too that the LM will handle it , but still some tweaks will be needed , like undercoating the cpu , but I home not to much :)
    Well I will know soon anyway and leave you know guys :p

4. DanyakaXD

DanyakaXD Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone ! I'm planning to buy this laptop for work and VR/NON VR gaming, but now i'm interested how's it in vr? Any problems with connection? Max supersampling/comfort value of ss? FPS? GPU temps? In such games as: Pavlov, Skyrim, Elite Dangerous and etc. I'm going to buy Valve Index HMD (~ Vive Pro) and i'm interested your results :)

5. berkeleydb

berkeleydb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm about to buy this Asus Rog. My first Asus and my first notebook purchase in maybe 8-10 years since the diastrous Sony Vaio.
    First question: May I please ask -- what vendor(s) did you all use and do you have any good/bad vendor experiences? It's not like I can choose on price.

6. Scorpik

Scorpik Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello :)
    I think the vendors depend on you country or region ,
    I am from Europe so here is different vendors at all :)
    Btw all the benchmark and feedback from the i9 will be this Sunday lads , was sick , so apologize but will be done :)
    Have a nice day

7. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If I had the chance to do it all over again I would have waited for MSI GT76. I had last gen MSI TITAN GT73 VR with i7 6820HK and GTX 1080 MXM format GPU. Never had any issues with heat. Everything sat well bellow 75 degrees C out of the box.
    This time around I was impatient and wanted the RTX in laptop as fast as possible and Asus was first in my sight with cheaper RTX 2080. Plus I wanted something new. And Asus in my opinion has better desigh even if a bit outdated.
    Though it's not the best choise I don't regret it a bit. After a few things tweaked with the help from the members of this forum G703GX is way better than I tought it will be.
    Performance and stability is great. And for the price I don't think there is anything better even now 6 months later.
    But if I can was to give some advise, yeah MSI GT76 when out is the best option for a headache free experience out of the box. That's what I would buy over everything else, Area 51m or G703GXR. Msi really has the best cooling I experienced.

8. Scorpik

Scorpik Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello All,

I agree and disagree with @OvidiuM.
    I was newer a big Fan of MSI brand , but the new MSI GT76 Titan look awesome , I was thinking about him too , but lest start from start :)
    I had ASUS product from ages ago and now know the weakness already , and how the saying said, “Better know you enemy then ... “ so I preferred stay on something what I know , I try go to Alienware area 51m and I was very disappointed, should be a desktop replacement with 9900K and full desktop GPU and look how they end it , GPU VRAMs at mobos burn out so dell change the Watts settings from full desktop to something around 180 / 190 Watts , I think will be go down to 180 in few weeks time and stay there like a stable system .
    So at this time is only one Laptop with full desktop GPU and that is Asus G703GXR and yes there will be option on the market for MSI GT76 Titan what will be have better CPU ( i9 9900k vs i9 9980HK )
    In this case the different between the processor at Gaming in real world is not that much , if I will said 10 percent and I guess after right tweak will be less .
    Then let’s talk about price and quality , what I know about mine “ex dell” I paid at Europe 4299 Euros for i9 9900K , Nvidia 2080 ( should be 200 Watts but is not any more )
    32 GB DDR @2444
    M.2 Ssd 512 and 1TB hybrid HDD.
    The quality is not the best because mine one burn out , now I am a IT guy , for me is no problem repast ani chip or anything like that , the issue is that dell chose 6 Double VRAMs at Mobo instead of “single ones” and they charge for this premium build 4299Euro at Europe
    Now I return it and chose the Asus , why ? Because that time wasn’t the new MSI out yet , then I know Asus for
    Many Years, I know they need be repasted because they jobs is just “.... “ but after all of that the build quality is good and at this moment they are only the one company what put on market i9 9980HK with Liquid Metal on ( don’t talk now about vendors who.can do this for up you) this is just from the company out of the box plus the CPU have special cover around to keep the Liquid Metal at place and ATM is the only one desktop GPU what working safe at 200 Watts ( at least for me )
    Second think , don’t know how is work at USA, but over here ( Europe ) I newer had a issue with “bleeding screen” at mine Asus ( for last 5 years I had 5 different ones )
    And then the last think “Price”
    The MSI will be start with best spec around 4500 euros in Europe,
    What will be I 9 9900K plus 2080 and 32 GB Ram @2666 and don’t know the HDD
    Mine Asus what is I9 9980HK 2080 full 200 Watts GPU , 32 GB DDR 4 @2666 and 3 x M.2 NVMe SSD in Raid 0 ( 3 x 512 ) plus 5 years warranty cost me less then 4000 Euros :)
    So for me for a 10 less power and better build quality ( Asus vs Dell ) I cannot chose better .
    Don’t know the MSI , we will see, but at least I know what I get and I am happy with it :)
    Sorry for long post and for errors , write it at job :D

Regards
    Scorpik

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019 at 5:55 AM
    berkeleydb likes this.
  9. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Indeed the G703GXR is a powerfull laptop. And like others here I believe Asus's only problem is cooling. I owned Asus before Rog 752vs with GTX 1070 and that too had thermal issues.
    With or without liquid metal I think bigger air vents are the only thing missing. I will take the time to start moding the bottom cover. Without the cover under full load the temps are about 5 degrees lower on my system with regular arctic mx-4 paste.

10. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was planning on doing this as well. The intake grills on the bottom cover seem way too small for the amount of air it moves. I just wanted to wait for a little while longer to make sure everything is working.

OvidiuM likes this.