*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thought my RTX 2080 was faulty - was getting constant crashes to desktop and a BSOD during Anthem. I can barely play 10 mins before it crashes. But Division 2 works fine so I'm assuming Anthem is just a technical mess at the moment.

Curious as to what changed in bios 302. I never installed any new bios on my VI, I stayed at 301 the whole time. I really wish they published changelogs.

2. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Strange, I've also been playing Anthem for a while and I haven't had any crashes. The GPU temps are a little bit higher than other games but not by much. It stays under 80C.

3. sniffin

Reputations:
    I’m going to try dial back my CPU undervolt and give it another go. -125mV is as far as I’ve gone though and it works for everything else. Apparently it’s quite sensitive to undervolting just from some reading. I never had problems with it before though.

4. cucubits

Reputations:
    Yep, I've had it stable for a long time but in A Plague Tale: Innocence it would keep freezing. I ended up with really stable undervolt values now, albeit they're not too high:

upload_2019-6-6_15-1-26.png

5. sniffin

Reputations:
    Aah cool I might give -100mV a go then as well. If it keeps crashing I’ll have to re-evaluate my GPU undervolt.

Also, if you leave your notebook idle and let the screen turn off, do you notice in Afterburner that every now and then the GPU dipped to 0c when you go back into Afterburner? This is in G-Sync mode, and I have external monitors attached. What’s weird is Hwinfo doesn’t show dips to 0c, so I don’t think the GPU is actually turning off.

6. cucubits

Reputations:
    No, I haven't noticed these dips.

This is how mine looks when it wakes up from sleep. Just the CPU freq dips but that's expected I guess as the monitoring modules get initialized.

upload_2019-6-7_11-49-0.png

7. sniffin

Reputations:
    Oh I mean running but screen off. I can replicate it by setting my screen to turn off after 1 min of idle. When I shake the mouse to bring the screen back I can see the dips to 0. So computer on, screen off (due to idle).

Edit: this is likely what the BIOS update was for https://www.asus.com/News/ydnx3oksbzcswrmh

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    cucubits likes this.
  8. sniffin

Reputations:
    After winding my undervolt back a bit Anthem seems fine. Temps are good so probably no point trying to squeeze every single millivolt out of it.

edit: Attached is what I'm talking about with MSI Afterburner. In red is where the monitor turns off due to idle (I set it to turn the screen off after 1 min of idle in Windows power management to test this).

[​IMG]

Can someone else verify this happens?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  9. cucubits

Reputations:
    Mine does not do this. Tried it yesterday. Both CPU/GPU temps are shown without dips and monitor does the sleep wake thing.

10. sniffin

Reputations:
    Thanks for checking. I've noticed mine will sometimes do it and sometimes not. I ran a log with nvidia-smi and the weirdness seems to be with the p-state. It will go from P8 to unknown error for a second, then go back to P8. But the clocks remain the same, so that confirms the GPU isn't actually switching off. It doesn't seem to be affecting stability in any way, so might just be a driver oddity. I will check again when the next driver is out. I have multiple external monitors, so I also might also check with one of them disconnected. I know Turing had idle power consumption problems with multi-monitors that was supposedly fixed.