*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can't say anything about the 51M since I haven't used one. The 703GX is an awesome machine but as you probably saw in this thread it wasn't very good out of the box.

My opinion on the GXR coming with liquid metal is that Asus found that they MUST do that just to keep the temps in a usable range. Most likely they didn't want to invest anymore in developing proper cooling solution, they just 'upgraded' to better paste. Even the GX with i7 which is running cooler than the i9, out of the box was way too hot. It was throttling in any game. Only after I put liquid metal it is getting proper temperatures.

In the end, if I were to start over, I wouldn't buy the GX or GXR (most likely they have the same heatsink solution). Unless you absolutely must have a somewhat portable gaming machine, I'd build a compact desktop with top end components and still save some money.

I've also had several Asus laptops in the past and honestly it looks like their build quality and QA went down.

OvidiuM, Aradhakr84 and Scorpik like this.
  2. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for you opinion. :)

3. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I bought g703gx and had to return it twice due to quality issues - screen bleeding. But other than that, it was a good laptop with no major disadvantages I could find. I bought Area 51M and had to return that as well due to bad motherboard problems. At present, you can also look at MSI GT76 which is releasing soon and looks like a promising design. I have decided to wait and see how MSI GT76 fares before making a decision. Till then, I have moved back to my office laptop for work and PC/console for gaming purposes.

If I was you, I would not invest on Area 51M right now. I am a regular follower of Area 51M forum and I would say that Dell rushed out with Area 51M. Don't buy into hype like I did. Give it a little more time to see how Dell changes or upgrades the MB issues with Area 51M. Right now Dell is not acknowledging the problem and handling it case by case basis.

Overall, GT76 and Area 51M would give you more bang for your buck due to desktop cpu parts and nearly identical desktop gpu. But its your decision and you will not go wrong with G703GX either.

OvidiuM likes this.
  4. cucubits

Reputations:
    OvidiuM likes this.
  5. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A friend wanted to buy my G703VI (7820HK and GTX 1080) and I've been wanting to move on from a quad-core (with next-gen consoles having 8C Zen 2, I think quad-cores are going to be dead for gaming soon). Been tossing up 9700K (socketed) vs 8950HK laptops (I figure 8C/8T and 6C/12T is probably a wash). 8C/16T CPUs are just too hard to control I think.

Yesterday I saw an amazing deal on the G703GX (i9 8950HK and RTX 2080) so I've decided to grab it. I'm sad that the integrated Xbox wireless is gone, and the 2 bricks are unfortunate. But I'm glad I stuck with the G703 as it has been the most painless laptop experience I've had, and I really like how ASUS allows up to 200W on the GPU, my 1080 ran like a beast and I think the 2080 will need the extra headroom. None of the socketed laptops I was looking at allow over 150W, except the Area-51M but they are going up in flames.

I'll report back about the undervolting issue you guys have had, though hopefully this won't happen with an i9.

cucubits and hmscott like this.
  6. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Voltage control seems to work fine out of the box, so that issue seems to be an 8750H problem only. So far everything is working great. Thermals on the 8950HK seem better than the 7820HK despite it pulling more power. I think this is a combination of bigger die on the 8950HK (more surface area), as well as more heatpipes on the CPU. The spikes on the 7820HK were pretty wild, this seems a fair bit more stable. I'm sitting at 4.3GHz at the moment and am content with that. Still have to tune the 2080.

7. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello boys / girls :p

So I’ve decided get the Asus Rog G703GXR.
    Mine spec:

I9 9980HK ( Liquid metal )
    RXT 2080
    32GB DDR 4 @ 2666
    3x 512 GB M.2 NVME

Can’t wait to receive it and should be here in some stage at this week :)
    I will post some Benchmark as soon as I can and come back with news about Temperatures :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    OvidiuM, hmscott and sniffin like this.
  8. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We have a new BIOS version on Asus website. I will flash later tonight.
    "cucubits" I had no more artifacts after playing multiple sessions which makes me to believe it was some random rendering issue.

cucubits likes this.
  9. cucubits

Reputations:
    Nice, I've been waiting for a bios update but gave up checking the website a while ago. I'm going to try to update it now too.

I wish they'd provide a proper changelog though.

10. cucubits

Reputations:
    All good so far.

Just an FYI, when updating the bios, don't panic if after it's done it reboots itself a few times. It's not a boot loop, leave it alone to do its thing.

Haven't noticed anything different so far. Sleep cycle still needed for CPU voltage settings unlock.

upload_2019-6-5_21-47-34.png