*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Btw, how’s your temperature pre / post undervolt?

2. minc3

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
  3. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It was hitting upper 90's before repasting with MX-4.
    After repasting with MX-4 I got upper 70's rarely hit 80's under heavy load.
    Now with undervolt it stays low 70's which is great. Also the fans don't go full spin.
    Much less noise.

minc3 likes this.
  4. minc3

Reputations:
    Nice one, with LM, its gonna be few degrees lower + lower fan speed. There wont be much difference for the temp when comes to LM and any decent paste. But fan speed gonna be greatly improved. I believe this is due to the “stock” fan curve and the capabilities of the heatsink.

5. PixelPete

PixelPete Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently purchased a G703GX.. Getting a lot of constant coil whine when it's on balanced or turbo mode.
    Have any of you guys come across this and were able to rectify it? I've spoken to a few people and apparently coil whine is occurring a lot of newer machines requiring a lot of power and it sounds like manufacturers don't want to warranty it in a lot of cases.

And by the way, nice thread. I read it from page 1 through 21 lol.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    cucubits likes this.
  6. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ha :) yeah, it's been a roller-coaster with this laptop so far. Lots of ups and downs but now I'd say it's pretty much stabilized on up :)

Yes, I think I've also notice some coil whine, if it's indeed that (I hear it from the right side more), but only in certain very specific scenarios. One way I can replicate it every time, in Metro Exodus main menu. In other games only with specific graphics settings enabled or disabled (can't think of one now from the top of my head). In some games it's more noticeable than others but in most I can't hear it at all.
    Not sure if it indicates something bad at this point.

7. PixelPete

PixelPete Newbie

Reputations:

Yaaa same here... had to do a factory reset because throttlestop/armoury crate got messed up because I had some xtu settings messing with it ;/
    Now, I'm sometimes dropping to 55 fps in Borderlands 2. Something just seems a bit off. Unsure if it just isn't optimized with BL2 well.. It's usually around 70-80 frames, but I thought it would be well over that for a game 7 years old?

8. minc3

Reputations:
    So far I do not encounter any coil whine and hopefully I don’t have to. I do came across so post above certain graphic intensive games will cause the coil whine. Not sure about that. However, i believe you can send it in for RMA if the coil whine is just too serious (from what i saw in some cases).

9. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like the CPU undervolt setting is very application dependent.
    I've been playing with it at -120mv for weeks, not a single problem and last night I've installed A Plague Tale Innocence and it kept freezing in random places (in the menu or after a few mins of gameplay). I decreased the undervolt setting to -110mv and it's been stable all morning in the game so far.

Temps are still fine. CPU under 70C and GPU in this game stays at about 77C. Rather high but this game does look awesome. I kept stopping just to look around amazed how pretty it is.

More testing required, installing Rage 2 now :)

minc3 likes this.
  10. minc3

Reputations:
    Yes, it is application dependent. It can be stable in all the stress tests you can find. But it might still screw up in certain games aka real world applications.

I’ve just purchased the Witcher 3 and it seems that i need a new set of undervolt / no undervolt setup for it as it kept crash to the desktop. I noticed that when I don’t undervolt cpu and gpu. The game won’t crash, at least the 2 and half hours game time.