*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My CPU doesn't undervolt it seems. After fresh install and using just the drivers without any ROG software that might conflict with undervolting the clock and cache options are not greyed all software I used to undervolt. It gives me control over the CPU but when I try to aply any setting it does't do anything.
    Last option is to just make bigger holes for air intake.
    Liquid metal though I know it is the best thermal conductive solution I am hessitant to jump into.
    Does anyone have any long term use of liquid metal stats? Does it eat through the copper heatsing in time or just make it more insulating?
    That is the only reason that kept me away from liquid metal. I don't know what long term does to internals.
    I am not planing to open my laptop every year to repaste. I am too lazy for that.
    I was really hoping undervolting will work and be done with moding. I does seem it need more work...

2. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Undervolting is unlocked simply by a windows sleep/wake cycle. It's very strange but it works. Just put windows to sleep, wake it up and check again throttlestop settings. Won't be greyed out anymore.

Still digging around to find the cause for this.

OvidiuM likes this.
  3. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    I will give it a try later. It's a good if it will stick. However do you think it can go to shutdown and at startup I can just do sleep/wake to reaply? I doubt I can just leave it in slep for too long. I sometimes don't use it for a week and don't want to leave it in sleep for that long.
    edit/
    And also is it safe and does the undervolt work with Armoury Crate installed? I have no control on fans nor other things without it.

4. cucubits

Reputations:
    I tried all kinds of scenarios. After a shutdown - you need to sleep/wake to unlock. A straight up restart does not need it, it still works.

It doesn't seem to mess with Armourycrate. I just leave it with the balanced profile active, keep the CPU clock at 3.1Ghz all the time and about -120mv undervolt. I usually just put it to sleep and do a full shutdown like once per week or if I install something major.

It's a bit of a hassle with this startup routine and I'm sure it's 100% Asus's fault for not doing proper QA testing and releasing ****ty software (Armoury crate is complete garbage).

5. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    Does it no stay stable at default 4.0GHz core clock? I was going for -125mv not more but if it it stable I will like to have it run at default core clock. Does it hamper performance at 3.1 Ghz?

6. cucubits

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed any difference or performance drop in gaming with the CPU at 3.1Ghz. I chose that number just to have it run a bit cooler. I really see no need to keep it at 4Ghz. It was stable but it got the fans running loud very quickly.

7. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    By undervolting, your core clock shouldn’t be affected unless you go too low on core voltage. It is possible to push core voltage way lower than cache voltage.

Mine running at -172mv core and cache. Technically not really stable especially during idling. Sometimes it will BSOD when i restart with undervolt applied. But it is rock solid when under load. No freeze or BSOD. Am enjoying the low temp thus reluctant to tune the voltage up. :rolleyes:

8. OvidiuM

Reputations:
    It works. Sleep/wake does the job nice. Thank you.
    I will run some tests to see if it's stable enough. I don't mind a bit of fan noise as long as it is running smooth.
    If I see temps going too high again I will go for 3.1 Ghz.

minc3 and cucubits like this.
  9. cucubits

Reputations:
    3.1 is not the only option, you can go higher or lower, I just eyeballed that with the 'sounds about right' rule :)

10. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice one. Try some stress test. If its okay then dial lower until you reach a point it starts to BSOD. Then dial back up. You might end up like mine stable while under load but not when idling. If it bothers you, dial up slowly and test, until you reach a point where it’s stable while idling, restart, sleep, resume and so forth.