*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    To switch to Optimus, you need to go to Armoury Crate. There you can switch between Optimus mode and dedicated graphics mode.

Did you find any backlight bleed in your laptop? I am planning on doing an exchange.

2. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll try when I get home. I just replied in the other thread about the backlight. How can we check it consistently so we can compare our screens?

3. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am also not sure if I have ips glow or backlight bleed. I used this YouTube video to look for any bleed or glow

I used different brightness level to check for bleeding.

4. cucubits

Reputations:
    Am I correct to assume all the nvidia settings like g-sync options should appear in nvidia control panel once I mess with the Optimus setting in Armoury Crate?

5. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am not sure about that. This is ROG-exclusive software that lets you switch between optimus or dedicated graphics mode.

6. cucubits

Reputations:
    One more question, did yours also come with nvidia DCH drivers installed?

When I installed the latest drivers, I could only use the DCH version. If I tried 'normal' drivers it fails at the compatibility check. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Edit: any way to disable the laptop startup audio chime?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  7. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mine did not come with nvidia DCH drivers installed. So I am not sure what to tell you. I just went to Best Buy and did an exchange. Hoping the replacement does not have backlight bleeding as previous one.

Startup audio chime can be disabled by going into Armoury Crate. It’s in the main menu where you see cpu and gpu information...

8. cucubits

Reputations:
    Cool, let us know how it turns out.

Interesting with the drivers. Wonder why some are set up differently. Mine is from amazon (didn't say which specific vendor, just sold by amazon).

9. cucubits

Reputations:
    Finally found the stupid setting hiding in Armoury Crate. I set it to discrete graphics (so that it uses only the 2080), reboot and all is well. All the usual settings appeared in nvidia control panel.

This thing is awesome. Today it spent all day downloading steam library games. Can't wait to test some now.

3.jpg

10. cucubits

Reputations:
    Got a chance to set up an HTC Vive last night on it. Works fine, no surprises here.

Only strange thing is that it wouldn't work with the standard hdmi port, it would only work with the mini display port. It's fine as I had a cable for this but it's strange. Maybe some setting somewhere for the hdmi port.