*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I was worried about residual heat staying on longer too but so far I haven't noticed anything bad. I did put on only one set and I just stuck them on with the tape that came with them, no additional thermal pads.

I did tweak the GPU clock/voltage curve a bit and I think I found a sweet spot. I see a few more degrees lower temps in Ring of Elysium and Anthem even during extended sessions. Currently I'm at around 70C max in RoE (before it was consistently over 75C and fans would go loud) and 75C in Anthem (before it would stay at 80C).

I'm pretty sure I can squeeze out quite a few more degrees by 'improving' the intake grill cutouts on the bottom but that's about it. I have to say I'm getting happier with how it works now. Can't believe how much different it is compared to how it came out of the box.

minc3 likes this.
  2. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am glad that it works for you. I am happy with it as well, especially the undervolt thingy. LOL, that’s a devil, seducing us to lower the voltage as far as we can. So far, i do get random bsod (i mean all sorts of bsod) from undervolting. But it happens once in a blue moon and the only thing i need to do is shut down instead of logging into windows after restarting from bsod. On it like normal without undervolt and shut down again. And then it will run normally after the 2nd reboot. Restart wont help and it will endup bsod > restart loop infinitely. LOL.

I do look around for those bsod code but most of them linked to drivers and etc. No idea why but that will only happen when in undervolt. :D Ignored it since am enjoying the low temp and no issue in gaming.

cucubits likes this.
  3. minc3

Reputations:
    I wonder how is it possible for me to migrate my os in raid 0 to another raid 0. Was thinking whether it is possible for me to clone the os raid 0 to an external ssd > replace the two intel ssd with two larger capacity units > clone the os from the external ssd to the newly installed raid 0.

Sounds complicated, at least to me. And no idea if its gonna work since its technically from Raid 0 > single external ssd > Raid 0.:confused:

4. cucubits

Reputations:
    Sorry, can't help there. I haven't been messing with raid 0 setups. I'd assume you could clone your drive (save one large image file and move it). There must be a way. I only have a raid 1 setup in a NAS.

I bet if you ask google or the duck, a solution will come up :)

minc3 likes this.
  5. minc3

Reputations:
    Yea, I’ve been looking around for information and so far the there’re a lot of approaches and my situation is kinda different here as i do not have extra two slots for the new ssd to migrate straightaway. I noticed that Raid 0 to a single drive is doable but assume it’s migrated to my external single ssd. How am I supposed to boot before i can migrate the os stuff to the newly installed ssd(s) in raid 0. LOL. I know clean install will be the easiest but am trying to avoid the hassles of getting all the necessary things to be installed again. :rolleyes:

6. OvidiuM

OvidiuM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I own a G703GX with the i7 8750H CPU.
    Temps are not to bad on my CPU. It doesn't go above 80 in full load but with fans going fulll speed it is a little noisy. After many repaste jobs with trial and error the CPU is staying below 80 and the GPU around 75. It is still a bit too hot for what I am confortable with.
    I was thinking about doing some moding and make bigger intake air holes for both fans and cover them with dust mesh.
    If anyone has tried I would like to know if that has made some thermal improovements.
    Also I ran some syntetic benchmarks without the plastic cover on the bottom and I the temps were 5 degrees lower in full load so air intake might be an issue.

7. cucubits

Reputations:
    I am planning to do exactly this in the very near future. I can't believe how small the stock intake air cutouts are.

8. minc3

Reputations:
    Did you tried to undervolt? So far my personal result with undervolt + liquid metal is around 73C max for cpu and gpu. Hovering around 65-68C most of the time during gaming.

Biggest difference after Kryonaut repaste is the fan noise. Even lower fan noise with liquid metal. I believe by raising the laptop with cooling pad or maybe something else might assist in better airflow thus lower your temp.

9. cucubits

Reputations:
    I wish we could test the temps with it running with the back cover completely off, but it's not really easy to do as several screws through the cover hold the heatsink too. Also all the feet are on the cover...

OvidiuM likes this.
  10. minc3

Reputations:
    It is possible to do it temporarily but the ssd and sata gonna be hanging there.

OvidiuM likes this.