*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will, thanks for the tip! I'll also make a small paste barrier around it this time.

...or would some foam barrier cut-out work? I've seen a thread around here talking about that, foam being better at catching tiny LM beads.

minc3 likes this.
  2. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I applied the K5-pro around the die (made it like mini sand bags in bf v LOL) near the edge of the chip as i do not what it to cross contaminates with the LM when the heatsink compresses it.

I think the paste (if it is thick enough) should be able to hold any LM from rolling out. In fact, my real intention is to “seal” the LM so that no / less oxidisation to our copper heatsink.

cucubits likes this.
  3. cucubits

Reputations:
    I've finally got around to take it apart last night. I've cleaned off all the thermal pads I've put on before and applied K5 paste on vrms and everywhere around the CPU/GPU where it was needed. I've topped off LM on the GPU and pus a fresh batch of LM on the CPU too.

Also, just as a bit of extra help to take the heat away from the dies, I've put some little copper heatsinks around there. Not sure if they really help but why not :)

So far I do see some improvement, temps are a few degrees C lower. Need to run some more load but it looks promising. Way better than before where LM would make CPU worse. For sure the thermal pads around were messing up the seating.

I think we're getting close to the max efficiency of removing the heat from the dies. Apart from improving the airflow (enlarging input vents below the laptop) I don't think there's much more I could do to keep it cool AND quiet.

6.jpeg

minc3 likes this.
  4. minc3

Reputations:
    Great to hear positive feedback from ya. Lol, you just tempted me to get some copper heatsink to add on.

In relation to the airflow, i noticed that the input vent is just at the right place (underneath the fan intake) as opposed to strix / hero version where the vents are totally somewhere else

cucubits likes this.
  5. cucubits

Reputations:
    Just a quick update. The improved cooling with LM is holding fine.

CPU temps very rarely go above 70C. On the other hand I would like to squeeze somehow just a bit more cooling performance for the GPU. The most graphics intensive games keep it at a toasty 80C (metro and anthem). I don't want much, if I can get it below 75C I'd be happy. That's where the fans go too loud. I'm open to any suggestions on what to try...

minc3 likes this.
  6. minc3

Reputations:
    The downside of cpu getting “too cool” is the gpu temp gonna be slightly higher throughout my repaste with kryonaut, undervolt, and LM experiences.

I noticed that the fan for gpu kicks in slightly slow and I don’t really likes that. So far I’ve yet to get any useable software for fan control.

Just curious if you have undervolted your gpu?
    Tweak the graft. Ie force the gpu to clock at stock / slightly higher clock speed but lower voltage? IMO, That helps a lot. At least for me. So far i managed to find a stable point 1948mhz @ 0.950v temp 68-71/3c depends on which game am i playing. Clock will go down and stabilised at 1911mhz throughout gameplays.

Edit: ironically, the higher cpu usage game (higher cpu temp forcing fans to kick in earlier) will have lower gpu temp as the gpu fan kicks in much later.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    cucubits likes this.
  7. minc3

Reputations:
    I’ll take two games for example. PUBG and BF V. PUBG hardly stresses the CPU as such i will have lower cpu temp 63/6c max and gpu 71/3c+ max. Meanwhile BF V which can sometimes squeeze 80% from the cpu tends to give me “balance” temp 65-70c for cpu and gpu at around 1/2c higher.

cucubits likes this.
  8. cucubits

Reputations:
    Makes sense.
    I will try to tweak the GPU graph in MSI Afterburner. Right now I have it quite the other way around. I just lowered a bit the clocks (by about 200Mhz) from the main controls. I'll try your suggestion, increase clocks a bit and lower the voltages.

9. minc3

Reputations:
    Its not about lowering the clock but it is the excessive stock voltage that our laptops came with. To test stability of your undervolt. Just go for some benchmark for first stage and then gaming in the most gpu intensive game you have. It might be stable in benchmark but fail in game. So it will take some time to get the borderline (lowest volt @ highest clock) you want.

I used to get a stable undervolt of 0.925 @1911mhz until recently after LM application. Where i keep on crashing during gaming. No idea why. But so far 0.950v @ 1948mhz managed to stabilise for hours of gaming and stress test.

10. cucubits

Reputations:
    I see. Would you mind posting a pic of your Afterburner graph? I'm trying to make some sense in my head how to move the dots compared to the default line.