*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @cucubits just curious if your unit comes with kapton tape pre applied around the cpu and gpu die?
    If so, we should just get rid of it before doing any necessary conformal coating and etc?

2. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, there was a rectangle kapton tape cutout on both. I took them off because I already had a roll of wide tape but maybe you will be able to reuse them. Yes, I'd suggest taking them off, it's very easy for a tiny bead of liquid metal to get away and there's a lot of tiny SMD components on the GPU right next to the die. I couple coats of coating and a layer of tape should be enough.

I've been playing random games for testing purposes last night and to be honest the LM on the GPU does seem to make a difference. I haven't seen any game so far take it above 75C which is where the fans go too loud.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    minc3 likes this.
  3. minc3

Reputations:
    In this case i might take it off then. Bought a roll of kapton tape LOL. Ordered k5-pro thermal paste as well (will use it as a dam around the cpu / gpu die after conformal coating and kapton tape layer).

Everything ordered and on the way to me. Hopefully can get it in hand tomorrow.

Btw, after having some read up on LM application. It seems that it’s important to make sure it is sealed properly as oxygen will induce oxidisation. This is why I choose to get k5-pro. It will act as dam to avoid any bit rolling out should there be any impact on the laptop. And of course hopefully it will seal it air tight.

I don’t have any high hope very big difference in term of temp since kryonaut appears to be working very well at the moment. I believe the temp gonna be around there and slightly lower due to the “fixed” fan curve. Of course the best thing I expect will be even lower fan speed on LM.

So far Kryonaut managed to reduce fan speed by at least 40%. Maybe another 5-10% on LM.

Finger crossed that i wont screw up the laptop and lets see how when I receive everything.

4. cucubits

Reputations:
    Yep, fingers crossed :)

Take some pics also when doing it. I'm curious of the differences between the 703 models insides.

minc3 likes this.
  5. minc3

Reputations:
    Yeap, i will take some photos. In relation to the internal, it’s exactly the same, at least so far i noticed there’s no difference between GI and GX. GI comes with 71wh battery while GX 91wh if am not mistaken.

cucubits likes this.
  6. H00DRYCH

H00DRYCH Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all has anyone found a reliable keycap replacement for the gx701

7. H00DRYCH

H00DRYCH Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry wrong thread.

8. minc3

Reputations:
    Finally, conductonaut arrived today. My laptop was left dissembled for the past 2 days due to the delay of LM delivery.

Applied 2 layers of conformal coating and left it to cure overnight before putting the kapton tape. A layer of K5-pro thermal paste around the cpu / gpu die.

Currently spring in UK with temp as high as 25c during daytime. Average around 15-17c.

Pre LM temp (with Kryonaut) during heavy gaming - hovering around 65-75c for cpu and gpu, occasionally spike to 80-85c

Cinebench r15 x3 run max at low 70c+

Post LM temp during heavy gaming - hovering around 60-65c for cpu, spike to 73c max. 60-65c for gpu. Spike to 68c max. Never go beyond 70c.

Cinebench r15 x3 run max at 56-59c.

Temp during idle pre and post LM are almost the same 36-38/9c.

Fan speed greatly reduced as expected. Temp improvement, i would say around 5-10c?

@cucubits after comparing your heatsink and mine. There’s slight difference where GX comes with an extra shared heatpipe and the middle part of the cpu heatsink is slightly raised.

Meanwhile for GI model (i believe it should be the same with all previous G703) has only 1 shared heatpipe. And lesser vrms. The cpu side heatsink was not raised in the mid but the entire cpu side was slightly offset instead.

I don’t know if the contact was better due to i applied slightly more LM on the die as well as the heatsink. Not pooling but just make sure it is slightly wet instead of merely “colouring” it (very thin) like what i noticed in some of the guides in Youtube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    cucubits likes this.
  9. cucubits

Reputations:
    Very nice! Your results make me happy.

In the mean time I've already ordered some K5-pro paste and my plan is to ditch the thermal pads from the vrms and everything else around the CPU/GPU and just use paste. Then I'll give it another shot with LM on the CPU too. I'll make sure the heatsink sits properly this time.

Even like I have it now with paste on CPU and LM and GPU, I do see improvements during daily use. Most of the games don't push the fans to get too loud anymore. We're getting closer.

minc3 likes this.
  10. minc3

Reputations:
    Just wondering how did you apply the LM on the heatsink? Just rub with the remaining on the cotton bud to make it “shinny” Like how most of the guides did? If yes, try apply little bit more. Don’t “colour” it but make it slightly wet. Just a little. Slightly lesser than what you applied on the cpu and gpu die.

I dont know if it helps but this is what i did. Give it a try.