*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll check tomorrow and make sure the pads are making good contact. It's really not a very well designed heatsink. In some places it seems to need thin pads and in others it barely made contact with double thickness. Maybe something else is overheating besides the CPU...

2. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is the case where one laptop may require different thickness thermal pad.

Do look into the conformal coating as it is well known for being too thick thus affect the contact

cucubits likes this.
  3. minc3

Reputations:
    Btw, you just managed to seduce me to LM my machine as well :rolleyes::D

4. minc3

Reputations:

@cucubits check this video. That person did mentioned about his mistake of applying overlap layer of electrical tape and raises up the level with his cpu die. This led to not inadequate contact between the heat sink n die.

5. cucubits

Reputations:
    ok, so no overlapping tape and no conformal coating high spots.

I did have to tweak some more the heatsink contact with vrms (add/remove thermal tape with various thicknesses) but that's fine now.

In the end it just seems like the CPU heatsink contact with this small CPU die is not good enough for LM to be effective. I've taken it off a few times today, double checked the LM application, all was good except that I'd get +20C CPU at full load. After this last run, I've taken the heatsink off again, cleaned off the LM from the CPU and replaced it with Kryonaut paste (the one I had before), no other changes. Instant improvement, the CPU temp is way more steady and under full load (rather short test with 3DMark) doesn't get above 70C (where it would hit 90C with LM a bit earlier).

For now it works fine, with Kryonaut paste on the CPU and Conductonaut LM on the GPU.

CPU temps are as before and GPU I see about 5C lower. Not bad, but if these results are consistent on other 703s with i7-8750H, I would not recommend LM on it.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time feeling the love for this machine for now. It's awesome, looks great and it's fast, just that I really wanted a more silent gaming experience and previous Asus models provided that.

I need to make a choice pretty soon. Either sell my G751JY (980m) or take the hit, sell the G703GX at a considerable loss and keep using for a while the 751, which is still a very capable machine, for sure all games will work but at lower settings...

:(

6. minc3

Reputations:
    That’s weird. I believe the gap between the heatsink and the cpu die might be slightly “big”? As such thinner LM failed to transfer heat properly while the thicker kryonaut can do so. Or it could be the heatsink is not level?

I am planning to try LM soon. Just wondering whether our heatsink is copper? Or nickel plated?

7. cucubits

Reputations:
    I sure hope it's copper.

minc3 likes this.
  8. minc3

Reputations:
    Ah okay then, i gonna buy whatever needed and try LM and see hows the result.

9. cucubits

Reputations:
    Cool, can't wait to see your results.

If the heat sink if too "far" or not level, there isn't anything I can easily do about it. The 4 screws around the cpu and gpu are meant to be tightened all the way. There's no seating adjustment designed.

10. minc3

Reputations:
    Most probably minor “bend” which we cant see from our naked eyes. There’s a youtuber who pointed out the possibility of lesser contact due to the “one piece” design.