*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've rebooted windows once and surprisingly throttlestop voltage settings are still being applied.

Still don't know why or how but I do want to do a clear windows reinstall when I get rid of the sshd, sometimes the next couple weeks.

2. minc3

minc3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am planning to get rid of my sshd as well. Just wonder so i need to “uninstall” it or just plug and play with my new ssd? My os is in the raid 0 drive.

3. cucubits

Reputations:
    Normally it should be plug and play if you're not touching your system drive raid setup. On the other hand I know that windows puts some system files/partitions on each drive so it may complain or you may run into trouble if you are going to do any clone restore later. I'm not sure, it may work fine.

Mostly I want to do a clean windows reinstall to make sure I get rid of all the asus bloatware crap and see if I can set up my undervolting cleanly after.

4. minc3

Reputations:
    I am getting a ssd / hdd enclosure kit for the sshd. So it wont be wasted. LOL. Hopefully no issue.

5. cucubits

Reputations:
    To be honest I'm getting contradictory feelings with this laptop. While it is an amazing machine, incredibly fast, I just can't get around to the cooling solution they are using.

Asus used to be known for bulky gaming machines but with proper cooling and quiet operation even under load.

Here, even a less demanding game gets the CPU and/or GPU to above 70-75C and the fans pass the point of being too loud in a room where for example someone else is watching TV. This is how it's going to be used, even if I am using headphones most of the time, I cannot have it running so loud.
    At least the previous models had somewhat better exhausts designed pointing only backwards. I know, for this one they needed side exhausts too to cope with more heat produced by the current hardware.

I honestly don't know what to do. I'm passed the point of just returning it and I kind of don't want to do that. Ideally if I could improve the existing cooling setup, to keep the temps under 70C, everything would be ok.

For now I see only two viable options:
    1- improve cooling by any means (I don't care about warranty, honestly after all the stories I've heard about asus customer support, I wouldn't even try if I needed them). If it didn't break so far, it will be fine. I do have hopes for this approach as simple repasting made a difference. Going with liquid metal and maybe some other improvements, will surely help. If it's going to be enough, we'll see.
    2- sell it, of course at a loss (take it as a lesson for not doing proper research with my exact needs) and build a quiet compact desktop.

6. minc3

Reputations:
    I think the issue lies in the new 6 cores 8750h which is known to be a toaster (although not so new now, the current 9th gen 8 cores line up is even hotter).

I noticed that most of the new thin + light gaming laptop nowadays are struggling to keep the 8750h cool. Running at 80-90c+ stock and will need to undervolt it + repaste to keep the temp slightly low. Good thing with your unit is you can undervolt it; not like mine, can’t undervolt. Maybe you want to try LM to push the temp further down?

Regarding the fan noise, it is unavoidable thou. Even if you go with the LM repaste route. The fan will still kick in when it is underload, but i believe the fan speed will be slightly lower like what happens to my unit. I did not use LM but after the Kryonaut repaste. I do noticed that the fans kick in slightly later and even when they ramp up, the speed is slightly slower due to the overall lower temp.

Indeed, a watercooled desktop will be a lot better. You might want to get a compact watercooled powerhouse thou:D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Aradhakr84 likes this.
  7. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think that is the struggle with any desktop replacement laptop. You should probably try Option # 1 because you are beyond return period. Rather than selling it for a loss, why not try going to LM to see if it improves the situation.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    minc3 likes this.
  8. cucubits

Reputations:
    Yes, I'll see how it works with LM and I also want to experiment a bit with the back cover. Honestly the intake cutouts seem way too small for the amount of air it needs. Wonder if this is by design or not, but I can try to run it with the back cover off for a bit and see if it makes a difference.

The desktop build option is also good, I mean I don't really need it to be a laptop. My previous G751JY (about the same size as this) was moved from its place on my desk exactly zero times in over 2 years. They're not really designed to be traveled with. But on the other hand, I love how clean these make the desk look, no extra wires and way more compact than an actual desktop.

There's no way some of these are locked and some aren't. You must find a way to do this. It has to be some windows thing messing up or blocking the registry entries which are probably changed by ThrottleStop.

In the mean time, I've powered mine off last night. Curious to see if the voltage changes are still applied when I get home today.

9. cucubits

Reputations:
    Here's another thought. What software could I maybe use to get full manual control of both fans?
    Please don't recommend asus bundled (cr)app as that doesn't seem to let me control anything at all.

I could set up a manual profile for the fans to spool up to just below the point where they get too loud and then I could watch the temps, where/if they are stabilizing under load.

10. minc3

Reputations:
    I did noticed some post about modding the bottom panel and in fact the design of the panels are restricting the airflow. However, i do believe there must be some logic behind the “designed” vent right? LOL.

I have no idea what’s wrong with my setting thou. I tried to uv it on the first day I received it but failed. Tried with TS and then XTU. No idea why. Even @unclewebb said nothing can be done since Asus decided to restrict everything.