*** ASUS ROG G703GX-XS71 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Specifications:

Display

17.3" FHD (1920x1080), 144Hz 3ms IPS-Level, 72% NTSC, 100% sRGB, 300 nits, Anti-Glare Wide-Viewing Angle w/ G-Sync Technology

Video Graphics & Memory

NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2080 w/ 8GB GDDR6
    Processor Support

and
    Heat Management

Intel® 8th Generation Coffee Lake Core™ i7-8750H 6 Core - 12 Thread Processor, 2.2 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 4.1 GHz), 9MB Smart Cache

Optional:

Gelid GC Extreme – 8.5 W/mK Thermal Conductivity, Non-Electrically Conductive

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut – 73.0 W/mK Thermal Conductivity, Electrically Conductive

Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pad – 11.0 W/mK Thermal Conductivity, Non-Electrically Conductive

Operating System
    Genuine Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Chipset Mobile Intel HM370 Express Chipset
    System Memory (RAM)
    16GB DDR4 2666MHz System Memory (1 x 16GB) - 4 Memory Slots

Optional:

Expandable up to 128GB DDR4/2666MHz System Memory

Hard Drive

512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 1TB Firecuda Hybrid SSHD

Optional:

Asus ROG HyperDrive Extreme (3x PCIe NVMe in RAID 0)

Up to 3x 2TB PCIe NVMe x4 M.2 SSD in RAID 0, Up to 2TB 2.5" HDD or 4TB 2.5" SATA III SSD

Optical Drive

None

Optional:

External DVDRW or Blu-Ray Read-Write/8x Super Multi Combo Drive

Card Reader
    SD

Video Camera Built-in HD 2.0MP (720p) Web Camera
    LAN/WLAN

Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 5.0

Input/Output
    1x Microphone-in jack;
    1x Headphone-out Jack;
    1x RJ45 LAN - 10/100/1000 Mbps/2.5G
    1x HDMI 2.0;
    1x mini Display Port 1.3;
    1x Thunderbolt 3 (SP)
    3x USB Type-A 3.1 (Gen.2);
    1x USB Type-C 3.1 (Gen 2)

Audio
    2x 2W (34*11mm) Tweeter

2x 4.5W (28Φ) with Smart AMP Woofer

ESS Smart Amp

Keyboard and Touchpad ROG AURA Sync RGB Illuminated Chiclet Keyboard Per-Key
    Battery 8 Cells Battery, 96WHrs
    AC Adapter
    Output :
    20 V DC, 14 A, 2x 280 W + converter box
    Input :
    100 -240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal

Dimension & Weight
    424 x 320 x 47.5 ~ 50 mm (WxDxH), 16.7 x 12.5 x 1.87 ~ 2.0 inches

10.35 lbs, 4.7Kg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2019
  2. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :D

Got one of the little monsters on the way. Should arrive tomorrow or Friday. Can't wait for that new laptop smell that's so addictive. Can't believe how much I paid for this thing.

If anyone wants to see any details, close-up shots or whatever, just ask. I need to get my post count going so I can sell my G751JY (980m) :p

Spartan likes this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    please post your benchmarks and temps if you can and impressions about the screen and keyboard

4. cucubits

Reputations:
    I will. Delivery took a bit longer than expected, I should get it tomorrow by the end of day if UPS is accurate.

I haven't been around the current benchmarking scene. What are the programs to use nowadays? Any specific version of 3D Mark or is there anything else? Also, for fps/temp monitoring, what's the recommended software?

This is coming from amazon, not re-pasted or anything.

5. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got this beast on wednesday (from Best Buy) It is completely stock. Added 16gb RAM for total of 32gb (Dual channel). Was cross shopping this laptop against MSI Titan and Area-51m. The pricing vs features on this laptop was better than the other two. So far no regrets.

GPU
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screen
    Screen is excellent with 1080p resolution and 144hz with 3ms refresh rate. I had to return my Strix Scar II with RTX 2070 due to bad backligh bleed. This has the dreaded ips glow, but it does not look as bad as shown in picture below. The screen could have been better if it had higher resolution than 1080p.

[​IMG]

Keyboard

It is a chiclet style keyboard with good travel distance. No flex on the chassis and built solid. The keyboard is of high quality and has per key rgb lighting which can customized by Aura tool. For some reason, Aura tool breaks after the windows update. I had to manually reinstall the Armoury crate service and reinstall the tool. Even then, sometimes it does not let me customize until I close it and reopen it again. It is annoying sometimes. Luckily, I don't change the keyboard colors often.

[​IMG]

Benchmarks

This laptop comes with the single channel RAM of 16gb. I have added another 16gb RAM and having dual channel increases performances in gaming and benchmark. During 3dMark benchmark run, I never saw the gpu or cpu temp go over 85c.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Having dual channel helps during gaming. So far only tested out Shadow of Tomb Raider. With single channel I got around 73-75 fps. Having dual channel RAM increased my fps to 103. Temps occasionally reached to 95c but averaged around 85-88c. It could do better with some modifications like repasting etc. So far no complaints

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Spartan, AirTortoise and hmscott like this.
  6. cucubits

Reputations:
    Does repasting void the factory warranty?

7. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Repasting does not void warranty if done right.

8. AirTortoise

AirTortoise Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How do things look for you when Gsync is enabled, especially with fast movement like rotating the camera in something like tomb raider or assassins creed odyssey?

I’m on my third unit and considering returning it and giving up all together on the model. They all had horrible ghosting when Gsync is enabled, worst I’ve ever seen. Threads on nvidia and rog websites seem to indicate that it’s a common problem with these 144hz Asus laptops.

Pretty bummed, I really liked it aside from this. Suppose I’ll give the GT75 a try.

9. Aradhakr84

Aradhakr84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It looks normal to me. I did not see any ghosting with Gsync enabled. I am planning on returning it due to bad bleeding. I am thinking of exchanging it for another or possibly return it and get Area 51M. I like this laptop so much but this is my second asus I have returned in a month due to backlight bleed. Previously bought Strix Scar II with RTX 2070 and had to return it due to bad backlight bleed.

10. cucubits

Reputations:
    It's here!

So far it seems to be working fine. Arrived pretty late last night so I didn't have that much time to mess with it. Only thing I updated the nvidia drivers but I think I'm missing something, there seems to be just a few options. Can't find the usual g-sync settings, can't find that optimus thing where you can switch which graphics adapter is active, etc. Is there anything else that needs to be installed for this? On my 751JY I have way more settings there o_O

1.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    3.jpg