Asus ROG G701VI - Air-cooled single GTX 1080 laptop

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by hmscott, Oct 6, 2016.

1. BL4D3_RUNN3R

BL4D3_RUNN3R Newbie

Reputations:
    @Tikerz: nice! i know the difference between liquid metal and thermal paste is insane! do you have your clocks at standard? how did you managed to undervolt the gpu?

Tikerz and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What undervolt did you run while on stock paste?

Undervolt should have dropped the stock paste thermals to run under in the 80's when the Asus autofan profile spun up the fans to adequate cooling speed.

Asus tends to run their autofan curve weighted toward the quiet side and let the CPU heat up initially - then spin faster to cool it down once it appears that the CPU load will continue - which can trigger thermal throttling briefly.

But, you've gone through all that effort successfully, so it's a moot point now. But, I've found that undervolt and fan curve tuning can completely avoid the need to re-paste, which for most people is too much of a hassle to engage themselves.

Glad to hear it worked out well for you. :)

Tikerz likes this.
  3. Tikerz

Tikerz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's running the Extreme setting so it boosts to 4.3GHz. I'm using MSI Afterburner to undervolt the GPU. You have to edit a file to unlock voltage control on the card. From there I'm using a custom voltage curve to undervolt.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Tikerz

Tikerz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ran the same undervolt on stock and it dropped some but still in the mid 80's. I'm SO glad that Asus made the heatsink removal ridiculously easy unlike Dell Alienware.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You probably could have adjusted the fan curve, and elevated the rear a couple of inches higher than the front to start convective cooling, and been just fine :)

Running in the 80c's under load is fine, the CPU is rated to run up to 100c, and as long as you aren't throttling - which starts at 93c, you aren't losing performance due to temperature.

Spending a bunch of time and effort to get the thermals lower is a game unto itself, but it has no effect on performance or longevity of the CPU / laptop - in fact opening it up and mucking about is going to have a higher risk for far more damage than running at 80c's under load ever would.

I'm glad it's working out nicely for you. :)

Tikerz likes this.
  6. slickone

slickone Newbie

Reputations:
    iunlock or anyone that has repasted and replaced thermal pads in the g701vik, can you please tell me what size thermal pads for the chips are best? Not sure if .5 or 1m would be better for this laptop. Thank you in advance.

7. Dominik0315

Dominik0315 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello that’s my first post .I would like to ask I have a choice of 2 laptops. Asus G701 VIK 4K and Aorus X7 DT V8 . Which should I choose ? I focus mostly on games. I need to make a decision till tuesday
    Regards