Asus ROG G701VI - Air-cooled single GTX 1080 laptop

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by hmscott, Oct 6, 2016.

1. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can do maximum -105mhz undervolt. I use my computer at standard mod without an OC. Maybe that is the reason I can undervolt less than you.

BL4D3_RUNN3R and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Every CPU is unique, recommended -100mV is just that a first value to try that for most people works at stock speeds (no OC or detune), and can be as little as -15mV before BSOD or as high as -220mV - which is amazing :)

If you feel so inclined you can add more undervolt from -100mV in -10mV increments until BSOD during load or idle mode tests, every little bit can help reduce temperatures and put off fan RPM increases.

But, really if you can get -100mV on first try, that's enough for the job of reducing top load temps, and if you'd rather be gaming or working instead of fine tuning undervolt, then do that instead and enjoy. :)

BL4D3_RUNN3R likes this.
  3. BL4D3_RUNN3R

BL4D3_RUNN3R Newbie

Reputations:
    yeah, the bandwith is insane!
    it's also not safe to say, that with higher overclock i can lesser undervolt, right? as i know, the critical zone when undervolted isn't under full load, it's more while starting up, idle, browsing...

tonight i will try to go further to about -0.150/-0.160 ... but i think at about -0.150 is my limit for stable use... had tried this before and got a startup error (wrong password / username = at least i don't even use it on this device! :p) so i thought that would be because of my undervolting...

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes, the higher the multiplier goes the lower the undervolt you will get, at some point no undervolt at say 4.0ghz-4.2ghz for most, I had a small undervolt at 4.5ghz, but that's unusual. On the 5950HQ I had undervolt til about 3.8ghz, then no undervolt at 4.0ghz, and it needed overvolt to reach 4.2ghz/4.3ghz - which was only useful for quick benchmarks, not stable day to day use settings.

The 6820HK was about the same, and the 7820HK really improved undervolt range on up through top OC for some CPU's.

The Haswell / Broadwell let you split undervolt for CPU Cores and CPU cache, which you can't do any longer. When you could I would undervolt the cache lower than the cores, say stop undervolt on cache or run stock with no undervolt on cache, and only do undervolt on CPU.

Undervolt tuning really is a great way to reduce temps without re-pasting, and is an additional way to reduce temps if you do re-paste. :)

BL4D3_RUNN3R likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Can still on Skylake/Kaby with ThrottleStop. Up to a certain level.

hmscott likes this.
  6. BL4D3_RUNN3R

BL4D3_RUNN3R Newbie

Reputations:
    so, here some measurements from my side again:

CPU overclocked to 3.9GHz on all 4 cores.
    CPU undervolted with maximum of -146.5mV (at -150 my system freezed...)
    CPU stresstest passed with peak temps at 72 degrees. (average at about 58 / 59) - (i used xtu cpu stresstest... when i'm using xtu benchmark, it goes up to a maximum of 81 degrees)

so, my first conclusion is, this is indeed a very nice chip!
    (if it would run on stock there should be more stable undervolting beyond -150mV)

now i'm just testing again some gaming on it.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    3.5mv aint good enough headroom for later changes who will come. You are at the border. Hope you have backups.

BL4D3_RUNN3R likes this.
  8. BL4D3_RUNN3R

BL4D3_RUNN3R Newbie

Reputations:
    of course, my "fine-tuning" for 24/7 stable isn't finished yet... :)

i think at the end of the day i stick at about a multiplier of 39 39 38 37 / -0.125mV or something like that... my goal is, to bring down peak temps while heavy gaming / benchmarking to a maximum of 85 (with an average temp of about 77-80 per core) i think i could live with that and it wouldn't affect longevity...

hmscott likes this.
  9. BL4D3_RUNN3R

BL4D3_RUNN3R Newbie

Reputations:
    So, after adjustments, i'm here with my final setting:

- preparations: repaste with thermal grizzly kryonaut
    - software: ROG GC completely uninstalled - xtu installed (just for tests) / throttlestop installed (for undervolting / overclocking)
    - overclocking: CPU Multi set to: 39 39 38 37
    - undervolting: CPU Core / Cache set to -130mV

that brings me to very comfortable temps while staying all the time fully stable:
    idle temps: 34 / 34 / 37 / 33
    load temps while playing the division: 81 / 79 / 80 / 76 (average are 67 / 67 / 67 / 64!)
    the highest load temps while playing the divison AND dowloading games from steam: 81 / 79 / 84 / 78

so, i think i'm staying with these settings and check my temps now just from time to time...
    i've also tried other cpu eatin' games, but imho the division is the hardest one to beat! :)

i'm also happy, that it was possible to overclock the cpu, while doin' an undervolting at the same time.

for this device i'm absolutely happy with these results!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  10. Tikerz

Tikerz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was able to get a brand new in the box G701VIK here locally for a great price. The temperatures were in the 90's while gaming so I repasted with with Grizzly Conductonaut. First time using it and wow what a difference. I have the CPU undervolted -80mV and the GPU undervolted to 0.90V. Temps max out at 70C. I was shocked at how much the GPU could undervolt.

hmscott likes this.