Asus ROG G701VI - Air-cooled single GTX 1080 laptop

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by hmscott, Oct 6, 2016.

1. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am definitely not against of 1070, even 1060 would be ok for me. I first bought GL702VM but it was hot and loud. Also backlight bleeding was too much. I returned it. I just got G701vik because I found a nice deal of 1900€ of a 4 months old laptop.

Asus EMEA already wrote and created a case number for sending that one for free for screen to be replaced, but as far as I read, it will be again pure luck to have a better screen. Added a picture to be a reference for people.

Also keyboard light is weak at some points so it might be fixed at warranty as well.

Attached Files:

2. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I think I will have a repaste for my machine. How much celcius drop I can expect and which brand I should use?

As far as I experience when the machine is around 70-80 celcius it is loud enough but if I can keep it within 60-65 celcius range, I can finally have a pleasant fan noise level.

Does repasting avoid a warranty in Asus?

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Voiding the warranty depends on the region you are in. For the US replies from Asus Support have been you aren't voiding the warranty by breaking the warranty sticker to replace HD / SSD or fan cleaning.

You should ask Asus support before doing it, to make sure it's allowed. Asus will notice it if you re-paste, and unless you ask and get an "ok" on file in your ticket support, it could be a problem if they blame you for damage done during re-pasting.

4. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    I am reading terms and conditions and many things can void the warranty in my region. I am quite curious if I ask them to re-paste at Asus service how quality work they would do and how quality brand they would use...

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Some have mentioned getting other pastes used by Asus for re-pasting years ago. I haven't heard anything recently, but it's worth a try, if your CPU / GPU really need repasting.

The quality of paste for cooling vs long untouched use is the issue. Asus and other vendors use paste that may not bring down the temps as far, but they last longer - which is why you find repasting using enthusiast paste works at bringing down temps, but then you find yourself repasting many times over the life of the laptop keeping those temps down.

If you can undervolt enough to get the temps under the thermal throttling point - about 93c - under 100% benchmark / gaming load, you can skip re-pasting.

That's why I recommend trying undervolting first to get the temps down, then you can enjoy the laptop without pulling it apart multiple times over years of ownership.

If the cooling is good enough to keep you from thermal throttling, further cooling isn't really buying you anything helpful, no additional performance, all it's buying you is spending time and money for no good reason.

Re-pasting isn't all it's cracked up to be when you find yourself doing it multiple times, wasting time doing that instead of enjoying the laptop doing what you bought it to do in the first place. :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does ASUS send techs for at home service?

I generally suggest avoiding having company techs from touching your laptop. But If you have a video or picture guide on another device ready for them to follow, plus have your own paste ready to go... most can be convinced of doing it your way. Supervise, but be helpful and positive.

Phobia NanoGrease is the best non conductive paste at the moment. Second is Grizzly Kryonaut.

Alternatively, you can do it yourself and try Heat gun and razer blade to remove certain stickers without damaging

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    @PredatoR_TR
    The problem is none of this actually fools the tech doing the service the next time the laptop is in for service on another issue.

The new paste / re-paste job stands out visibly to anyone that opens up these laptops dozens of times a day, it's just not going to pass by their notice.

If the problem the laptop was sent in to fix can be tagged as user induced by the re-paste / opening the laptop, the vendor can and will often deny service, or make you pay instead of covering it under warranty.

I've talked through people in this situation, and you can talk the vendor out of charging or denying service, but it's an unnerving situation for many people to go through.

It's not worth the long term worry and hassle opening the laptop against warranty terms to fix something that should be fixed by the vendor under RMA, or by returning the laptop and getting another unit.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You sound like one of these company representatives. You should really add under your avatar who you represent:D Msi or Asus?:p Let me try... Asus?:vbbiggrin:

Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    No, I don't work for and haven't worked for Asus or MSI :)

It sounds that way because I am relaying the comments of Asus / MSI technicians filtered through people dealing with MSI, Asus, etc suport when they get caught having opened up the laptop and futzed with the internals and trying to mask / lie their way through getting caught.

The vendors don't put up with this any more than you would if someone borrowed a piece of equipment from you and then pulled it apart in a way you detected when getting it back from them.

Tool marks, cleaned areas that shouldn't be cleaned - all the laptops go through manufacturing a certain way and all exhibit the same dirt, clutter, marks, and as you see each laptop (frame) in unending sequence (movie) when a laptop (frame) shows up out of sequence - with marks or missing marks - it stands out.

That's how the vendor tech's detect the laptops opened up. The reapplied stickers, glue missing on the back - or different glue - tool marks on screws or around the holes - marred plastic - deburred edges on cases where the snaps connect.

These things are so far outside the thinking or awareness of a non-experienced person that they can't be blamed for thinking they will fool an experienced person, but they won't fool anyone but themselves. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  10. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    I have started to get this at every startup. Why does it continuously ask that?

Attached Files: