Asus ROG G701VI - Air-cooled single GTX 1080 laptop

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by hmscott, Oct 6, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Asus now has several GTX 1080 models.

The GX800VH which is the water-cooled SLI GTX 1080 model
    https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ROG-GX800VH/

The G800VI which is the water-cooled single GTX 1080 model
    https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ROG-G800VI/

And, now a G701VI air-cooled single GTX 1080 model.
    https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ROG-G701VI/

Asus also has the GTX 1070/1060 single GPU GL702/GL502 which have a similar thin profile like the G701VI, but there is no current GTX 1080 model GL702/GL502.

The Asus G752VS is also a single GTX 1070 model. There is currently no GTX 1080 G752 model.

2. hmscott

Reputations:
    Not many video's covering the G701VI yet...

3. alexkyse

alexkyse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm waiting patiently until this laptop will be available and I can see a review... As I heard, those Asus G models have bad overclocking and heat dissipation...

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    You heard wrong :)

All of my Asus laptops have OC'd, CPU and GPU, with undervolt and auto fan speeds they were all quiet and didn't throttle - they were the quietest running at the time of all other brands.

The G701VI is a thin laptop with a 1080, it's going to be a flame thrower just like all the other GTX 1080 models, except this one is even thinner than all but the Aorus X7 - which is a good thing - the Asus G701VI should be able to do a better job cooling with that slightly greater thickness (1.3" vs 1.x")

Let's wait and see what the reviews show, but even then we haven't been getting experienced reviewers covering new laptops, just amateurs with their own quirks and beliefs, so you need to watch the numbers and how they treat them.

They also don't tune the laptop, so out of the box they will tend to run quieter rather than cooler, up until it hits maximum before thermal throttling, then the fans kick in and cool it down below the throttling point, and keep it there.

Don't look to get a cool running 1080, in any package, but especially in a thin laptop - the hot exhaust air is gonna be hot enough to pop popcorn :confused::D:eek:o_O

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Clintlgm and micman like this.
  5. alexkyse

Reputations:
    I hope, I'm happy to talk with someone that knows Asus G laptops, because I'm waiting those pascal laptops since March, and I keep waiting, but it's a shame that the G701VI don't have a RGB keyboard, I would go for the G800VI but it's too expensive and the 4K display doesn't convince me, I want refresh rate :)

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    The Pascal laptops are just now coming out from everywhere, and slow to market, slow through production, and there is a lot of misinformation and partial information on specs, displays, etc.

It's going to be weeks / months for things to become clear, and by then the next round of laptops with Kabylake Series 200 motherboard chipsets and Pascal refresh will be out.

It's a constant flurry of information to come to terms with, it takes a while to sync up and be able to get the core info out of what is available.

You can't just jump in and get what you want after a few bits of research, but you can get close.

Not too much really bad out there, except at the top end, both 1080 SLI laptops are really pushing the limits of cooling and power, but stepping down to single 1080 or 1070, or 1070 SLI gives good results.

It will be fun to see how all the single 1080 laptops fair dealing with thermal and power demands :)

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You know, It can be damn cold winters here home in Norway, but I would rather freeze to death than buy and fire up a thin BGA gaming machine to heating up here home:D And I can pop popcorn in my microwave if I have to:cool:But that's me:oops:

hmscott likes this.
  8. alexkyse

Reputations:
    Are the Kaby Lake worth the wait and are they far from now until we see them in the laptop market with one Asus G series ?

I have 3500€ to waste on a laptop and I don't know what I can have with that money, I would like to have a G800VI for that money in europe, but the 4K is not what I wish, It would be nice to be able to configure a G laptop at your own way here in Europe...

Do the prices of the Skylake + GTX 10 series will drop a bit when Kaby Lake will appear in the "upgraded models"?

Sorry but I'm very excited by the performance of those and I have a lot of questions... :p:p

Ohhh btw, I love the G800 chasis, If I could swap it and use it for a G701VI it would be a dream... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    There might be an air-cooled version of the water-cooled G800VI, as there was for the G700 980, but nothing announced yet. It should be possible as there are air-cooled single 1080's.

All the rest are unknown's until they release. :)

As with all these high performance laptops, you have anywhere from 3-6 months of being "on top" with a uniquely advantageous configuration / performance, and then another competitor or the same make will offer an upgraded version, or another model.

Pick something you think you can live with over a long ownership, and take care to make an effort to remind yourself of this specific long term decision over the life of ownership, lest your eye stray's and becomes infatuated with another wallet ruiner :D

10. alexkyse

Reputations:
    Thank you so much! We will see, at the moment I have a long ownership, I still own a HP Pavillion dv7 with a Core 2 Duo T6600 and a ATI HD 4650 1 GB since December 2009, If I buy something, I want that it lasts. I'm still using it perfectly to work with virtual machines, university projects and documents... :D

800€ since 2009, my laptop served me very good :cool:
    But I can see that is the time to upgrade...

hmscott likes this.