Asus ROG Chimera G703

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by sicily428, Aug 29, 2017.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd say I'm 80% sure they work. With normal sounds/music it's very hard to tell sounds like high freq is coming from there.

Unstoppable36SG likes this.
  2. Unstoppable36SG

Unstoppable36SG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think it is easier tell sounds coming out of them if the volume would be set fairly low, maybe 5-10%? They shouldn't vibrate, but I wasn't able to hear them still, with different types of sounds already tested.

By the way, I own this laptop for like 2 days now. I got it at a good discount from a local store (less than 1500 eur, VAT included), but it is the base model with 7700HQ. And the bottleneck from the CPU is just a bit more than I expected, even with 4x DSR in some games for reaching 4K. (Division 2, for example, can reach maximum like 80% GPU usage in city, crowded areas).

Here, this costed less than all of the mid-range chassis 1070 laptops. But now I'm wondering whether it is worth keeping it or not after all. I do need to create a new thread for a discussion like this, right?

3. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a 7700HQ and a 1080. And for gaming going for the stronger GPU was a good move. I would only suggest undervolting the 7700HQ and setting to to the max clock speed it will go (3.8GHz I think?) using ThrottleStop to extract from it what you can.

So long as you have a 4C/8T CPU I think the priority should always be go for the fastest GPU you can afford, which is what you did.

The VI is a good version of the G703 to have, even without the unlocked i7. 1 power brick only, good thermals, no issues with undervolting, all 16 PCIe lines from the CPU dedicated to the GPU (and not shared with storage like the newer models), and a CM chipset (not HM like the newer models). And you got it for a great price. Keep it and enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. Unstoppable36SG

Reputations:

Thank you! I think it is easier to check them at a lower volume, when the 2 other ones are also producing less sound. I still need to test myself and find any clue of sound getting out of the 2 front-facing ones.

I discovered that I made the rookie mistake of not realizing that the RAM is in single-channel mode. I thought it had 2x8gb, but it only has one stick of 16gb.

And yes, I've seen the thread for the Coffee Lake variant of the G703, there are some UV problems. And the double power brick can indeed be a pain in the back :)

<<<<<Regarding ThrottleStop, I've used it to apply -80mv for starters -- but I've noticed lower Cinebench R15 score (699 with -80mv undervolt, 730 with the default +19.5 mv). Also lower performance in games slightly, for example in Division 2<<<<
    ^^^ No longer true, CPU performance is now constant while in the Extreme config from the Gaming Center.

Temps are ok for now but I'm still going to test more, even before I'm getting another RAM stick. The clock speed is 3410mhz, when all cores are in use.

Edit: Can't wait to see whether the tweeter speakers from your laptop seem to produce sound or not :rolleyes:

5. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We should find a sample audio link with very high pitch tones or something like this to test consistently that the speakers are actually working properly.

I've found -100mv works on my i7 8750H. At -120mv it froze after a few minutes in a game menu.

Edit: also, I've limited the frequency, I run it at 3.1Ghz all the time. I have no noticeable performance drop in games (I don't keep everything on ultra) and the fans don't go as crazy as they would on the default turbo 4.1Ghz speed.

6. Unstoppable36SG

Reputations:
    I uninstalled the Realtek Audio drivers downloaded from Asus and now there are 2 options for speakers. The tweeters work! :D

Can I get a share in PM of the archive with the eSupport folder (for G703VI) from one of the owners here? I'm thinking of taking the Audio driver from there.

7. Unstoppable36SG

Reputations:
    This is how the 2 selections for Speakers look now. All of them are working, but it seems that I don't have the right driver for them to work at the same time (can only have 2 of them with one selection there).

Regarding the processor, well, medium or lower settings do in fact put a higher stress on the CPU, because there would be more fps to push. Albeit I'm not surprised seeing the 8750H to manage well with no hiccups, as it is 6C/12T. Anyway, you are also probably running your RAM in dual-channel, mine still only has 1 stick of 16gb.

Edit: All of the speakers work correctly now! There were 2 drivers for Audio and I had the newer one.

But the first and older one worked correctly.

Attached Files:

8. sniffin

Reputations:
    I think they are? It’s hard to tell. Glad you got it sorted.

I don’t know what ASUS we’re thinking WRT that single channel memory.

Edit: To be honest, I think before you make too many decisions about how adequate the 7700HQ is, I would correct that single channel memory problem. If I set my 7820HK to 3.4GHz, it still isn't bottlenecking the GTX 1080 in everything I've tried (Anthem, Division 2, Fallout 76). No hiccups of any kind. And if you look at PC performance analysis of these games around the internet, anything past 4C/4T shows little improvement, except in Division 2 where there are small increases as you go up to 6C/12T (emphasis on small increases).

You're cutting memory bandwidth to the CPU in half with that setup (18.75GB/s instead of 37.5GB/s), and Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake have been shown to scale pretty well with faster memory. I'd argue with dual channel memory you won't experience hiccups or frame drops like you are now.

Edit2: I found this benchmark of a 7820HK/1080 setup in AC Odyssey, which was very CPU heavy from what I remember when I played it (all 8 threads pegged between 80-100). It shows a massive difference in single vs dual channel.

https://www.purepc.pl/notebooki/test_pamieci_ddr4_single_channel_vs_dual_channel_w_laptopie?page=0,3

9. Unstoppable36SG

Reputations:
    I've ordered 2 sticks of CL14 2400mhz HyperX RAM, 16gb. I'll see what I do with the single 16gb in the meantime. I couldn't find local deals for it to dual channel them together...

I'm having a couple issues with Shadowplay's audio recording, the audio is very high pitched. Tried a lot of combinations (and uninstalls) with Sonic Studio and the Realtek driver, couldn't fix it still. Do you think you can share your eSupport drivers folder with me, as I also have the VI variant?

sniffin likes this.
  10. sniffin

Reputations:
    The folder is 3GB, and with my terrible upload speed it would take months to upload. I can give you the driver versions that are in the folder though:

Realtek: 6.0.1.8224
    Sonic Studio: [BETA]3.6.12.44181

If you need any others let me know, or maybe someone with good upload could host it somewhere. As far as your issues goes, wouldn't that be Nvidia related?