Asus ROG Chimera G703

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by sicily428, Aug 29, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    G703GX Review - Core i9 and NVIDIA RTX 2080 Gaming Laptop g Laptop

2. Frencho

Frencho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all.

I’m currently contemplating the purchase of an 17.3” ASUS ROG G703 GX Chimera series laptop (the one with the RTX 2080) from vendors who offer customization, repaste and display cherry picking services.
    Considering that ASUS ROG has been using the same chassis, motherboard and intel chipset for the last couple of years I’m posting my query in all threads across the ROG G703 lineup for increased feedback and input from either owners or vendors regarding the customization I want to do. I guess this does not count against the Cross posting rule as I’m posting multiple times in the same forum and not across different ones?

Can the ASUS MOBO and the Mobile Intel HM370 Express Chipset handle DDR4 3200MHz SO-DIMM RAM (2 x 8GB dual channel), as in XMP keeping the system stable and reliable at those overclocked frequencies. This G.SKILL Ripjaws module is the laptop memory I’ve found with the tightest CAS latency timings 16-18-18-43 (tighter than most 2666 kits I’ve browsed), price of dual channel kit 200$. Or should I just stick to 2666 MHz as the mobile MOBO might be less capable than a desktop MOBO due to voltage and thermal limitations? Have any of the owners put 3200 Mhz RAM or Higher inside their ASUS G703 Chimera?

How easy is it for a vendor to acquire and swap the AUO B173HAN03.2 AHVA Display panel (6-bit, slower response time) for the AUO B173HAN04.0 AHVA Display panel (8-bit, faster response time)? Both display panels are 1080p, G-Synch enabled and have a refresh rate of 144Hz, so I guess they are plug and play for the ASUS G703 Chimera series. Comparison chart. Only thing that worries me is the presence of a MUX to switch of G-Synch and enable Nvidia Optimus for the GX model over the GI, would the MUX accept the newer 8-bit display panel and still work? Has any owner here upgraded their screen successfully?

I would greatly appreciate any answers to my queries.

Best regards.

3. Frencho

Frencho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wonder if ASUS RoG will refresh the G703 series with the Intel Z390 chipset and Intel 9th generation 8 core 45 Watt TDP Coffe Lake Refresh CPUs this summer. The 9th gen mobile H, HK CPUs are rumored to launch mid to late April.

4. Unstoppable36SG

Unstoppable36SG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've recently got in possession of a Chimera, model G703VI, the one with 7700HQ and 1080 (found it cheap enough). But I've noticed a problem with the front speakers (the ones to the left and right of the ROG logo, below the display). It seems they do not produce any sound at all.

I have installed all the drivers from Asus correctly, played with the Sonic studio settings in order to find and change audio. I've also booted an Ubuntu and tried the audio there.

It's like this: When I get closer to the front speakers, it seems that only the 2 more powerful ones can be heard. If I put my fingers on the panel plastic or on top of the speaker grills, there's no vibration.

Can I get a few opinions from potential possessors of a G703 series laptop? I want to be sure whether it is a hardware problem.

5. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Front speakers? Are you sure there's supposed to be more than two?

When I opened mine (703GX) I saw only these two:

upload_2019-4-8_13-34-33.png

On a side note, I like the audio on this laptop more than the previous ones. It seems to reproduce directional sounds better and there's no frame buzzing/vibration.

Unstoppable36SG likes this.
  6. Unstoppable36SG

Reputations:
    Yep! It's also mentioned in the Tech Specs: "2x 2W speakers + 2x 4.5W speakers with Smart AMP technology". I think the 2W are the ones that are near the screen hinges (which are not working for me), while the 4.5W ones are the ones down, and located inside the chasis.

I've read reviews where it was mentioned how the 2W speakers are for highs and high-mediums, while the others for bass.

Edit: If you play some music, can you sense any vibration coming from the 2W front-facing speaker grills if you place your hand on them?

7. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll check tonight when I get home.

8. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it the original OS install with all the relevant drivers? You might try using device manager to see if the speakers aren't installed correctly or reinstalling from the eSupport folder?

9. Unstoppable36SG

Reputations:
    It's a recent clean installation of Windows 10 v1809 that I'm running now and I didn't make a backup of that folder I'm afraid -- but I've installed all of the drivers available from Asus Support for G703VI, including the latest Audio driver and the Sonic Suite apps :)

I've also booted Ubuntu and the front-facing speakers weren't working there either. If it's something from the drivers/settings, it must be really hidden. Anyway, you are able to tell whether those 2 speakers are also transmitting sound, right? The ones that are both relatively close to each of the display hinges.

10. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I won’t be able to check for myself until tonight at the earliest. Looking at https://edgeup.asus.com/2017/rog-g703-chimera-144hz-gaming-laptop/ they seem to be tweeters which AFAIK are for higher frequency sounds. I’m not an audio expert so I’m unsure of how much they are supposed to contribute to the sound in the real world.

Edit: NOT an audio expert

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019