Asus ROG Chimera G703

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, Aug 29, 2017.

1. icic2017

icic2017 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    up... Is there any review (English) for this beast?

2. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    icic2017 likes this.
  3. icic2017

icic2017 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're going to have to wait for someone with some overclocking experience to actually buy it and do some tests better than that crap you see over at LTT.

Is the Bios completely locked down?
    Does it have the infamous hybrid battery drain issue of the GL502VS series?
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...ing-while-Plugged-in/page19&highlight=GL502VS
    can the 45W TDP of the CPU be overridden through Bios?
    Can max amps/cpu current (ICCMax) be changed in Bios or must XTU be used?
    Is there a hard artificial power cap? How good is the cooling at max fans? Stock for stock paste?

This version needs to be tested in depth. Because it could either be a half decent BGAbook, or a power throttled abortion.
    The Clevo laptops for instance, throttle harder than the MSI GT73, without a prema bios.

No one has done any in depth hardcore testing of the GT75VR, but there are plenty of MSI power shenanigans and fake VID reporting and VID boosting in the GT73VR. And the HM175 chipset version will cap the CPU at 800 mhz if the max power exceeds 330W (test done with the "HM175" EC 17A1EMS1.112 on a CM238, through the unlocked Bios by PSYS_PMax=337W (2700). The CM238 version (EC 17A1EMS1.108) does not seem to do this, probably because there is an SLI version available (it may still PL2 power limit the CPU to 45W, but no one has tested exceeding 330W (only possible with an unlocked TDP GTX 1080, and that Eurocomm PSU), but @sirgeorge found that the battery stops charging if PSYS_PMax is set to 2700, at *idle* (on his SLI with 17A1EMS1.107 EC).

5. hanswalter

hanswalter Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello i got mine. Before i own a MSI GT73VR which i could sell for a good Price. I also had to make the decision to go for the MSI GT75VR 7RF OR ASUS ROG Chimera G703VI. I choose the ASUS ROG Chimera G703VI. The Price for the MSI is much higher than for the ASUS but the Specs are nearly the same.

hmscott and icic2017 like this.
  6. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could you please run Prime95 for 15 minutes and give us a HWinfo screenshots of temperatures? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well , if you are not just trolling (3/4 of total messages are the same), can you please post detailed hwinfo screenshot of the display panel ?

If all goes well, I will get mine next week, if by then there wont be any acceptable review with information we all want to see, I will post one myself.

hmscott likes this.
  8. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why do we get Asus reviews so late than MSI computers? GT75 or some other computers have reviews even before the release. For example GL702VI is already on the market in US for a month and It comes to several countries in Europe, but you can't find anything about that. Almost same for G703VI. XoticPC, etc has them in the stock. Why don't we get a video review from them?

9. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seems this beast has finally appeared in Hungary (Europe) too.
    However so far only found it in stock at 1 shop and even they only have the cheaper 7700HQ model.
    The price for this beast with 7700HQ here is $3350 (converted from HUF). This price is with 27% tax (yep, Hungary has this high tax). If I remove the tax (to see how much would it look like if it was sold in the US) the price is ~$2500.
    Living in Europe is really expensive ...

hmscott likes this.
  10. hanswalter

hanswalter Newbie

Reputations:
    This ist the Hardware Specs from the Asus G703VI:

[​IMG]

I replace the SSD (2x256GB/RAID0) and Harddrive 1TB with Samsung SSD 960EVO 256GB and Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB (2.5").

The Factory build in RAM is from G Skill and additional 32GB RAM is not cheap at the Moment.

This is the Display Panel Info - 1920 x 1080 Pixel.

[​IMG]

icic2017 and hmscott like this.