Asus RMA experience and my rights

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by PredatoR_TR, Apr 3, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, I've had 8 Asus laptops now, with only one needing RMA (many years ago now), all the rest have been "flawless", but then again I've rejected 3 or 4 at the retailer before buying them over the years for various reasons.

A couple for screen reasons, one for "cleanliness" - it was a floor model, one because I changed my mind after initially setting it up - got the next model up.

I overclocked all of them, didn't re-paste any of them as they all undervolted enough to run without thermal throttling, and I OC'd the CPU and GPU as part of the initial testing - most of the time I ran just off the top OC for their entire lives, without any problems during my ownership and the ownership beyond that I was involved with. So no, undervolting and OC didn't cause any issues.

My RMA experience consisted of a couple of phone calls setting up a Will Call RMA, getting the call that the parts were in and I could drop it off, then getting there early that morning and asking if I could please wait for it to be done, they did it in a couple of hours, and I walked away happy.

But, I've helped a lot of people in the intervening years with their RMA's gone bad, and sometimes Asus RMA locations around the world can be "disappointing".

I quickly learned to recommend people be ready with benchmarking tests, gaming tests, inspections that cover functionality of all ports and features, and to do all of that within the first few days of ownership.

The buyer can decide quickly whether they want to keep the laptop or not - so they can return it within the 72 hours to 30 days sellers return period, so they don't incur restocking fees or be stuck with it and have to go through RMA to fix problems.

Doing the acceptance testing quickly but thoroughly really helps avoid RMA after purchase.

As far as RMA down the road, just be careful with your laptop and don't go mucking about inside on your own.

If it's running hotter than you like return it within the return period and get another unit of the same make / model, or do more research and find another laptop to purchase.

At most, do software tuning, undervolting and fan curve tuning to get rid of any top end thermal issues, and if software tuning doesn't work, return it within the return period, don't get all "Home Improvement" on it, return it and let the original maker fix it and sell it "refurbished" to someone else, let them deal with the "RMA" times.

These simple things to do when buying a new laptop, and resisting the urge to "disassemble" your perfectly good working laptop to "improve it" really help avoid a lot of disappointment and long drawn out pain.

Happy to hear you have had untarnished good experiences with Asus like I have. It can happen, and I've met many with the same experience. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Clintlgm likes this.
  2. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I also want to write that after RMA of my G701VIK, I insisted on Asus and I bought G703VI. One of the best laptops I have ever used. No issue at all. I love it.

Sometimes you just get unlucky or, you read the reviews, watch videos (like me) and still make a bad choice by buying a low star or % laptop and then you have headaches.

hmscott and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  3. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank goodness the DELL support seems Ok based on some of the posts here. I am hoping my first ever gaming laptop would come from them. And it appears ASUS is out of my radar now.

However, it is still a bit concerning that this sort of thing could happen in the US of all places. I am planning to buy my laptop from the US And have it bundled with an international warranty to hopefully get enough security with my product. In my nation... Lets just say most of the retailers would refuse to honor your warranty even if you are still well within the warranty period, stating that it is working as intended or the customer must have done something to the product. Most of the time, those retailers who do accept your unit for repairs while under warranty would still charge you for the parts and shipping of said parts (they say only the labor is free) because the replacement parts would come from the original manafacturer and not from them and their warranty does not cover international shipping. You could also forget about getting a replacement product.. It is very rare for that to happen in my nation as far as I am concerned.. There are retailers that would repair the laptop for free under "their warranty" only if the laptop was bought directly from their store and their warranty essentially means they would be the ones to open up the laptop and repair the parts themselves without having full authority from the original manafacturer...most of the time, they do not even replace the parts, just trying to essentially band aid the original parts in the unit to make it "functional". And if it does not get fixed.. Well.. Too bad. You would have to have it shipped back to the original manafacturer and you would have to pay for it all. If you are lucky or if you have a good contact within the retailer, you might get a replacement but it is highly unlikely cause most of these retailers only have a 7 day return or replacement policy. Warranties here suck and the government usually does not want to go after big companies who have lots of money.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.