Asus RMA experience and my rights

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by PredatoR_TR, Apr 3, 2018.

1. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi,

Actually LCD backlight bleeding is the less important problem for me. As you suggested, I can somehow minimize it.

But regarding keyboard? Come on.... I asked them to send me a picture of the new keyboard before they ship the computer back but of course they didn't. How has this keyboard pass the quality assurance test, no idea... It should be the easiest to fix. There must be some without any problem. 1-2 out of 10.

Regarding the speakers. I don't know really. Completely new ones (together with the new case) but problem continues. 3500€ valued laptop shouldn't create such ''annoyances''. People are reading these kind of topics and Asus is losing.

Regarding the refurbished unit. Of course I wouldn't accept same model. I wrote them an e-mail that these are factory problems so I can only accept a newer model. G701VIK is a discontinued model as far as I know but I am sure there are plenty of refurbished unit in the stock.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If they replaced the speakers, perhaps it is what I suggested originally, that the speakers are being over-driven - not too loud - but over-driven by the audio software - creating distortion, maybe investigate that angle? I had a distortion in my G750, others mentioned it rattled keys on their keyboard, then I investigated all the sound setting and found a device entry for the speakers / sub that let you change the drive on them from 100% to 80%, and the rattling and distortion disappeared.

IDK about the keyboard, I've certainly seen a number of light guide based lighting designs fail to have even distribution of light everywhere in the span of the lighting. Another one to get used to.

As far as getting a replacement, I hope that works out for you, please let us know what Asus offers.

PredatoR_TR likes this.
  3. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    I definitely will.

Now I have also realized something very annoying. I have a very small dead pixel on my new LCD screen!!! I said them to put my original screen back when I sent it for the 2nd time because the new one has a worse backlight bleeding but it is not only that! Also a deadpixel! Ohh I am too angry and disappointed against Asus.

Aivxtla and hmscott like this.
  4. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    Asus sent me a credit swap form so that I can send it to the HQ of my region. I don't know what to expect. I nicely explained that refurbished same model won't solve the problem. I hope to get an answer soon. No idea how long it will take.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    It depends on what that HQ has on the "sales shelf" as to how you can spend that credit... maybe call that HQ first and ask what inventory they have available - how much credits specific models "cost", and how often new items become available if you want to wait for the next round of laptops to cash in your credits, all before sending in the laptop for the credits.

Kinda like the "game arcade" how many "tickets" do you need for the "Super Soaker 5000" ;)

Is the current laptop really that bad? You may be trading the "Cow" for a sack of "magic beans"...

PredatoR_TR likes this.
  6. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    Hi,

Can you explain me a bit more? So it is not actually something like a ''total refund'' or same or superior model replacement for my product?

The CPU, GPU and all other main core parts are okay. The thing is here that this is a premium laptop which cost 3500€. I also had G750JZ which cost me 1500€ back then and it didn't have any single issues. Within 3 years I spend 2k€ more but I get irritating sound, screen and keyboard problem. I had also GL702VM which was returned as DOA. Even that model didn't have any keyboard or sound issues like I suffer with G701VIK.

Anyway, if this credit swap form thing won't give me something superior or money refund, I will send my laptop to RMA for 1 year more till my warranty finishes. Maybe I will be lucky to find a decent keyboard at 5th or 6th replacement. :)

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Vendor credits vary, you need to ask Asus how it works for them, that was the focus of my last post, to suggest which things to ask Asus to get an idea of how you can spend your credits, and what you can get for the credits you are getting, and if there is anything you actually want for those credits available at the HQ near you.

It's rare to get cash back from a vendor, only from a seller can you get cash or store credit that spends more like cash - the price of the thing you bought gets traded into a cash value you can spend at the seller, and if they have a wide inventory you will likely find something you want.

Vendor credits are usually much more limited, only spendable on vendor hardware for one, and only spendable on items on the shelf - refurb inventory varies greatly.

Find out how much you are getting in credit and how you can spend it and what you can spend it on. In my long experience, I haven't had that turn out well, usually it's crap noone else wants that is sitting on the shelf ready to go, otherwise you have to call every day to find out what's come in today, and you will be competing against who knows how many other people in the same position as you.

So I would strongly suggest reconsidering your current laptop, or try RMA one more time before entering into a credit swap.

For cosmetic or display backlight defect RMA"s, usually I hear from people their original first laptop was the best, sometimes it takes 2, 3, 4 turn arounds - I'm thinking here of mostly Dell / Alienware, not Asus. The problem that usually increases the number of turnarounds are shipping damage and laptop swaps that come with functional problems in addition to cosmetic imperfections.
    Every model run is a new world, so you can't necessarily bring forward the experience and apply it, especially with different CPU, GPU, supporting parts and form factor.

Every device made has plus's and minus's, even the G750 which was great had better or worse models in the lineup, but none of them I had - 5 - had problems that would cause me to return / RMA them for, so I agree with you on that model run, it was excellent.

It sounds like this model has some imperfections across all the units - like every laptop model I've ever had, so if you can't live with those specific issues - all of which I've had in laptops to some extent and lived with ok - but everyone has different tolerance levels - and it can vary depending on the functionality you need or want from the laptop.

If it's a work device generating end product all that matters is that it produces, if it's not a work device and the focus of attention spent on the laptop ends up being the laptop itself - that can lead to idle annoyances focusing on the laptop as a work of art vs a tool - kinda like the difference between a work truck and a work of art. :)

I've found price has little relation to satisfaction, you are leveling up in cost for individual components that put together comprise a $3500 unit that presents itself the same as the $500 device, if it works it should be good, unless it's a piece of art, then any little imperfection will annoy.

I don't buy art, I buy tools, so my perspective might not be applicable to those that buy art.

The best example of that was / is Apple Computers. I bought them as functional tools for years, for their software and ability to program - generate work product mostly - and as long as the hardware functionality was pushing the performance edge - enough to be functional, I was happy with them.

When Apple Computers gradually became "art", tools for posing instead of producing; the functionality slowly drained out of them as their performance dropped off the edge of a cliff. Starting with thermal throttling in the beginning - then as older and older parts weren't upgraded to keep pace with current performance technology, the sales continued to those that bought them as "art", they looked the role but didn't perform it any longer.

Once Apple did this they could charge anything they wanted, irrespective of functionality, so they could continue reducing the cost of all the components while keeping the image of functionality and charge the same or more and more.

This has trained people to be too critical of looks, instead of being critical of function. It's a real loss to critical thinking and may be behind the complaints over what I consider innocuous cosmetic flaws vs actual performance of function flaws.

Asus is usually focused on performance and core functionality, and if the keyboard light doesn't make it to the Function keys evenly, it's not even on their radar.

IPS Screens have bleed, the fasteners are fiddly and shift in shipping, and it seems to be a problem that Asus fixes at the design level and not at the build or QA level, I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me, but it can bother others that focus on the object instead of it's functionality.

For me I solve the IPS bleed problem rationally, I tune the display - change the screen profile, reduce brightness to functional settings - same for contrast, tune what I present through the laptop - don't use predominantly dark backgrounds on the screen and instead change to colorful images, and I find a video player that does a good job of balancing the brightness in dark bars when viewing video that doesn't fit edge to edge - corner to corner.

I find a way to make it work, rather than buy another screen.

Kinda like those golfers that are constantly complaining about their equipment instead of playing enough and experimenting with their technique to fit the equipment - the only way to improve and be satisified with your performance through the equipment. You can't solve the problem by changing the equipment, you have to adapt yourself to the environment.

I've spent a lot time over the years trying to help people that can't seem to become happy with any display, none are perfect so they rarely are happy and are constantly swapping laptops or worse swapping screens, incessantly for some.

I don't have the time or interest to dedicate my life to find the perfect display, it's not worth my time - not the focus of my existence, I have too much work to do, I am not viewing the display as an object, I am viewing through the screen at the object of my focus.

I've found that those that focus on the laptop as the focus of purpose are judging it all as art, vs looking through the laptop to the objects - of work / purpose focus that I assume they bought the laptop to perform.

This may be the problem. People that buy a laptop without purpose end up without purpose or focus after getting the laptop, so the focus comes back to the laptop imperfections.

For me things like thermal throttling - solved with undervolting and fan curves for the most part - are my main focus to get the tool functional so I can get back to work or fun, why I bought the laptop. That is a quick thing to do, and if it fails to be tuneable without pulling apart the laptop, I send it back for one that will work out of the box. I don't have time to rebuild a laptop that I can't tune with software.

For me a functionality failure is pretty much the only thing I will return a laptop for, every other imperfection is the character of the laptop, that makes it unique in the long expanse of laptops I've owned.

But, if you aren't happy, find out why, maybe it's not the laptop that is the thing that needs focus and attention? :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    PredatoR_TR likes this.
  8. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:

I couldn't find the Asus Nordic HQ phone number so I called Asus Service EMEA. Anyway, their knowledge is also limited in regards to credit swap but what they told me that, they give me credits (if accepted) which can be spent at the reseller where I bought the computer from. Like you said, store credit. If they provide me 3.5K which is the price of the new G703VI unit, then I can replace my unit with that one. However, I just checked that the reseller doesn't have G703VI in their stock. They have never sold that model which is a problem. It would be nice if I could solve this with Asus only without a reseller.

I love my laptop G701VIK, but I am an end user, using it for my own satisfaction and I started not to care about backlight bleeding, but I will not accept a screen which is replaced where there are dead pixel and way worse backlight bleeding.

I can survive with the new speakers, they are slightly better but keyboard. Really such simple part of the computer and all of them have the same error. I can't find anywhere G701VI or G701VIK users so that I can compare the keyboards if there is any decent one so I can keep my hopes high if I send my unit for the 3rd RMA.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's interesting, I don't think I've heard of vendor credit's spendable at a reseller, if so I would imagine it's limited to Asus hardware, and if you are able to order through that reseller - not just limited to what is in stock - then you can get any Asus product you like, maybe even add funds to reach for the next level up product.

Please let us know how it works out :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    PredatoR_TR likes this.
  10. SMOKE_SKULL

SMOKE_SKULL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would agree Dell is leaps and bounds better company than Asus. My S key started flopping around when my g752vs was a couple weeks old and asus customer service completely turned me off ever buying another. I should have learned when i rma a asus premium motherbosrd and they sent me a simular but downgraded model as replacement. Also it was not new. Never again Asus.