Asus RMA experience and my rights

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by PredatoR_TR, Apr 3, 2018.

1. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello,

I sent my laptop to RMA so that they fixed irritating problems I have had for a year.

I am G701vik user and located in EU.

So the problems were the followings

1- extreme backlight bleeding on the screen
    2- keyboard F1 to F5 buttons backlight arent visible during the evening
    3- distorted noise from the speaker

See the keyboard and speaker problem at youtube:

Anyway, they changed my screen and the keyboard, they didnt touch the speakers although I mentioned that this is the most irritating problem for me.

The product has arrived and what I see? The new screen has backlight bleeding even at the colorful screen so it is worst.

The new keyboard is worst than the old one now nothing is visible from f1 to f5.

In addition to that speaker problem has moved from right to left speaker. Have a look at the video for the speaker problem and the new keyboard:
    Maybe the speaker problem is only because of the vibration, cables inside or something else?

Anyway, absolutely the quality check has been failed.
    I sent it back today to RMA and they promised to solve the problems this time. However, I have doubts.

If again I receive a problematic product, what is next? Is there a limit that I can send it to RMA? Is Asus entitled to give me a new product if service attemption fails?

I appreciate if you enlighten about my rights.

Thanks

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Asus is known for being rather complitcated when it comes to actually servicing people. I'm also amazed that they somehow managed to make it worse. The speakers could be damaged, I don't think it's because they're loose.

@Phoenix

PredatoR_TR likes this.
  3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @PredatoR_TR

Never buy an ASUS laptop if you want a computer that actually works.

Here is an old post I made a few years back after giving up on that POS company and their horrid lack of quality control:

after owning 4 ASUS laptops...I would never buy an ASUS laptop again.

Never had an Alienware before because of its high price. I had 3 ASUS Gaming laptops, G73Sw, G75VW, and G750JX

After being frustrated with ASUS's bad driver support, and lack of official drivers for Windows 7, I sold my G750JX and got this Alienware.

Now I know why they cost an arm and a leg

1) much better build quality, it's like you bought a Mercedes as opposed to a honda civic

2) Warranty is much better, if the laptop spoils, they will come to your house and fix it at your home the next business day. When my G750JX stopped booting within 6 months of owning it, I had to drive to the service center which is very far, and it took them 7 days to replace the motherboard

3) I wanted a bigger screen and ASUS only have 17.3' screens. This 18.4' screen is a dream to play and surf on

4) I didn't ask for it, but I got a freebie dual GeForce GTX 770M so my performance has never been better

5) I love the lighting effects of Alienware

6) Their audio and KLIPSCH speakers blow the ASUS G750JX out of the water in terms of loudness and quality although both use a Realtek Chipset, but the speakers are better and the Alienware comes with the Dolby Home Theater which improves the audio quality by a great mile

7) All ASUS laptops has a problem with the left USB 3.0 Ports. You plug in a USB 3.0 HDD to the left top or left bottom ports and it will randomly keep disconnecting. That is for all G750 series, JX,JW,JH,JZ,JavaScript, you name it. don't believe me, just hang around on the ROG forums and see the jokes of problems they have. pathetic for the amount of money you pay. problems with screens,m auto dimming problem, contrast problem.

I wouldn't use an ASUS laptop anymore even if they gave it to me for free! cheap Taiwanese crap!

Did I forget to mention...

their implementation of Optimus is messed up...it is very tricky to force games to use your nVIDIA GPU unless you do a lot of settings and even then users on their forums complain that the freakin' games are using the Intel HD Graphics! LOL! horrible!

with Alienware, there are no such mishaps...you press FN + F5 and the laptop reboots activating the nVIDIA GPUs and it's stuck like that until you press FN + F5. no room for error of a gaming even seeing your Intel HD Graphics!

you want Testimony ? Please take the time to read this:

why ASUS? because people who buy ASUS cannot afford Alienware, no other reason on earth...that's a fact...I am one of them...

First laptop, 2 years ago..

G73Sw:

bought it and ran home like a little child wanting to see my lights in the chiclet keyboards....ooops...no lights...tried all driver updates..BIOS update...nope..

Called ASUS, they told me to bring it to the service center it's an easy fix!! whaaaat?? I buy a 2000 USD laptop and go to the service center next day? oh well..I did and they activated it with their BIOS tweak utility that they don't give to customers! great quality control Taiwanese Engineers! send out laptops for sale that don't work properly as advertised...

after 1 week...the screen started giving me fuzzy images...closing/opening the screen lid fixed the problem....wow!! what did I buy? a 1990 Toyotal Corolla or a brand new gaming laptop??

They said they need to replace my screen! wow!! the laptop can't last a week without being repaired! i fought for a refund and got it after a long hassle...

next laptop...

ASUS G75VW,

ASUS decided to remove their awesome creative sound blaster audio chipset and put some cheap VIA audio chipset which made the subwoofer act like a center speaker rather than a subwoofer..

also..I only had the option to get the matte screen...oh well...people say matte is good...right? NOPE! not on ASUS! the ASUS matte screens look as if someone spilled grease all over them. very grainy image especially if you look at a white screen such as these forums or Google..if you look close..you can see the pixels of colorful rainbows! again shocked in awe for this cheap crap!

So I called ASUS complaining about the quality of the screen, they offered to change it to the 3D screen not coz I want 3D, but only because that is the only screen they have that is Glossy..

took the laptop...2 days..I get a call...sorry sir, we changed your screen, but fried your motherboard....we have no spare motherboards...so if you pay $500 USD we can give you a G750JX instead or you can wait till god knows when till we get a motherboard from Taiwan...

so I got the G750JX...

very bad driver support....ASUS released the win 8.1 drivers after 6 months of win 8.1 was released...anyone who upgraded while having the old drivers either got a non booting laptop after the upgrade due to outdated bluetooth/wifi drivers or had horrible problems....

next comes the 2D performance of their GTX770M....there is something not right about it! 3D was fine and performed as it should...but 2D was glitchy and choppy...imagine even a simple game of solitaire..the motion of the cards wasn't fluid...I used to get jealouse when I see my friends' Intel HD Graphics perform so smoothly in the Windows environment while my brand new gaming laptop cries in 2D...opening tabs in firefox...wow..another plethora of jerkiness / slow motion

next...they put cheap Atheros WLAN chipsets which cannot connect above 72 MBPS!! wow! had to pay 50 USD and get a Bigfoot Wireless N-Killer from the US and pay customs just to have a laptop perform like a normal computer

next.... USB 3.0 problems..

basically, I had to connect my USB drives to the right ports and the left ones were kept for my mouse and printer? why? because ASUS cannot produce a piece of hardware that functions right! they claim all ports are USB 3.0 and they are all in blue color...BIG LIE! it wasn't only me, I posted this on the ROG forums and every single one of the members verified the same!

I can't find my thread that I started, but here are 2 examples I quickly grabbed:

Asus G750 USB 3.0 Ports not working with some things

and

Is it normal that the top left USB port is very slow?

ASUS? HELLL NO!!

Worst case scenario, save some money and wait, then get a real gaming laptop from Alienware and be happy for life! rather than bite your fingers after you buy your ASUS

A quick Google search on the G750JX presents exactly what I experienced! I've probably formatted that laptop over 200 times twice daily just trying to make it work but every time some quirk happens...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1783800/usb-sooooo-slow-asus-g750.html

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38918-USB-problems-G750-JX

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-G750JX-and-with-it-a-whole-suite-of-problems.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35565-Asus-ROG-G750JX-RB71-Screen-Ghosting.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/727019-big-green-float-g750jx-screen.html

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/a...x-cheap-display-horizontal-lines-4331824.html

http://www.eightforums.com/general-...g750jx-rb71-has-been-crashing-repeatedly.html

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34676-G750JX-1day-old-Black-Screen-and-not-Booting
    =========================================================
    Update:

I would never buy a laptop from a company that has these kinds of issues in these new thread I've found.... I know every laptop might have a problem, but these are way too serious and general (as in, not pertaining to just one bad lemon):

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54313-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-OFFICIAL-SUPPORT-THREAD

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55207-Gt751-JT-not-booting-up-after-windows-update

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54444-g751jt-backlight-bleed

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ports-(left-side)-and-external-HD-anyone-else (This USB 3.0 Problem has been there since the G75VW, G750JX, and now on to the new model! insane!)

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55158-G751-AC-WLAN-only-at-7-MB-per-sec! (This is due to the crappy WLAN cards they use even though it's a premium gaming laptop)

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...3-weeks-frequent-display-not-responding-error

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54360-G751-JY-keyboard-slugghish!-(and-other-issues)

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54982-ASUS-G751-one-of-the-worst-purchases-I-ever-made

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54990-G751JT-bricked-my-Corsair-GS-240GB-SSD

PredatoR_TR likes this.
  4. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    @Danishblunt

I believe that Asus Nordic service is not as poor as others. I trusted them but this was the result. Let's see how the second attempt will be. If you think that speakers can be damaged, I demand a change.

@Phoenix

Waow, I am surprised that you have had so many problems. I have used Asus G750JZ for 3 years and it was simply perfect. For this reason, I chose Asus again instead of MSI. We don't have Alienware option here I need to choose either Asus or MSI.

If 2nd attempt fails at the service, do I have chance to demand a new product? A newer version maybe? What is the limit to send the product to the service with the same problem?

hmscott likes this.
  5. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had a $700 Asus X550 LNV with a Gf 840M it arrived with a bulging keyboard deck and keys that would get stuck (now after a year no longer works on battery even after changing that twice). I left a negative review on Newegg after Asus pretended nothing was wrong. Also it had an issue where boost clocks caused the GPU to reach wattage limit and it would drop GPU clocks like a rock intermittently. I had to self mod the vbios to disable boost clocks and Asus could have used a similar fix to save many others with similar issues on 8 series GPUs in their laptops but they never did.

Now coming to my recent refurb Dell 7567 I bought it for ~$700 including taxes it came with a 1080P IPS, I7700HQ, 8 GB RAM, GTX1050 Ti and a 1TB HDD. It had uneven core temps so I sent it in twice (FedEx will pick it up from your home) for same issue assuming improper heatsink contact and second time I asked for a 7577. Within a day they give me specs for confirmation of a fully loaded 4K IPS 7577 with a GTX1060, 16GB RAM, 512 GB nVME, 1TB HDD and even mailed my old 1TB BHDD back (gave me an extra first time as well lol). They basically gave me at the time a $1,300-1,400 unit for the price of a $700 unit within 3 days of asking it was at home. First issue with a Dell and they took care of me unlike Asus that just pretended nothing was wrong. Dell would even call upon completion of each step of their repair process to keep me updated when I sent in the 7567 originally. I mean Asus does make some great units like the UX series but support seems almost non existent should something go wrong. Also at least comparing high end Inspirons (not the crappy low ends)/Latitudes/Precisions with Asus high end equivalents units the Dell ones have always seemed more robust and well built.

Dell even let me have warranty after replacing my WiFi card and SSD while Asus told me that would void their warranty. The first time I sent in my Dell with my SSD they put the SSD in a anti static bag and returned it with a new 1TB HDD in the laptop because that was the “default config” though they didn’t touch my WiFi card.

I mean I may still buy an Asus in the future but they seriously need to improve customer support granted there also some people who had issues with Dell but still said to be far more responsive, so this is just my personal experience.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Ultra Male likes this.
  6. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    Hi,

I would like to ask what is the maximum day that my unit can stay at service to be repaired?

Where I came from after 30 business day, you can demand a brand new unit and even a never model. Is it more or less same everywhere?

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    IPS screens have backlight bleed, I haven't had one that doesn't, and that has been Dell, Asus, HP, MSI, both laptops and external monitors.

It's often a matter of the clips holding the display in the bezel, but those can slip during shipping due to rough treatment, and what looks good before shipping can be unacceptable after. I've shipped items that had that happen myself.

Your mileage may vary, if you get a better or same backlight bleed the 2nd time, I'd investigate (google/youtube) how to adjust the clips yourself.

To reduce the visual impact of the bleeding, I use non-dark backgrounds and to reduce the grey in black bars in movie playback I turn down the brightness (usually way too high for indoor use anyway) and via the Nvidia Control panel adjust the contrast as well as tune the gamma, check saturation too - increasing can help - I think Nvidia has boost for that as well as adjustment.

The keyboard should be easily replaceable, but it might be a design problem - no good lighting path to those keys. That might not be fixable...

There have been a couple of subwoofer rattle fixes in software over time that I have used, that amount to not overdriving the sub. Look at audio settings to reduce drive to the sub, don't have a screen clip handy right now but I used to for the G750, and when reducing drive from 100% to like 80% the rumble / rattle goes away, and there is still plenty of bass presence.

The same goes for treble, stop overdriving the speaker, cut off high frequencies to help debug the source. It might be audio processing software overdriving too. Check your balance to make sure it's centered.

If the speaker problem moved, it might be loose in the mountings, as shipping shifts things around when getting jostled, so the one speaker could be seated now and the other one is loose, so another mitigation that works for some is to get some audio bunting (used as damping in full sized speakers with cabinets) and pack it around between the speaker and the plastic retaining structure - so it vibrates against the bunting instead of the buzzy plastic.

As far as RMA turnaround's before a replacement, I think you'd end up with the same issues, so look to my comments above first. Usually it's after the 3rd RMA that Asus will entertain swapping you a refurb unit - also not recommended, as they may have other issues.

It's one of those laws of diminishing returns, your laptop isn't overheating, isn't flaky (crashing), has good performance from what you say, and the problems are "minor" or "cosmetic", so better to mitigtate those issues rather than throw money and stress onto a pile dealing with them.

There's an old saying, "Three moves are as good as a fire", referring to the losses being equal, the same goes for shipping 3x. :)

Every time you ship your laptop something else might break loose, or it might sustain real damage.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    PredatoR_TR likes this.
  8. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    Well, basically yes. My problems are more cosmetic and minor stuff if we compare with some big problems. The thing I can't accept here is that a laptop which had a price tag of 3500€ shouldn't have these kind of problems.

Backlight bleeding of my screen was the less important problem for me. I asked from service that if it won't be any better, keep it as it is. They changed and now it is worst. That creates an issue.

The most irritating problem was the speakers because this computer has weak speakers so generally an end user should use speaker a 100% on. However, my speakers gave distorted sound after 50%. The service didn't accept that first but now at my second RMA, they diagnosed that my speakers are broken so they order new ones, for this reason I am still waiting my computer. It is already 10 days. I hope the new speakers are good and I will hear a solid sound (with equalizer on as well).

I think the keyboard is an issue for almost all G752 and G701 series around 6-7 out of 10 has the same problem. I found many videos and some topics on the forums. The replacement was also worst than original and I hope this time they will make a good quality check and it will be a normal one. It is the easiest one to fix as long as quality check is good.

I will let you know with the outcome. I really wouldn't want to send my laptop for the 3rd time to RMA. I wouldn't say no if they would offer me refurbished G703VI tho. :) My minor problems with speakers and keyboard and partly screen definitely does not exist at the newer model.

Aivxtla and hmscott like this.
  9. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    Hi,

My laptop has arrived. They changed the case and the lcd bezel completely.

Guess what? NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

New keyboard: same awful condition. It is the 3rd keyboard they replaced. Is there anyone with G752 or G701 with a decent keyboard backlight between F1 and F5 buttons and shortcuts?

New speakers with the case. Now right speaker is giving that awful vibration noise. I can't stand it.

New LCD bezel. Same bleeding exactly from same spots exists...

I will send demand a 3rd time RMA. Can I demand a refurbished G703 maybe? Any comments?

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's what I thought would happen, all of those things are as good as they are going to get.

The keyboard is likely the same for everyone, it's in the design.

The LCD bezel doesn't make much of a difference - it's the fastening clips under the bezel that impinge on the display and cause the spray of light - try lightly pinching the bezel at the corners and in the middle of an edge to see what I mean.

The only time I've seen a different model offered is when your model is no longer made and they have no refurb's in stock, otherwise you'll be offered a refurb of the same model.

But, again, often there is no fix for certain "annoyance's" - they are in every unit +- some variation, and if you get a refurb you'll end up with a real problem along with the other issues still there.

It's unlikely you'll get a better screen with less backlight bleed, that's just the way IPS screens are for the most part. I think I have received one "Golden" screen over the years, but if you got the room dark it still had the bleed, it was just down low enough that under normal office lighting you won't notice it, unless watching a movie.

IDK what to say, but see if reducing the brightness and contrast help enough to make it livable. I know the first time I had one I eventually stopped noticing the backlight bleed - changing desktops from dark to colorful and variable in texture helped a lot - and since then I know what to expect from IPS screens.

Sorry you are unhappy with it all, and if you can try to work out keeping what you have, if you roll the dice on a refurb it's just as likely it'll be worse as it will be better. :(

KY_BULLET, PredatoR_TR and Aivxtla like this.