1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus N73JQ Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Cary Ader, Oct 12, 2010.

1. BrodyBoy

BrodyBoy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Costco CSR was just wrong. It has three memory slots that can each take modules up to 4Gb.

2. outhier

outhier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, deekaysk and BrodyBoy :)

I just received the machine a moment ago and fired it up for the first time. WOW! Praying it works as well as you all have said. While I can feel the keyboard issue and do think it's a bit odd, it surely isn't a deal breaker.

WOW! I can't wait to get in there and give it a test drive!

3. deekaysk

deekaysk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Bellzemos

Bellzemos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, deekaysk!

Well, you wrote quite nice things about the N73 and latency two pages ago, except that in the recent post you wrote "lot of dropouts". So, are there many dropouts or not? Please tell me more about USB audio on N73 if you will test it more.

Where is it written about the SandyBridge problems? What kind of problems?

I first wanted to buy a F13 series VAIO but read about it's loudness so now I'm thinking of getting ASUS N73SV, it has great speacs for the price.

Thank you for helping me! :)

5. deekaysk

Reputations:
    The noise issues is what made me buy Asus instead of the Vaio ;) Except the keyboard, I´m very satisfied, and when the backlit keyboard arrives, ou jeah :cool:

By dropouts I mean dropouts in the DPC latency chcecker (red bars). There were a lot of them, yet they were ocassional. But when I disabled the wifi and tuner, they´ve dissapeared. And even with them on, at 5,7ms latency, it didn´t affect the audio software I´m using at all (no audible dropouts).

So DPC latency checker dropouts - yes
    Audible dropouts in the sound - no

I´m just building my new sample/loop/music base in this PC so until a commercial project comes, I´m not going to test it in "real action". I will post info in here for sure ;)

About the Sandy bridge - I have no idea about that, but someone mentioned some problems here in this thread, you have to search for it.

Glad I could be helpful ;)
    Cheers

6. RoadCrasher

RoadCrasher Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    was thinking of buying the same one, googled it and found out that every 5 out of 6 have some kind of problem!!!! is there any coolpad that has adapter included that is good

7. deekaysk

Reputations:
    That is strange. Zalman is a premium brand, or at least I thougth so. Well established in silent PC world, along with Scythe.
    On the other end of scale, a nice example of how it should not look like is Thermaltake from who I never had anything that didn´t brake down. I wouldn´t trust them even if the product had no moving parts :D

What kind of problem was it with the zalman? I din´t find any negative resposes on the web.

8. deekaysk

Reputations:
    Oh and I forgot:
    MY bluetooth is just crazy! It appears and dissapers randomly (the icon, and the device itself). Mostly when I start the PC, it´s there, but after some time, it just dissapears and doesn´t appear again until next boot up, and sometimes even that doesn´t help. I´ve tried the newest drivers, no change.
    My OS is Win 7 home premium 64 bit.
    Anyone expirienced the same thing?

And the USB mouse still gets installed every friggin time I connect it! There are about 15 mice in the Devices and printers - but that´s just the one mouse. Somehow the USB doesn´t recognize it.

9. AbraxasCat

AbraxasCat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That looks like a nice cooling pad except I'm not crazy about that BIG fan! Looks like there's a LOT of wasted energy. That one fan looks to be cooling the bottom of a laptop instead of putting air at specific vents. IMO!!

To me, this is the one I'll be buying http://www.pro-clockers.com/cooling/1602--coolermaster-notepal-u3-laptop-cooler.html because I can put it's 3 fans right where I want them to cool my N73JQ.

And it's also less expensive than the Zalman!!!

10. deekaysk

Reputations:
    I´m the opposite - the bigger the fan, the better. Not wasted energy at all. It gets the same CFM as, say, 3x 80mm fans, only at lower RPM, which means lower noise.
    The smaller the fan, the higher the RPM and higher the noise.
    80mm fans are quite noisy. 120mm and bigger are nearly inaudible (you only hear the airflow). Ofcourse, it depends on the bearing, motor etc.

I was considering the U3 when you first posted it here, but most of the reviews say the same - it´s noisy, which for audio editing is a GIGANTIC no-no. If I could get 120mm fans that run on 5 volts, then two 120mm fans (Scythe S-flex with 9dB for example) and a U2 would be the way to go.

11. AbraxasCat

Reputations:
  12. BrodyBoy

Reputations:
    Very true. Whenever I put together desktop systems now, I don't bother with 80mm fans....they always sound like "the little fan that couldn't." I've never found one sufficiently quiet for my tastes, and the cheap stock ones supplied with many computer cases sound like little jet engines! Ridiculous. Two good 120mm fans run slower, quieter, and can move much more air than that one 80mm fan working its butt off on the back of the case. :rolleyes:

Of course, computer cases are a different situation than laptop coolers, which I never use. I would think the same principle applies, though: slower and quieter, but moving more air.

13. AbraxasCat

Reputations:
    If the fan move the air to the vents then all is well with the world.

I'll have to reread the reviews on the Zalman. Thanks deekaysk!

14. deekaysk

Reputations:
    My pleasure ;)

15. bomfiara

bomfiara Newbie

Reputations:
    I am a bit confused about this notice. I gave my ASUS N73JQ-A2 to ASUS technical service a week ago concerning a hard disk problem, which they sorted out by replacing it with a new one. The thing is they called me today and told that its ready and i can pick it up anytime i want , but ! they also added ASUS has a design error on motherboards of this series which is causing a performance loss. The list of notebook models on the link are : G73SW, N43SL, N43SN, N53SN, N53SV, N73SV
    now does N73JQ fall into this category with faulty chipsets ? any help about the subject will be much appreciated.

16. BrodyBoy

Reputations:
    The problem relates to the Intel chipset used in those models, and doesn't apply to our N73JQs. (Note that it's not in the list....;)) There's nothing to worry about. :)

17. deekaysk

Reputations:
    "Good news everyone", I´ve tried the built in realtek soundcard for Guitar rig (via the ASIO4ALL)

Just made a 6,3mm mono jack to 3,5mm stereo jack conversion, plugged the guitar into the computers mic in, set the routes, latency to 88 samples (that´s veeeery low, but when a card has no native asio drivers it ads up, so overall it´s about 10ms, which is usable for many people, and a great latency for an onboard card)
    and it workes great, it makes a crack once in a while, maybe once in 15 minutes so not bad.

Update: recording in FL studio 9 also works without problems, thus I´m assuming it should work in Cubase, Sonar...

I´m pleasantly surprised, something that doesn´t happen very often :D

18. AbraxasCat

Reputations:
    My bad about stating that this does not apply to our N73JQ.

I was hoping to make clear ASUS' policy on the chipset for anyone reading our forum for info on what our machines can do.

19. hatcher

hatcher Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I realize our specific model is not listed in the link below but does that hard drive caddy resemble ours? it's been awhile since i've had my notebook "disassembled" and don't recall exactly what it looked like....

Hard Drive Caddy

20. BrodyBoy

Reputations:
    Yeah, that looks like it.