ASUS N71JQ Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by tarlyn, Feb 5, 2010.

1. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glad you like your new computer, Pin. I hope you have one of the good ones. I looked it up on Amazon and see it has a rather distressing 25% 1-star reviews. But I had a lot of trouble with this N71 at the beginning and then with Asus' infuriating repair service, but then they finally replaced my original with this one and I never thought it would be still going after almost eight years!

2. werewolf

Reputations:
    Eight years since this thread started and still - knock on wood head - still chugging along!

3. werewolf

Reputations:
    Kaput. About two months ago. Are there any left now?

4. rbmtpt

rbmtpt Newbie

Reputations:
    Nope. Mine started artefacting in October 2017, I gather the graphics chip finally gave up. Always did run super hot. Didn't bother with short term DIY oven or heatgun fixes. Did well to get 7.5 years on mine, and 8 years on yours! :) End of an era!

5. Adrian C

Adrian C Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys. My N71JQ is still going since july 2010. I clean it once a month with canned compressed air through the vents. Never took it apart. I've opened it some years ago to take out and put back in one of the hdds because sometimes it would not be picked up by the bios. Never had that problem for a long time now. Actually I think I never had any problems with it. I am running a Windows 7 reinstalled by me when I got it and along side it, Fedora 27. I hope that by posting here will not break my machine :)). Joking.

6. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you NEVER repasted, you should do it, even 1 year old stock paste was bad, cant imagine the performance(or lack of) from such an old paste, on my N53SM I saw near 10ºC repasting after 1 year.

7. Adrian C

Adrian C Newbie

Reputations:
    I never reach 100 degrees, not even in gaming. The temperatures are ok. The performance is exactly the same as in 2010. Everything works as intended. The thing is that I took care of it, I did not move it around a lot, basically it ran only in one or two controlled environments, never overclocked it, etc. The only problem is that it is outdated and new games are way out of reach :) and the fact that 4 GB of ram sometimes is not enough, although, newer operating systems like fedora work better than windows 7.