ASUS N71JQ Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by tarlyn, Feb 5, 2010.

1. rbmtpt

rbmtpt Newbie

Reputations:
    CPU-Z has it reporting 1.35V. I don't think the voltage can be altered in BIOS. Still running very nicely. Also added a a second hard drive board at the beginning of the year (lucky to find a person selling the whole motherboard on ebay, and was willing to sell me just the hdd chip - not originally included on my JQ, as many other people despair!). Solid state drive has given it a new lease of life. I see the laptop going for another several years (until the power connector breaks!)

pin likes this.
  2. pin

pin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1.35v version it is then! Basically when I went to buy the ram, I was asked whether I wanted the 1.35v or the 15v version.

Yeah, I'm hoping my unit will last several more years still, especially after fixing the screen problems.

3. Az Wx Guy

Az Wx Guy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you want to avoid power connector troubles and extend the life of your laptop even further, I would suggest the following. Get yourself some dielectric grease. The easiest way to do this is visit an auto parts store and they will usually have some of those small quantity squeeze packages of stuff up near the checkout counter. Non-seize compound and brake anti-squeal, etc. Look for the spark plug boot lubricant. That is dielectric grease. Then with your laptop turned off take a toothpick and work a small quantity of the grease in and around the connector socket. Do the same to the adapter plug. Then plug and un-plug the connector several times, turning it around through its range of motion. Unplug and carefully wipe with a clean rag and check for any contaminants or evidence of corrosion that may have worked loose. If you see any, repeat the process until things come out clean. A final wipe-down to eliminate attracting dust and you should be good to go.

4. sebst

sebst Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's been 6.5 years now with this laptop and still working pretty much like new and I'm happy about that :) I haven't replaced or upgraded any of the hardware. Still on Windows 7. Had a few crashes, there's whining noise, but nothing mayor. Only a few days ago something scared me.

I installed Unity3D, a pretty big program and it took a long time to install. A reboot was required to finish the installation. After it restarted, and before I did anything, there was a beep and then some kind of grinding noise. The noise wasn't stopping so I turned of the computer. I turned the computer back on and no more noise since then.

I'm thinking maybe it was the hard drive. Or maybe it was the fan (or something else?), but for some reason I felt like the sound was more like something that the hard drive could make. Anyone experienced something like this before?

Another reason I thought about the hard drive is because after the install my C drive got the fullest it's ever been. I mostly only have the OS there and the programs (including Unity3D) I installed on another partition but which is on the same disk. The C partition is 74.5GB and varies from 6 to 10 GB of free space. After installing Unity3D, even though it was installed on the other partition, the C drive was left with less than 5GB of free space. I have since cleaned up and recovered more space.

Could this have been a sign that the hard drive is dying? Or what else could have caused such a noise?

5. Az Wx Guy

Reputations:
    Hmm, might have been the hard drive. The BD/DVD optical drive makes noises sometimes too. When you bring up the drives in Windows Explorer is the used space on C: still colored blue? It turns red when free space is critical. Also might be drive issues. Get yourself SeaTools for Windows and run some utilities. This is assuming you still have the Seagate hard drives installed.

6. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Knock on wood (head) still going strong!

7. sebst

sebst Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One-month-later-update:

It has since made the noise two more times.

The C drive in Windows Explorer has been getting red for a while now. Sometimes it went back to blue for some time and then back to red. I just deleted something very big the other day, so I think it will never get red again for the life of the computer.

I did SeaTools and DiskCheck and both came out ok.

Just in case, I wanted to prepare for the worst and decided to create a bootable Ubuntu disk and usb. At least I could have internet and do some basic things while getting a new hard drive. I discovered two problems in the process of preparing Ubuntu.

First the br/dvd/cd drive wouldn't read the discs. Luckily turned out that the lens had just collected some dust, and some air blowing fixed that. Hadn't use it for I don't even know how long :p

Second thing, I found out that it's not possible to boot from the USB3 drive. That's a shame since I bought a USB3 thumb drive specifically to be able to run a persistent ubuntu usb at a faster speed. The other USB ports can be booted from. And the USB3 port does work once in Windows. Apparently its drivers are only loaded once in Windows.

8. Az Wx Guy

Reputations:
    My cooling fan was making a whining noise when I first turned on the computer. It would stop after it warmed up a bit. This was after I had taken the case apart to replace the thermal compound on both the CPU and GPU. I did a really good cleaning of dust and fuzz that was lodged downstream of the fan at the front of the heat exchanger. If use canned air to blow into the heat exchanger (on the left side of the computer) it just moves the dust back and forth. I had to get in there carefully with a forceps and tweezer to pull the filth out. I don't know why the fan started making noises after that. Maybe the increased airflow allowed the motor to spin a little faster, just fast enough for the bearing wear to oscillate. It stopped altogether a couple months later. If it was hard drive noise, and it was making it when the disk was nearly full, then it was probably the system attempting to page file or use hard disk space as temporary memory. That USB 3.0 socket was a first release add-on to this laptop, along with several other sockets that I rarely or never use. eSATA? The heck. Oh, maybe if you got an eSATA SSD you could boot from that?

9. Az Wx Guy

Reputations:
    It is a new year and I find myself in possession of a new laptop, an Asus of course. My N71 has ceased to function, partly my fault. It was a sort of suicide, or assisted suicide. Turned it on and placed it on some plastic table placemats and then left the room for a half hour or so. When it warmed up it sunk into the plastic to the point where the cooling intakes were closed off. Overheated. Not sure if the GPU or CPU were compromised, but it will not boot now. It will power on lights only. No POST. Hold power to turn off. Probably repairable, which I may consider doing myself. The new laptop is a ROG G752VM-RB71. A gaming machine. I'm not a gamer but I could become one. Very nice machine. I don't see the VM Owners Lounge yet, but there is a VS lounge and the various other G752 designations are closely related. The N71jq lounge is almost boarded up. I will still come back now and then to see what's happening.

10. max 0401

max 0401 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi there, how is this laptop doing with win 8 / win 10?

I am running win 7 now, want to upgrade, but still thinking which OS.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk