ASUS N71JQ Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by tarlyn, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Az Wx Guy

Az Wx Guy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, if ASUS says it's the LCD, then it probably is. Might be able to locate a new or used replacement on the web somewhere. How did it fail? Did you turn it on one day and it was toast?

pin likes this.
  2. pin

pin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well basically when I took it into Asus the guy opened the laptop, saw the pink screen and said it would be a HK$300 labour fee. He then took down my details then turned round and said its probably a screen issue (i.e. he didn't do a deep assessment) and that they won't have the parts if its a screen issue. He then said its probably not worth paying the HK$300 labour fee and that it is probably best to try with a third party.

Everything was fine one day, then all of a sudden my screen went pink.

upload_2016-4-27_22-31-29.png

3. pin

pin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Strange, just seen the screen dump on my mobile and no pink.

4. Az Wx Guy

Reputations:
    It's been almost a month since I reported in post #2225 that I might have found the source of my N71 problems. Corrupt RAM was most certainly the problem. System has been 100% reliable, stable, and much faster since the upgrade. Still don't know what could have trashed the original RAM, but I sure am happy I have my reliable old friend back in working order.

5. pin

pin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, just an update. Found a third party repair company. Originally they thought it was the the screen. Screen replaced, screen still pink. They then thought it was the wiring, changed that, screen still remains pink. They now think its the mainboard. grrr.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

6. senso

senso Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its the LVDS driver, he is sensible..

7. pin

pin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got my laptop back yesterday, all good, screen problem dealt with. Cost US$150 parts and labour. said the mainboard needed changing.

One thing I noticed, when I was putting my hard drives back in, seems that they have put the wrong screws in the wrong places (cause the size of the screws all varied). That's a bit annoying, but everything works, which is the main thing.

8. rbmtpt

rbmtpt Newbie

Reputations:
    Confirmed working with 16GB ram, similar to N61JQ forum. Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 SODIMM RAM - 9-9-9-24 - Vengeance Series. Can't seem to upload screenshots.

9. Az Wx Guy

Reputations:
    I was successful with an 8Gb upgrade. I think as long as the chip speed is backward compatible to the 1066 MHz specification it should work. I'm seeing some favorable movement on the SSD horizon, just have to figure out how to mirror the C: (including the hidden restore partition) to one of those. I think the results would be amazing.

Oh, and the screenshot thing is a limitation placed on new registrants. Not sure how many posts are required before you can include attachments.

rbmtpt likes this.
  10. pin

pin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's the voltage on this ram, 1.35 or 1.5?

Based on the ram I presently have (2 x 4GB), I'm presently running 1.35 volts. For 16GB, I presume I should also run at 1.35v.

Thanks in advance!