* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are two screws, one near each hinge, one on the outer left side, and one on the outer right, each under a small rectangular piece of rubber, and the bezel is usually tighter on the bottom, because it flexes less on the bottom.
    I will try to find a better video.

2. NEX_SASIN

NEX_SASIN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes i did remove the screws near both the hinges already. I also looked through google for better depths on that hinges area but there's non i found for this particular screen panel. I believe i'll have to apply excessive force to bent open, potentially risk cracking the hinge's covers if unfortunate, or leave the dusts... Oh man. I'll probably do it in a couple days, need time to think it over.

3. aka_karkas

aka_karkas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, hope you are doing good,
    I just wanted to share my experience with you guys,
    There are some issues that probably we cant fix but there are some ways to ease through,

1-Brightness on Win10 :
    No luck with these drivers:
    amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit
    non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.2.1

So basically there is no solution,If I bring the brightness lvl below 62, its all blacked out and gone.

The only way is using night light and if you want to lower brightness so badly you can lower it by going in to Catalyst -> Desktop managemnt section -> Desktop Color

2- I've been experiencing 100% disk usage from time to time and after getting many BSODs and freezes, I tried to reinstall windows and by using command in diskpart like clean or convert mbr, etc, just bring the life back to it but It couldn't boot up and cant even pass windows installation, and nothing works in this stage,

I tried to find hard drive issues with random softwares like HDD Regenrator, Easus, etc. They didn't help.
    I remembered that our hard drive is Seagate so I just give Seatools from seagate a shot! and guys it works like a miracle.

SeaTools for windows: gave me many fail errors and suggest to use SeaTools for Dos

SeaTools for Dos: Its a pain in the a** to put it in a usb stick and run it but I managed to do it and it worked better to be honest but still showing fail errors (also swtiching between AHCI and IDE didnt help)

SeaTools Bootable : it runs on a Linux core and I couldn't run it anyway, it stuck at loading extension

After several tries on installing windows, I got lucky (or maybe its the effect of seatools because it had some progress like 27% or 45% and then gave fail errors) and installed win 10 somehow and managed to runs it through safe mode
    I was desperate, I tried to give SeaTools for windows from safe mode a chance but I didn't expect it to work to be honest, against all odds it worked! pass all the test and my hard drive works great again.

I suggest to run SeaTools on your laptops for better performance. It warns you about losing data, better to have backup than sorry.

good luck guys.

Decided to explain more, may come handy to someone.

I am using win10(latest update Windows.10.Business.Multiple.Editions.2004.19041.264.MSDN.VL.x64)

Drivers :
    amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit (I like non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.2.1 better for gaming)

ATKPackage_Win10_64_VER100060( Atk package downloaded by windows wont work ideally)

everything else I just let Windows 10 download and install

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  4. frah90

frah90 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, hope someone is still alive here, I know this is a pretty old notebook ehehhe

Practically, I have a very very big problem with my N61JQ: temps are going crazy as ****.
    When in idle, doing nothing (just windows, no running software), temps reach 85°-90°, even further if I open some software.

I've done everything I could, I've done repasting of both the CPU and GPU, just today, but nothing: temps are always high, reaching even 95°.

This is a screen of Hardware Monitor:
    [​IMG]
    link:
    https://flic.kr/p/2jfT1km

As you can see, is throttled also: running at 931Mhz the most of the time.

The strange thing, is that if I let it cool down, **** down, detach the power plug, and go on battery mode, the temps are much lower now that I've done repasting, just 70-80° max, and is running at higher clock frequencies too.

Now, a "normal" person would stop using this laptop and get a new one, but I need to use it for just one more year, cause I wanna buy a decent laptop, and Intel is currently still on 14nm, skylake microarchitecture and on PCI 3.0
    I wanna wait next year, I've already waited a lot for a new laptop, what it will be a year eheheh, when Intel will go on Rocket Lake, and they'll change the microarchitecture to Sunny Cove/Willow Cove and introduce PCI 4.0 also.

What can I do for making this machine still usable for just another year? Lowering the temps, and avoiding throttling when powered by the AC? (PS I almost never used it as a laptop, I've always used plugged at the AC, even because the battery runs just for an hour and a half max, even if I've just replaced it with a compatible one)

5. Vlad_The_Unknown

Vlad_The_Unknown Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi frah90, I still have this laptop running and without issues, few years ago I've even upgraded it to its max by adding an SSD, 16 GB of RAM and replacing the CPU with the i7-940xm model. The overall perfomance gain was around 25%.
    I've checked the screen shot that you have attached and to me it seems that you have a software problem with your system because your cpu utilization is very high > 75% while doing nothing. Are you sure that this screen shot was taken when you were not running something?
    It may be that you have a program running in the background which requires a lot of resources or even you may have a virus or a troian. A hidden cryptominer could also be responsible. Try to check what is running on your system and attach the log here. A good program for that is ProcessExplorer (procexp) from the SysInternals suite.

frah90 likes this.
  6. frah90

frah90 Newbie

Reputations:
    mmh, you’re actually right. I didn’t pay attention to the cpu utilization.
    I wasn’t running anything, not on purpose at least.
    I have a lot of processes running in background, because I have a lot of software installed; I have to wipe everything and reinstall windows this days, cause it’s a lot of time that I don’t do that, but I dunno, it’s strange the fact that on power ac I have this problem, and on battery the temps are more normal (70-80 degrees max), and it won’t even throttle.
    This let me think of an ACPI driver problem, or something like that.

I’ve installed an ssd too. How fine is running your N61JQ with the i7-940xm? I was thinking to buy one and install it, I’m an electronic engineering student so it shouldn’t be a big problem...
    But I’m hesitating, cause I know i7-940xm requires a big amount of electric power, and if with the i7-720qm I’m having already those temperatures issues, I’m afraid that it will be worse with the xm.
    It’s also true that with the xm I could do overclocking, and with some undervolting I could make it run cooler.

However, after I’ll do a clean windows install I’ll retake those tests, and I’ll let you know, how it behaves my current hardware setup on a clean system. But I guess I will not see so much differences.

PS: which ram have you installed on you system? Which frequency are they working on? And how have you managed to install one ssd and the hard disk too? I mean, the SATA port is only one (or have you used also the eSATA for connecting one of the disk?).

PPS: I see from your profile that you’re running windows 7 on the N61JQ. Can it be that I’m having these temperatures problems because of windows 10, and the fact that the drivers that I’ve installed are installed automatically by windows update and those maybe aren’t optimized?

Sorry for the numerous questions, but it’s difficult finding someone that still use this laptop, and even more difficult to find someone that has installed an XM on it!

7. Vlad_The_Unknown

Reputations:
    Hi!
    You are welcome!

The difference that you observe between being on AC power and on Battery may be because the software which overheats the system can detect if you are on battery & stop whatever it is doing. I believe a smart cryptominer can do that. ACPI can be another reason, but if you didn't have this problem before and a reinstall of the driver doesn't help, then it is probably something else. Reinstalling your system may also solve this issue.

I don't know if there can be any difference between Win 7 and Win 10, I've never used the latter and no one has reported this type of problem before for this laptop. I suppose that the drivers for windows 7 are better tailored, while for win 10 there may be some relatively minor issues, like with the screen backlight that other people discussed few posts ago.

Concerning your other questions:
    1) I bought a 16 GB RAM kit from Corsair (CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9), I think it runs at 1333 MHz.
    2) My HDD was having problems since quite some time, so I had to buy an SSD (Crucial MX300) which noticeably speed up my system. I've put the HDD in a caddy in the DVD slot, while I moved the DVD writer in an external USB box where it works nicely (and also without vibrations which instead it was producing when inside the notebook).
    3) I bought on ebay a Core i7-940xm when its price dropped down to the 100 EUR level. My laptop is working perfectly since then. I used Arctic Silver MX-4 thermal paste for both CPU and GPU, and I installed a heat sink on each VGA RAM module. I use a 120 W power supply and a Cooler Master U3 cooling pad. Doing these modifications is rather easy, especially if you are skilled with electronics. My benchmarks are here.
    4) I've never tried undervolting & overclocking, but someone else in this thread did. If you'll try, please, let me know how it will perform & what are the steps.

frah90 likes this.
  8. frah90

frah90 Newbie

Reputations:
    So... Very strange thing: I've just entirely formatted my N61JQ.. reinstalling windows and everything.
    So now it's clean, whatever virus/Trojan/criptominer could be there surely isn't there anymore.

But.. just after reinstalling windows 10 (the very latest version, win10 2004) the pc has shut down because of the heat: normally at this stage I would start launching windows update, to install the drivers, but I didn't had the time.
    And the more strange thing of all of this is that it's happened on battery: on the previous install, with all the drivers installed, the very high temperatures were reached only on AC power.

Now I should be trying again, after let it cool down a little, launching windows update and installing drivers, but this should suggest that the problem is driver related, because without any drivers installed with windows update the temperatures are worse.

Another idea is that I've screwd up something when I've opened the pc (I've fully opened a couple of times to repair it), but i have no idea of what could have gone wrong: cpu and gpu are both repasted and attached to the heatsink.. it's possible that there is another component (like power MOSFET or something like that) that needs dissipation?

I'm just posting this to know if anyone has other problems like that with win10 on this laptop.. and if someone knows how to fix it (but I'm loosing hope).

9. Vlad_The_Unknown

Reputations:
    Ok, this rules out that there was an issue with some specific software. You could be right that the problem is related to Windows 10. By chance, did you notice if it started after some update, like a version upgrade or patch Tuesday? I would like to suggest you to try running a Linux live CD, like ubuntu or mint, and see what happens with the temperatures.