* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. FalconFour

FalconFour Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's normal not to have anything but "balanced". Same with mine, only "balanced" is available. The slider that pops out over the battery icon in W10 takes its place, making more useful firmware-level changes that way. Power profiles have basically been deprecated in W10. High Performance was always just a placebo that prevented the CPU from idling, making it constantly consume more energy than it needs to, running hotter and wearing out sooner. I hate it when I see computers set to "high performance", honestly. ;)

Thing is, there aren't really any "power drivers" to install, be updated, or go wrong. It's all part of ACPI as far as I understand it, which Windows handles on any system roughly the same way. Below ACPI, the embedded controller in the system makes all the rest of the power decisions. This is so you can have Linux or even Mac OS running, and the system won't overheat or be slower in one OS than another.

Oh, and there's no "load limit", I phrased that poorly. What I'm referring to is how loaded the CPU is - how busy it is according to Task Manager. If nothing's going on, it won't clock higher. If it's busy on one core, it might not clock higher if Windows is set to "better battery" and it's on battery, but it will if it's set to "best performance". If it's fully busy on many cores, it'll clock higher if it can. That kinda thing.

So, you're still getting no turbo... but are you even getting normal max clocks?

2. Shpati

Shpati Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    According to task manager, I am getting 1.58 GHz on all cores when I run a stress test. I took the Intel CPU diagnostic tool and it gave me no errors. But it did say it expected a rate of 1.6 but I got the 1.58.

Is there a ACPI driver I need for Windows 10 maybe? I believe there was one for Windows 7. Is there any BIOS settings I need to change maybe? I didn't see any, but maybe I missed one.

I have seen it go slightly over 2.0 GHz in task manager. So I'm wondering if it only uses Turbo Boost on some of the cores. And I'm wondering if that's normal for this CPU.

If anyone else is still here with an ASUS N61JQ, can you run a stress test and tell me what task manager says your CPU is running at when at 100%. Mine said 1.58 GHz.

EDIT:

I went through my BIOS again and didn't see any CPU or power related settings.

I have Intel Virtualization Technology Enabled. I have VT-d enabled as well. UEFI Boot and PXE room are disabled.

I noticed I am on still on BIOS 210. BIOS 212 is the newest one that I never upgraded to since I didn't want to risk bricking. I heard it requires a RAM test, and I don't have my OEM RAM anymore. What do you guys think? You think a BIOS upgrade might TurboBoost my CPU or nah?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  3. Vlad_The_Unknown

Vlad_The_Unknown Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you don't see power profiles that you previously had, it may be that some Asus software installed some of them. I looked into the driver thread and found that maybe these could be related:
    Power4Gear Hybrid
    ATK Package (contains ATKACPI And Hotkey Drivers)
    Intel Chipset Drivers

To check how TurboBoost was performing, I was using under Windows 7 the Intel Turbo Boost Monitor v 1.04, which was working fine. Now I cannot find a direct download for it anymore, only this for v3. If you want to try the v1.04, let me know and I'll look it up and upload on mediafire.

4. Vlad_The_Unknown

Reputations:
    One more thing, if you stress your CPU 100% with a multithreaded app, it is correct that it will fall back to the lowest frequency that its temperature and cooling allows. You should be able to see a higher clock if you run a single threaded test

5. Shpati

Reputations:
    I didn't see anything for the Intel Chipset Driver.

I got the ATK/ACPI. Thanks.

The Turbo Boost monitor would not install on mine. I guess they don't work on Windows 10 maybe? It said install successful but nothing shows up. I checked several folders after a reboot. Nothing.

6. Vlad_The_Unknown

Reputations:
    Sorry, I didn't link the Intel chipset drivers, you can find them in the intel website.

It may be possible that the turbo boost monitor may not work on windows 10, I never upgraded to that os

7. Shpati

Reputations:
  8. Vlad_The_Unknown

Reputations:
    The reason that this download does not work for you is that the chipsets supported by the most recent package do not include the Intel® HM55 Express Chipset which is used in our Asus N61JQ. Version 10.1.1.18 was definitely supporting it, I don't know at which point the support was dropped. Maybe you can start from that one and go up until it will tell you that it is not supported.

9. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How are your temps?

The BIOS update does not do any RAM test, and you dont need to have any OEM RAM installed to update your BIOS.

Install the chipset driver, as well as the Intel Management Engine, most likely thats what you are lacking for it to work correctly.

10. Shpati

Reputations:
    Temps are pretty good. Usually never goes higher than 82C. I just replaced the fan. And I remove the bottom panel when I am at home.

Isn't the Intel Management Engine for storage? If not, where would I get that driver for Windows 10?