* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Vlad_The_Unknown

Vlad_The_Unknown Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How did your driver upgrade go?

2. NEX_SASIN

NEX_SASIN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Recently flashed modded BIOS with latest CPU microcode and that's where i learned the BIOS Flash Descriptor and Intel ME firmware are write protected from software. It is the worst case scenario for me because i think the ME firmware on my laptop is corrupted to a certain degree, crippling the system while still somewhat operational.

Does anyone know a pinmod for this board to unlock FD?

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    What issues are you having?
    IME by default is locked and cannot be written without MSI providing the unlock, and if it's corrupted your system won't work at all.

4. NEX_SASIN

Reputations:
    Hi Kelvin, these are the problems:

Keyboard holding down "+" or "0" letter after booting up Win10 as shown on notepad, windows can't register any mousepad click during that period, it last for a minute or 2 before clicks is semi-responsive again. But the keyboard will still randomly pressing down that 2 keys on random period. Keyboard may not be faulty. This can be fixed by disabling all possible subdevices in System Devices in Device Manager, except PCIe port for GPU and EHCI USB.

System CMOS battery is functional as date timer is retained with no battery or AC power, but everytime if i plug AC power on, laptop turn on itself, CPU fan goes full speed, CMOS settings reset, all for unplugged for 5-10 seconds and replug.

Wifi LED indicator doesn't lit up with the switch on, sometimes it functions after AC power cycle with above mention problem until the next AC power cycle. Windows doesn't register wifi adapter being switched on when the indicator doesn't lit up, only fix is have the switcher set on and restart windows, next boot wifi will be working. Switch off and on again and it will not work until another reboot. When the indicator is working, it works properly in windows with the switcher on off.

Note all those problems still happening with clean installed OS. It is not windows issue but likely hardware, in this case i read about how Intel ME could be corrupted and still semi-functional with random odd problems can occur. At this point Intel ME can't be communicated to verify its functionality with software tools, so i think it is the case.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    1. Do you have an extra USB keyboard? Plug it into the system to see if it works. If it does, your keyboard might be defective.
    2. You need a new CMOS battery. This system is more than 8 years old, it's normal for the CMOS battery to run out of juice between 8 to 10 years.
    3. Software that manages the Wifi LED might not be working properly, perhaps a reinstall of the utility may help with the issue, including related Windows components such as Dotnet 3.5, etc.
    ME does not corrupt on its own unless a virus has tempered with your BIOS and if that's the case your system will not be functional at all.
    WiFi, keyboard, and all of the touch buttons are controlled by EC (embedded controller) which has no relationship with Intel ME.
    Intel ME manages functions of Intel's own internal infrastructure component such as processor, chipset, storage controller, and others.

6. NEX_SASIN

Reputations:
    You are right it is not ME problem, did another AC power cycle today and the Wifi LED is working properly with the switcher (in BIOS and Windows). MEinfo report ME reset on power up and no error status.

Couldn't recreate the keyboard issue after re-enabled all the subdevices, so the USB keyboard test wouldn't provide a verifying result. Also Wifi isn't managed by any 3rd party software, using only Windows provided driver and its own management.

Overall, no idea how it put itself back together and this is not the first time happening. Also had system detect 1 of 2 sticks of RAM before but fixed itself after resitting the sticks several times later. (Deflective RAM / RAM slot?)

CMOS battery should be the issue for BIOS reset, but can the date and time still be working and not reset due to low battery voltage but cause other system resets?

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Ok, so most of them are working now. Try running memtest using USB flash drive and make sure you don't have integrity issues.
    A dead CMOS battery will cause the time to reset upon disconnection of power unless you can keep power supplied to it from both the system battery and AC adapter.

NEX_SASIN likes this.
  8. NEX_SASIN

Reputations:
    Thanks for the assist. There has never been BSOD or random app crash but I'll do memtest for just in case. Going to keep the laptop stationary and plugged in for the time being until i can replace Cmos battery, and then best hope the oddities never happen again. :)

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.