* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Vlad_The_Unknown

Vlad_The_Unknown Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would stay with Win 7, I'm not sure you'll have any gains with Win10. But if you have Win 10 keep it
    Install all the latest drivers listed here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-n61jq-drivers-support-thread.732482/. For the GPU driver use Catalyst 13.4 if Win 7, the latest if Win 10.
    I would suggest you to upgrade first the HDD to an SSD and place the HDD in a caddy in the DVD slot. Then if you have the money upgrade the CPU and the RAM.

2. serenadezzz

serenadezzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My laptop is officially dead, i had a great time with it, but it's time to renew it. Thanks for all the information i got from this thread!!

RIP Asus N61JQ Nov 2010 - Jan 2017

3. chez9891

chez9891 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone still using this beauty?

I moved back to using this as my primary work/gaming laptop about 2 years back. It is still chugging along after I replace the battery, upgraded the RAM (8 GB), upgraded to SSD, and replaced the thermal paste. It simply refuses to die.

Using it since Jan 2010.

4. jlklein

jlklein Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks,
    First post here, I'm trying to follow some of the links on the BSOD issue and it keeps taking me to the "http://forum.notebookreview.com/" page, so I think the links are broken. Does anyone know if they can be modified to work?

In a nutshell, my daughter bought an ASUS N61JQ off of eBay and it's just been one problem after another. The old, "oh we're just selling it because we never use it anymore" line. I highly suspect they may have dropped it. Main issues were BSODs, power shutting off randomly (like when you hold down the power button), or shutting down when you plug into a USB port (like it got grounded out or something), sometimes even moving the power plug. I'd also opened it up a few times and made sure everything was clean internally as well, i.e. fans and anything around cooling fins or piping. We also replaced ram, tried one stick then the other, etc, with no change. Then her hard drive crashed hard and I'm still trying to recover data from it. A new hard drive got it back up and running, but it's still having the same old power issues.

Anyway, she ended up throwing in the towel and buying a new ASUS GL753VE as she is an avid Youtuber and does Voiceover work as well and needed to cut her losses. However, as I highly suspect the motherboard may just be damaged beyond repair (since it's what all of these connections have in common), I wonder if I might be able to replace the motherboard and resurrect it (Daddy needs a better laptop, too <g>). I've also read of some issues with the gpu overheating over time and possibly causing cold solder joints and intermittent connections, but I haven't been able to figure out if that's a separate card or part of the motherboard.

Any thoughts on this? If everything's on the motherboard and swapping it out has a good chance of bringing it back to life, I'm game for that (I was a Nuke Electronics Tech in the Navy and work in networked AV nowadays, so am no stranger to PC and laptop work). I just don't know if it's worth it.

Thanks for any thoughts,
    Jeff

5. serenadezzz

serenadezzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The first thing i would do is disable the Ethernet port on BIOS, at least for me it solved the random BSOD and freezes.