* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Kubx

Kubx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    So i have a n61jq for 5 years and recently i have a problem, sometimes when im playing or just in browser, my computer freezes and the screen goes black with a repeating beeping sound, the only way to stop this is to turn off directly on the button. This just happens at random times...

anyone have an ideia of what the problem is?

Thanks!

2. TRANTUSNY

TRANTUSNY Newbie

Reputations:
    Sounds like an overheating problem. FOR ALL OVERHEATING PROBLEMS:

edit: !!! disabling turboboost remedies most of the heating and freezing problems !!!

original:
    I keep mine cool (55C - 65C in summer) by doing periodical maintenance and using notebook fan control. What I mean by maintenance is removing the fan cover and reverse blowing into the exhaust to remove excess and usually solidified dust that's blocking the airways (easy). You should also be able to renew thermal paste at least every 2 years as a part of routine maintenance (hard). And it would be wise to replace the fan at this point too * Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge * (moderate)

Options in the software realm, on the other hand, are limited yet effective. I'm using the voltground config with notebook fan control, which can manage fan speed on par with temperature rather than going full speed after a threshold as other configs I tried has done(easy). I've also done away with the 32bit versions of especially Chrome, iTunes, Nod32 and VLC. It made a palpable difference, surpassing my expectations. And last, keep your usb3.0, bt, wifi and graphics drivers up-to-date. And no, you won't be able to adjust brightness.

Besides those, this unit was born flawed in terms of heat management so always expect to feel the heat (pun intended).

voltground config: http://www.voltground.com/haven/threads/69/ for the not so savvy: just download the .xml file and follow the instructions given under the Tools section

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  3. TRANTUSNY

TRANTUSNY Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm now trying to migrate to linux and dual boot with windows. I have a two hdd ( new SSD primary + old HDD in optical drive bay ) system and windows running on the SSD, linux sitting on HDD. The problem is, the Expressgate trash seems to be vanished when I installed linux on the HDD and I just can't boot Windows when I switch primary to HDD. Both problems sound like GRUB issues but I also feel like having fried the expressgate partition (if there had been one, yet to be investigated on forums). Will update this post with further info.

+ Regarding express gate: This is the most recent version I could find. Follow the links to the end and it shall download a ~400MB file with a windows installer inside. Just install it like a regular software and it should work.

It creates some hidden files and directories on the root dir (i.e. C:\) with .sqx and .idx extensions. Those squashfs files comprise the Express Gate which is based on a proprietary Linux version called Splashtop. Some guy here actually was able to play around with the files and add new capabilities to OS. I didn't try it myself since I was interested in assigning another OS to the quick boot button rather than pushing more bloatware.

I failed to make a productive use of the button because the boot sequence of Express Gate seems to rely on some kind of special BIOS function which was detailed on Splashtop's vendor company's patents. I couldn't find any peace to read them yet, so I'll leave this to some other day.

+ Regarding dual boot: my attemps at dual booting failed miserably as I couldn't manage the Windows boot manager to detect the linux installation in the hdd. I found out that windows bootmgr was installed on the MBR and It'd be a clean solution to change it into UEFI but since I fried the Recovery partition and don't have the recovery dvd, I also reached a dead end.

edit: I used archlinux for quite some time but AMD drivers eventually made me drop it and return to windows 7. I can still tell the linux experience was smooth, excluding some heating due to subpar drivers.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  4. Martin34

Martin34 Newbie

Reputations:
    Do we have a solution for the windows 10 brightness control issues via hotkey? Is there some other tool perhaps? I am currently controlling brightness using the ATI catalyst driver setting for colors. But that is bothersome.

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
  6. GregW

GregW Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just stumbled back in here to say hi. It's amazing this Lounge I started is still occasionally being used over 6 1/2 years later. I vividly remember what a bang for the buck this thing was and how much fun we all had in here when it first came out. I'm curious who's in here the longest. If you read this text, about when did you start following / participating in this lounge.

Shpati and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  7. c300g97

c300g97 Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys, i've bought this exact laptop on ebay for a steal price! It's in very good conditions, cpu runs pretty hot imho (54C idle).
    But battery (original one), lasts 1 hour or less.... If i buy a new one with more capability but still compatible like a 5200mah? Will it do?
    And i've had a curious problem, without the power supply the screen went black (so when on battery), but as soon as i fixed the brightness thing in regedit the notebook works on battery with this mid-high brightness, what a strange thing...

8. Shpati

Shpati Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I try to check this thread every couple of months or so to try to help out if anybody needs it.

I started participating in this thread in the summer of 2011, I vividly remember that time.

N61JQ was probably the best investment I have made in my life :)

9. Shpati

Shpati Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I really don't know anything about upgrading the battery. Just keep in mind, this laptop is basically a desktop replacement. So don't think you can buy some kind of battery where you can 2-3 solid hours. Any battery you buy will probably get worn out and be almost useless in a couple of months. The only thing useful about the battery on this laptop is that if your electricity goes out, the battery will give you some time to save and close things out. I remember getting a new battery via warranty way back, and I still only got 1 hour and 30 minutes off it max. And I remember it being worn out within 2-3 months. Now, I still get a solid 2-3 minutes of battery when my electricity goes out :) . This thing is just so uncomfortable on your lap (bulky and hot on the bottom) and heavy to move around. I would not recommend anybody to move this thing around a lot. That's why I don't care about the battery.

As far the screen going black when on battery (unplugged), it's probably due to backlight issue with the ATI Drivers over 13.4. For instance, my screen goes black if I keep my brightness below 62%. I'm not sure at which number your screen will black (play around with it in the P4G application). If you keep it plugged and have your brightness set at 100%, you will be fine. However, once it goes to unplugged, your power settings might automatically reduce your brightness to save battery. And it might put it below a certain brightness percentage, which will make your screen go black. So all I can recommend is to find out at which brightness percentage your screen goes black and make sure none of your power plans (both plugged and unplugged) don't go below that percentage. For instance, I keep all my brightness percentages at 62% for all my power plans (Performance, Entertainment, Quiet Office, Battery [plugged, unplugged]). That way if I accidentally unplug the power, electricity goes out, I accidentally press the power plan hotkey, it won't ever go completely dark.

10. tez

tez Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear ASUS N61JQ users,
    Do you know which one is the latest display driver (for Win7, 64-bit) that doesn't cause "no background light/black screen" issue? Regards