* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Matt-Matt

Matt-Matt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Welcome and aboard the N61JQ Owners Lounge! :D

Just a question, why do you have 6GB and not 8GB? Surely 8GB would have meant you could have matching RAM sticks?

Happy posting and such! Be sure to check out the rest of the forums, it's quite a read i must say! :)

2. shakes

shakes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply loney, I didn't mean his laptop in particular. I meant the Asus n61 in general seems to have chronic over heat issues. I have seen many posts with people stating that after a year or so there laptop has begun to crash and overheat even with minor loads put on it. I am hopeing someone can direct me towards a couple of quick tests I could run on the laptop that will put it under heavy strain so I can see if it will overheat and crash. I don't want tobyey a lemon : )

3. egidij88

egidij88 Newbie

Reputations:
    I got one 4GB RAM stick for free. Before I had 2x2GB, so now I replaced one 2GB stick with 4GB. They match, same voltage, frequency, brand...
    I could buy another 4GB stick (or even 8), but I don't see any need.

Will check other forums too, when I will have some time. :)

4. Matt-Matt

Matt-Matt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Intel Burn test, it's about 5mb max. It makes the laptop the hottest it can without playing an actual game. (It only stresses the CPU).

It's basically what Intel use to stress test their CPU's before they get sold, so it must be good!

Nice! Well i can see why you don't want to buy anymore RAM now! Afterall 4GB is a bit too less to have, where as 8GB is a bit overkill.. My desktop has 6GB too ;)

5. battlecat

battlecat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, just wondering how well my laptop will perform with Diablo 3? Seems like there will be battles with many sprites on-screen so will CPU be bigger concern than GPU?

Anyone have the Beta running on this?

Let me know, thanks! :D

Diablo III System Requirements - Battle.net Support

6. haloistaken

haloistaken Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just wondering, I ordered a new battery lol and I heard I have to let the battery charge full then die and then repeat it again before starting to use it? Should I do that? Or is there a different way of making sure my battery lasts for a whilee

7. JarFreak

JarFreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    im prolly gonna try the game out too, ive seen couple vids on youtube. It doesnt look like this game is gonna be that heavy to run. i think we should be fine :)

8. bobbydee

bobbydee Newbie

Reputations:
    hello everyone!

so far, so good -- my N61JQ-X2 has been running just fine. i managed to find the hidden partition on the hard drive, and was able to restore the OS (and all the bloatware) with the original Win 7 64 bit home premium that came on the machine as new......so that was a relief.

i keep mine on my work table, and it gets good ventilation. i have not had ANY overheating problems at all. opened it up last month to clean it, and it was SPOTLESS inside......no dust or dirt anywhere.

it's really a great machine. i am really lusting pretty hard for an Asus Zenbook -- but i know i would miss this 16" screen and the powerful i7 CPU and 5730 GPU on this computer.

went a little bit crazy buying and installing games from amazon -- and this computer has done a great job with everything i have tried.

gonna be doing some video and audio editing this month, so i can't wait to see how the machine handles it.

i really want to get an SSD drive for my machine, and put another 4 GB ram chip in it so i have 8 GB.......and it will be MAXXED at that point!

i'd have to spend over a grand on a new computer to get one as powerful as my N61JQ-X2......i'm really pretty fond of mine!

but i WILL consider trades towards an Asus Zenbook, lol ;-)

9. chubbyfatazn

chubbyfatazn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any experience in replacing the headphone jack? My friend's came out when he pulled his headphones out one day. I have some soldering skills, and offered to help him out if he wanted to fix it.

10. egidij88

egidij88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep, battery capacity will get better, once you charge and empty it a few times.

EDIT: Oh, one question. I only saw a few posts about Bios update. I still have Bios from 10/2009, but everything is working perfectly. So updating Bios is only a solution, if something doesn't work, or should I update sometimes? There is some risk, as I understand, and I would probably not get anything good with this update, or am I wrong?