* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Megiddo2000

Megiddo2000 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yea I did cleartype before and it worked pretty well. Just wondering if there was a better alternative but I guess not.

Thanks for the help thou!

2. Matt-Matt

Matt-Matt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No problems man! This is a forum after all!

3. nocoolnamejim

nocoolnamejim Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. Nice to meet you all.

I'm doing a bit of late Christmas shopping and was hoping that somebody more knowledgeable than me could help me out.

Last year, I got an N61JQ-X1 laptop for my lovely and geeky wife. One of the presents that I was hoping to get this year would be a nice docking station to go along with a new monitor for her gaming needs.

Can someone make a recommendation or two or point me in the right direction?

I'm very grateful for any help or suggestions offered.

4. asphyxiation

asphyxiation Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had this laptop for almost 2 years and it's been almost a year that I've had a horrible overheating problem. It will crash due to overheating from almost anything, and it's the very left side that overheats. Anyone have an idea what this could be from? I need to get it fixed.

Also, my C drive is super full. Maybe that's a part of it? Why is my D drive so empty compared to it? Is there some way to connect the two to share information?

5. Matt-Matt

Reputations:
    As for the overheating problem send it in under warranty! If you have none open it and clean it yourself. I can host the guide to dissasembly if you need me to on Mediafire or the likes!

As for the hard drive "issue" you can delete the D drive and extend the C drive with the space from C. Right click on my computer in the start menu then go to manage. Then go to disk management, it will take a few seconds to load depending. Now you will see a C/D drive at the bottom. You can now right click on D selecting "Shrink" or "Delete". (Delete will remove everything from it). Then once that's done you can go to C and right click "Extend Volume".

Hope that helps, that's just from my memory!

6. nocoolnamejim

nocoolnamejim Newbie

Reputations:
    Any owners of this laptop out there have any ideas on this one? Greatly appreciated!

7. FalconFour

FalconFour Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alright, guys, I need a hand here. There's no "owners lounge" topic for the N61Jv, which I found kinda weird (it's the one with Optimus, which is the whole reason I went for the N61 line anyway!)... but the models should be identical in regards to the issue I'm having.

I can't. Find. Plastics. For. This. Model. Anywhere.

No website, not eBay, not eStore, nowhere online, can I find any plastics for this thing. No LCD cover, no LCD bezel, no palmrest/cover, no panels, NOTHING. Certainly no motherboards. There's a huge black hole of parts for this damn thing.

My N61Jv-x2 has been creaking itself to death. I've had it for a lil' over a year and a half, and it's got me WISHING I had bought a Lenovo or Dell, something more solid-built. The LCD back cover is cracked at both corners, the hinge creaks, and the inner LCD bezel is broken-off its screw post at the lower-right corner along with being completely cracked across that corner. The LCD itself also developed a dead vertical line, but I fixed that with some pressure-padding (folded napkin) on the dead part of the conductive LCD film - held strong over 4 more months now without even a reminder it was there;)

All that, and I haven't even been rough with the thing! I always carry it in my padded bag and it's never dropped (maybe rolled off the bed onto the floor once or twice, OK, but that's what a solid-state drive is for), but the design is so heavy and unsupported, it flexes when I put it in/pull it out of the bag...

I really just want to replace the LCD plastics and keyboard (many key labels are wearing off) and sell the thing. The keyboard is easy to find for just $20 on eBay, but the others... not so much. :/

BTW, if nothing else, what do you think is a good price to ask for this N61Jv, i5 2.27GHz, 4gb RAM, Sony BDRW drive (seamless with Asus bezel), Bluetooth, and 90gb OCZ Vertex2 SSD? Reasonable to ask the original $900 for it, or...?

8. Matt-Matt

Reputations:
    Uhh, contact Asus? I know you can get keyboards on ebay too as i have a spare.. 'cause my last laptops keyboard died and i had to put up with it!
    You'd get nothing for it i don't reckon as to the condition it's in! :/
    You'd probably be better off selling it for spares or using it as a backup PC
    Or just for downloading, then pulling the SSD into another PC :/

Nope! Asus don't make docks for these! Unless you get a Express-Slot style one! Or a USB one! You won't get one! :/

9. nocoolnamejim

nocoolnamejim Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Matt.

Kind of a stupid question I guess, but what are the differences between Express-Slot, USB and normal docking stations?

10. Matt-Matt

Reputations:
    Well a USB would be the least desirable.. I'm not too sure if there's actually a docking station for express card** (my bad)
    But you can get USB 3.0 hubs which would be great for hard drives if you don't want to spent alot..

I just found This.. looks exactly like what you want.. BUT FARK! Look at the price on that thing :s

Sorry but that's all i'd really suggest. Something of that style, unless you can find a USB one?