* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. LordDavon

LordDavon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I play Crysis with it on my lap mostly. I, obviously, make sure it gets good airflow. No laptop can handle someone blocking the airflow vents.

This is my first "non gaming" laptop. All of my older gaming laptops were either Dell XPS (before that line went to Alienware) or Alienware. Placing them on the bed or a couch while playing would make them overheat also.

Asus did a really good job with the airflow on the N61JQ. It is designed identical to my older XPS M1730. Multiple heat pipes and a good blower. The intakes are positioned nicely too.

This isn't considered a gaming laptop because it is missing the LAN party lighting, has standard sound and no sub-woofer, no backlit keyboard and a lower resolution screen. Well, at least those are the only differences between my friends Alienware "gaming" laptop and mine. Oh, his also has some special network card that improves LAN party performance.

2. Matt-Matt

Matt-Matt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah i agree Davon, the other stuff is useless, and for newer games (the ones with 1920x1080 support) wouldn't really run well on a laptop anyway? Well that's just my opinion

3. schoolboydj

schoolboydj Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I'm considering purchasing the ASUS N61JQ-B2. I don't see anything posted about the B2 version. What's the difference between the A1 and the B2? The ASUS website doesn't specify a letter, they simply have N61JQ to look at, so I'm not really sure what the letter represent, possible model updates? I'm in college and play WoW moderatly during the school year, and this laptop seems like a good deal ($1200 at newegg). Do these laptops go on sale often; should I hold out and watch for a deal? Any problems I should know about the B2 model; there are no reviews on newegg...

Thanks!

4. Deathwinger

Deathwinger Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How much more improved can you get from 5ms to 20ms connections? Also, this might not qualify as a gaming laptop. But what does it mean if you are owning people who DO have gaming rigs? :p

5. Matt-Matt

Matt-Matt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Same laptop, just slightly better specs.
    i7 740QM which is 1.73ghz
    Blu Ray Combo Drive
    500GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive (probably better then a 5,200 for performance.)

EDIT: Yes it's a good deal, if WOW will run well on this laptop. I'm unsure though, and it's dependant when this laptop goes on sale.. However when the next best laptop CPU comes out it will drop by alot i can bet.

6. GarryChow

GarryChow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you are from Canada, you should try Canada Computers. They have it on sale right now for $999.

ASUS N61JQ-B1, Multimedia Notebook (Dark Brown) - Intel Core i7-740QM, 16" HD LED, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, ATI RADEON HD 5730 1GB, DVD-RW, 802.11bgn, Bluetooth, 2.0M Webcam, USB 3.0, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit | Canada Computers

7. caynan

caynan Newbie

Reputations:
    I`m from brazil (sorry for the poor english) , well, i had an Asus N61jq-xv1, and i want to buy a notebook cooler. So does any model that u guys recommend to me? thnks

i`m in doubt with the Thermaltake Massive 23 and the Cooler master infinite.

8. Atook

Atook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    caynan, the consensus seems to be that a notebook cooler won't help much, just elevate the machine a little (I prop mine up on my desk) to make sure the intakes are clear.

9. omega939

omega939 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, i would like to know if there's anyone here who is using this software to tweak their n61jq? Read & Write Utility

RW - Read & Write

RW - Read & WriteRW - Read & Write

This is a great utility for tweaking but i don't know how to use it.
    this software uses hex code.... Probably you guys can give it a try (just to increase the multiplier of the processor or the front side bus) and guide us. tnx

10. sinwha321

sinwha321 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys I'm going to get a memory upgrade from the current 4gb to 8gb.

Here's the page I'm on:
    DDR2 1066MHz RAM | Laptop Memory | Ebuyer.com
    Which ones should I buy?
    Strangely, the corsair one, although it should work withmy laptop in principle, when I use their memory configurator on the corsair website, my laptop is not one of theose listed...