* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. scias23

scias23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The fan runs faster and noisier after I flashed the 209. No temp changes though.

2. mike2010

mike2010 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Boss, please, on first page, is it possible to put a date when you change the link for drivers update ? It will be easier to navigate from with all the changes that A.s.u.s does not give us any change log... this date would be a landmark for us...
    Thanks so much

3. daniel_san

daniel_san Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anybody knows a way to restore my recovery partition? As i said in a older post, I installed a clean copy of windows.Now i lost my videomagic suite.
    I emailed to asus support and they answered that the only way to reinstall the programs is to acces recovery partition.
    Now the problem is that i had to rewrite the MBR, and i can't acces this partition anymore by pressing the F9 key, but physicaly is still there(i can see it in disk management and explore it in my computer-i assigned it a letter).
    I can't set it as active in disk management.
    Thank you.

P.S: Don't keep the nb set on high performance p4g profile if you want to keep it cool.
    I have a feeling that it is overvolting your processor,i mean the clock speed stays very high when is no need(1.73-2.40GHZ in idle with no application runing)
    )
    My advice is to keep it on "balance" power management profile.
    Example: While i am using high performance my processor stay at 55-59-54-52 and gpu at 54-58 in idle but while i am using balance it stay at 47-45-50-49 processor and 46-48 degrees GPU(processor stay constant at 933-1600 MHZ at 0%-10% load).
    You can make your own profile like me when you are running on AC. I set maximum processor performance at 55% , GPU on maximum battery saving(300mhz/300mhz) and active cooling to keep it cool while i am browsing or listening music and i don't need performance.

4. stevedogg

stevedogg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not home to check, but isn't there a recovery CD you can use to restore? I'm not thinking of the DVD set some people have burned to store the initial configuration, but a CD that works in conjunction with the recovery partition to restore the system.

5. rcanas

rcanas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any suggestions on this??

6. stevedogg

Reputations:
    Video playback settings can be found in Catalyst Control Center (CCC). You can get there by double-clicking the "ATI" icon in the notification area of the taskbar. The only setting that I have found to significantly degrade video playback was "dynamic contrast." It makes the blacks misbehave (lighten and darken).

The only other thing I could suggest is to double check the display settings for the external monitor/TV; make sure the resolution matches the native resolution of TV. Those settings can also be found inside CCC or in Win 7 by right-clicking the desktop and choosing "screen resolution."

7. waxxt

waxxt Newbie

Reputations:
    Bump*

Any idears on this one? =]

8. stevedogg

Reputations:
    Check in CCC. There is a page in there where you can set some properties of the display. I thought I remembered seeing refresh rate in there. I would think it would be automatically selected to the proper refresh rate for your monitor though.

9. Atook

Atook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey waxxt.

I could be wrong, but my understanding of LCDs is that there is no refresh rate. It's a different technology than the old CRTs which actually scanned the image across the screen. So there is no difference when running an LCD at 60Hz or 75Hz.

So the simple solution is to not worry about it at all! :)

10. narcoticx2

narcoticx2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm wanting to install VideoMagic on a clean Win7 recovery (using provided recovery disk). I've changed to a solid state disc :)
    The recovery disc that you burn uses the partition on the disc.
    The disc that comes with the laptop is a clean windows 7 install, and the cyberlink suite provided on the separate disc is not the videomagic version - it doesn't have the truemotion and theatreHD settings and so no upscaling framerate and resolution.