* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. GregW

GregW Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Y560 looks good but you might be mistaken on the price. The Y560 has a list price of $1299 if you get the i7 model. It comes in an i3 and i5 also which might be what you are using to compare to the N61 which only comes with the i7. As far as the N61 keyboard/touchpad goes it is a rubbery coating. Pesronally I like the keyboard. The peeling is not a certin thing and I have posted all the reports of this on the first page. One could conclude from the amount of reports that this is a problem with a very small minority of the N61's. My opinion is that if you rub on the front edge while in a bag or on your lap you can cause peeling of the rubber coating. I am being carefull and it seems to work. The coating is cosmetic and eventually could start to wear off like paint. That being said it is nice to have and I would rather have it for some time than to not order this laptop and never have it.

2. Micron-PDX

Micron-PDX Newbie

Reputations:
    Lenovo website has like $400 off the suggested price this week with code USPMOTHERSDAY. I did not know if we can quote prices, but it's $949 shipped. Lowest N61JQ-A1 is $1065-1099. Identical processor and video, and I think the Y560 has 1333RAM. Problem is that one can never see an Ideapad in the flesh.

Thanks for the description on the rubber feel. One thing I forgot to ask is the precise width of the N61. I see both 15.4 and 15.1" which believe it or not makes a difference in my work bag when I need to travel with two machines on longer trips! If it weren't for all the nitpicky things, life would be easy...battery life, backlit keys, keyboard feel, speakers, shared delete/insert key, Ctrl key in the wrong place (see Y560), lid latches, lid design, hinges, tray vs slot DVD, etc., etc., etc. One goes mad shopping once you decide on the processor and video. :)

At least I know either one will blow away my current laptop and even rival my desktop. So I'll be happy...I think (until the battery runs out!!)

Thanks again in advance for any info.

3. GregW

GregW Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Asus lists the width as 38.4cm if you want to convert it. I come up with 15 1/8". As you say you really can't go wrong with either one. I think quite a few people struggled with waiting for the Y560 or just getting the N61. Personally I would choose the N61 but obviously I'm biased. I understand your difficulty choosing. I wrestled for a month over this one and a couple of other models. If you haven't already done so then check out the owners reviews on the first page. Good luck and let us know which one you pick.

4. narcoticx2

narcoticx2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nah, unless I got ripped off ;) i5 520m here :)

5. King of Rapture

King of Rapture Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Woo Hoo, got my laptop yesterday. Been busy setting it up and updating the drivers. The updated drivers listed on the first page are godsend. My hat off to our friend Greg for constantly updating the first page and keeping this thread alive.

The good:
    Mine came with DDR3 1333.

The bad:
    I am not sure, I think I might have a dead pixel.

Backlight Keyboard:
    As soon as my wife comes home, I will ask her to verify the serial number for me, so that I can email it to Asus.

My small contribution:
    Definitely, the Intel Turboboost technology is different from the Asus 33 Turbo. I spoke to soon and I apologize to everyone for it.

A newer version of Intel Turboboost Monitor v1.04 was released on May 4, 2010. Here are the links for it:

Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor Free Download and Reviews - Fileforum

|MG| Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor 1.04 Download

Review:
    I will post a review soon comparing the N61Jq and UL50Vt. Two different Asus machines, with satisfaction levels. Hope the comparison that I will do is alright with Greg.

Best regards,

KOR!

6. 2MNY

2MNY Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unless you are upgrading your version of windows 7 (expensive and not recommended for the few features it adds) there is no need to buy a retail copy of windows 7. Just reinstall using the CD key located on the sticker on the bottom of your N61. Your N61 purchase includes a license for Windows 7 Home Premium. Meaning, you can run one copy of Win 7 HP on your N61, regardless of who installed it or how many times it is installed. Downloading the windows 7 install disk from the internet and burning it to DVD or copying to a USB key IS NOT illegal. Activating Windows using a license you did not purchase and own IS illegal.

The ASUS utility isn't necessary for this but it can make delaying startup programs a lot easier. If you want to do this without the ASUS utility, use the Windows Task Scheduler. Create a new task that runs the program you want to delay. Under the Triggers tab, set it to run at logon or startup with a delay time of your choice. Now disable he program from running immediately at startup from MSCONFIG.

You can also speed up your computer by hibernating instead of shutting down.

7. Realmoste

Realmoste Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys i own Asus N61JQ also for three weeks.I have been so happy with my laptop so far.But today when i add Microsoft Notebook Bluetooth mouse 5000 , its added correctly.But after a minute mouse dissappears from device and printer list.Anyone knows how to solvethis problem?

Also ,
    Is there any order for driver setup after clean setup of windows 7.

Thanks for answers

8. Sm0k3d 0uT

Sm0k3d 0uT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am not sure if this is legit or if this was the battery that was discussed before, but someone on EBay is selling a 9 cell battery that is supposed to be for the N61 line. Ebay 9 Cell Battery

9. King of Rapture

King of Rapture Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wonder too!

It says, "original battery". If this statement is true than they should have it at Asus store.

Though, a good find!

10. Risco

Risco Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It may fit, but does it affect opening the lid?