1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

* Asus N61JQ Owners Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GregW, Feb 3, 2010.

1. DasBoogieMan

DasBoogieMan Notebook Enthusiast

@sonofcrake
    When the GPU crashes and reboots, did you manage to get a pic of what the clocks were like? Try using GPUZ because you might've forced it to run at power saving clock speeds

@Shpati
    Umm I don't know the other bench but I got 5000 for Vantage overall and 4500 something ish for GPU, but then my i7 is at 1850mhz and my GPU is at 750/1000Mhz

2. Matt-Matt

Matt-Matt Notebook Evangelist

You guys are pushing your i7's..
    I may look into that app, for testing purposes of course..
    I may just overclock it a tad for everyday use as apps love that bit of extra frequency..
    I've got a 120mm LED fan, problem is i have no way to power it :/

Nice overclocks on the GPU's btw also.. It's probably safer to overclock this as for memory it has better cooling too. 'cos the laptop has 3 heatpipes, 2 on the GPU and 1 on the CPU i think.. Not too sure..

3. Loney111111

Loney111111 Notebook Deity

Every time I put the computer into hibernate or sleep, or shut it down, then turn it back on again, Sapphire TRIXX reports that the fan is operating at 100%. However, when I lift the laptop and look underneath, the fan isn't moving. I have to switch to automatic mode then back to fixed mode in order to get the fan running.

Just a question, could the overclock override the Processor Power Management? I don't want the CPU to run above 1.6 Ghz all of the time, only when I set the power setting to "High Performance" for gaming.

EDIT: I just noticed the free version does not support n61jq and that support for it was yanked a while ago. Where can I get a SetFSB version that supports n61jq?

4. Matt-Matt

I dunno, i can't seem to "Find" one that supports it..
    How much is it to buy? :/

5. Loney111111

The fan is become inconsistent, someone it runs, sometime it doesn't, even when playing TF2. GPUZ and Sapphire TRIXX reported that the fan is operating at 100% but when I look underneath the laptop, the fan isn't moving. Is there a way to check if it's damaged and replace it?

6. Matt-Matt

Woah..
    You sure don't want to be running games like that..
    My desktops 120mm CPU fan has a similar problem though, i think i damaged the cable as when i move it around (while it's on) - yes i know i shouldn't..
    It works if i place it in a certain spot! (The cable) that is..

Might want to check that, but otherwise it sounds like your fans damaged, probably the cable of the motor..

7. Shpati

Shpati Notebook Consultant

Can anyone here tell my how to undervolt the CPU and GPU. For the GPU, I am using the Sapphire TRIXX overclocking program, and I cannot get this to undervolt at all. I set it down, and it will not apply, it just resets to 1.10 Volts again.

What is the minimum you can undervolt the CPU and GPU?

Anyone know?

8. DasBoogieMan

@shpati
    As far as I know, it is not possible to under volt the i7-720qm or the gpu due to hardwired voltage control loops on the chip. But, if you have an arrandale chip eg i5s there have been reports that their max tdp can be altered with Throttlestop 3.0

@everyone

Ummm you gotta buy the legit setFSB, well worth it though , just go to the setFSB site and follow the instructions

SetFSB is independent of the power management since it directly jacks up your base clock while the power management system only alters the CPU multipliers. Eg at power saving, the CPU applies x9 to 133mhz base clock but if I oc to 155mhz base, then the power saving is still x9 but it is applied to 155mhz. You have to remember your stable settings and apply them by booting the program, the changes last until you either reset then settings or shutdown your comp. Oh, and never change stuff on setFSB in the middle of a CPU intensive app since it'll crash type system.

Just a warning, check your bios. I could get the 1850mhz oc only with the 202 bios. Just recently flashed to 212 and the clocks get unstable beyond 1750mhz. A real shame since it looks like ASus really didnt like me getting near i7-840qm performance so I'll have to be content with 740qm perf for now.
    Gonna upgrade to the 920xm sometime this week so I'll post how t all turns out.

9. NEX_SASIN

NEX_SASIN Notebook Evangelist

920xm is 10 TDW over the default one. Not sure is a good idea passing the TDW regulation on N61 designated mobo. But i'll be waiting for the good news Das, alot games these days are using Unreal engine needs CPU speed especially when with ATI/AMD graphic.

One question, wouldn't the TurboBoost became less active then the default cpu due to the massive heat generates?

10. DasBoogieMan

well, since im voiding the warranty anyway by installing it so I'll be upgunning the cooling by attaching some low profile copper heatsinks over the heatpipes. Plus I'll apply some Arctic Silver 5.
    The beauty of the 920XM is that you can manually set the TDP, TDC and turbo boost multipliers. I'd always been annoyed at the pansy multipliers for dual threads on the 720qm so i'd jack it up and apply a TDP of 60. I'm not going for any extreme overclocks but at stock, it will definitely outperform the overclocked i7-720qm.

11. NEX_SASIN

I actually done that to my N61, i posted my stuffs somewhere 10-20 pages back. The temp on 720qm single core TurboBoost @ 2.5-2.7GHz for around 68-69 Celsius HOT already. Without my method it can go up to 80 or 86+ if cover is on. Imagine external water cooler if i'm using 920xm haha.

And found my old post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-reviews-owners-lounges/456659-asus-n61jq-owners-lounge-747.html

12. sonofcrake

sonofcrake Notebook Consultant

13. DasBoogieMan

Umm the corsair ram won't work since its not a sodimm module. The other one should be ok. Just note that 1600mhz ram is useless with old school nehalems that we have unless are over clocking with base clocks, unfortunately, we can't differentially over clock the ram on our laptop with any utility that I know of.
    Even 1333mhz ram is questionable over the standard 1060mhz.
    However, if you are absolutely dead set on 1600mhz laptop sodimms, try Kingston.

14. Loney111111

I noticed that based on the laptop cooler's design, there were several spots were it recirculated hot air.

I strategically taped paper pieces to funnel hot air towards the left and bottom and cold air through the right and top.

Result? Instead of high 70 C when playing TF2, it's now low 70 C.

Keeping the hot air exhaust as far as possible from the cold air intake and preventing recirculation helps a lot.

15. sonofcrake

sonofcrake Notebook Consultant

i placed an order on the Transcend DDR3 1333MHz 4GB

but why would you suggest 1060mhz over 1333mhz.
    my laptop came with 1333mhz Kingston ram.
    to what i remember, the N61jq can handle 1333mhz.

thank you

16. DasBoogieMan

whatever floats your boat I suppose, mine came with 1066mhz RAM so i only needed to buy an extra stick :D
    1333 is not actually that much faster when you factor the massive jump in CAS from 7 to 9. 1333-1600 is a different story though.
    I think the difference between 1066 and 1333 is fairly miniscule with 1333 being faster by less than 2%.

Just installed 920XM, works like a charm :)
    Interesting thing came up
    XM has a much more aggressive turboboost, I guess the 45W TDP was only a slight bottleneck in the current i7-720qm. I was able to up the TDP on the XM to 75W but the turboboost simply would not push much further

However, the TDC was originally 37W for the 720qm but is 43W (max manufacturer's recommended) for the XM. Even with this bump, it is still bottlenecking the turboboost engagement, I wasn't able to keep the system stable under full load for longer than 10 minutes when I increased it to 46W, it just straight powered down. The only other time I've experienced this was when I accidentally shorted one of the USB ports :)

This modest increase in TDC resulted in incredible gains, there was 2666mhz across 4 cores at one point, however, I suspect the power supply or some sort of protection device is preventing the XM from drawing the current it needs to have full turboboost on all its cores. Thus the system shuts down when the processor attempts to draw more current.

System is stable now at stock settings, I might fiddle a bit but ultimately, this proc needs more juice to reach its full potential.

Hmmm, possibly could try a higher wattage power supply brick but this wont do any good if there is some tripwire protection system in the N61Jq, I wonder if anyone with a G73 or N71 is having any of these problems.

17. Loney111111

Regarding the fan problem, by setting it to "Automatic" in TRIXX and then back to "Custom", and increasing temperature to around 60 C, the fan will run. Once the temperature drops to 40-50 C, it will still run.

It needs high temperature and some setting switching to start. Something's overriding TRIXX and causing all of the software to report incorrectly though...

18. NEX_SASIN

I think the problem lays on the mobo's capacitors, its output is designed for 720qm and is the XM detects if the power is insufficient to do the boost for an amount of time.

Not sure what TDC mean there, but from the ark.intel.com site displays 45W TDP for 720qm and 55W TDP for the XM. Anyway, able to get 2.7GHz on 4 cores that's impressive. 720qm only does around 1.8GHz on 4 cores.

Btw, anyone is up for idle temp challenge? :rolleyes: http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7385/unledota.png

19. DasBoogieMan

Umm checked the VID on the 920xm, it shows 1.5v not sure if this is safe. Does anyone know the VID of their processors? I know it'll show up on pc wizard or aida64

20. Shpati

Shpati Notebook Consultant

So what when you overclock your CPU for the N61JQ stock CPU, how does the turbo boost work?
    -Say you overclock your CPU to 1.73 GHz from 1.6GHz, does the TurboBoost go to 2.93 Max from 2.8GHz max?

-Does overclocking your CPU stability change with everyone CPU (like how GPU overclocking changed with everyone's GPU), or does the overclock max stay roughly the same?

What is the best CPU upgrade out there for a N61JQ-X1?

EDIT: I can hardly Overclock my GPU, 760MHz core clock, and 870MHz memory clock. Anything higher than that will cause screen distortions, or game freezes/crashes in games, and sometimes GPU driver reset.

My question is, could using another program either than Sapphire TRIXX Overclocking Utility, like AMD GPU tool or MSI afterburner all me to overclock any more?