ASUS N56VZ - no logo, no post, no boot, no screen.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by davebugyi, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davebugyi

davebugyi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I tried, that EC refresh, without RAM. As i mentioned - all the available combinations.

2. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The easiest, fastest and most care-free method would be to take it apart, take out the CRTC battery. However since you don't want to do that you can try the following

External monitor
    First of all, try connecting it to an external monitor. Maybe it will work? Use keyboard combinations to make it work with external monitor. It should be like Fn+F8. If it works, then just go into the BIOS and change settings.

Reset BIOS to default blindly
    If that doesn't work, then lets try to reset the BIOS to defaults blindly. Follow the following procedure.
    1. Turn computer on
    2. Immediately keep pressing F2 non-stop for about 4 seconds
    3. Press F9. Hit Enter key.
    4. Press F10. Hit Enter key.
    5. The computer restarts and you should be good to go

If that doesn't work, then try this:

Emergency BIOS recovery
    I don't know if this is going to work on your laptop, but why not give it a try?

Here's how you do an ASUS Aptio recovery:

1. Download the correct BIOS for your model, and extract it. Copy it to FAT / FAT32 formatted USB flashdrive. I recommend using < 2GB size drive if possible.
    2. Rename the BIOS file (should be like NV56VZ.213 or something when you download it from ASUS) to AMIBOOT.ROM, put it on a USB thumbdrive, insert into USB 2.0 port if you have one or USB 3..
    3. Power up and press CTRL + HOME
    4. The BIOS may reflash from the BIOS file on the USB thumbdrive.
    5. Wait at least 7-10 min. If you have a flash drive that has an indicator LED then you'll at least know if it is working.

Another alternative is the same procedure, but not changing the name of the BIOS file.

By flashing the BIOS it will automatically reset the BIOS settings to default.

There is also this recovery method, but it is not useful for you as you can't see anything on the screen.

Let me know how it works out for you!

3. davebugyi

Reputations:
    Thank you prikolchik for the reply.

Unfortunately, none of the above mentioned works. F2,F9,F10 combo does nothing, tried several times.
    HDMI, VGA output are all dead.
    I even managed to acquire a 1 GB USB stick, formatted FAT, and put on the BIOS with various names (AMIBOOT.ROM, N56VZ.215, N56VZ.BIN, N56VZAS.BIN etc.), but the led on the stick did not flash - not even once.

Now it is more than likely that the board died, sending back to RMA tomorrow.

4. elenax

elenax Newbie

Reputations:
    The same thing happened with my with the same symptoms. RMA replaced the motherboard. I remember that I was just out of the bios after a change and puff ... black screen.

5. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh well, at least we tried. I think there may still be a possibility to revive it without sending it back to ASUS, but I'd have to have physical access to the computer to try different things. Otherwise RMA is your best bet.

6. davebugyi

Reputations:
    Agree, received a mail from the ASUS' repair shop (SIL.CZ) that the motherboard died and they will replace it as soon as they can (I'm under warranty).

I think the thread can be marked as SOLVED.

7. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Thanks for the follow up, dave! No bueno that your board died, but glad Asus took care of you.

8. ashjas

ashjas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @elenax i am also having a similar problem... see this video.. N56VJ Not booting up after enabling "preboot xHCI" in the bios. - YouTube

the hdd spins , the usb key on lower left lights up for a second as well as the keyboard backlight.. does this problem mimic exactly yours??

actually i want to figure out if i have a bios reset problem or a faulty motherboard..

please see the video to compare your issue..

Thanks.

9. elenax

elenax Newbie

Reputations:
    It is the same behavior. After boot in is no longer able to access the bios menu. No further operation is possible. I feel sorry for you. I still had a good experience with Asus support here in Italy. In 5 days it was repaired and shipped.

10. davebugyi

Reputations:
    That was my exact behaviour as well..

Good for You :) Mine is there for 10 days (7 working days) and still in status "waiting for spare part" :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.