ASUS N56VZ issue: Crashes when playing 3D games

Discussion in 'Asus' started by hodxer, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indueng

indueng Newbie

Reputations:
    No problem! Someone has to document this. It's totally unacceptable, but in all fairness to Asus their website does say 8GB max.

OK so I have put the original memory back in. (The original memory shows 0.1 more in the WEI by the way. From 7.7 to 7.8)

So after 2 hours of F1 2011 running the benchmark program continuously, 30 minutes of gameplay in NFS the run and about another 30 minutes in COD MW3 my computer is not crashing anymore!

CONCLUSION: 3D Games crashing on Asus n56vz-ds71 due to installation of 2 modules of CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 Corsair 1600MHz 2x8GB ram modules.

Summary of parameters tested
    -Nvidia 306.02 beta drivers and 306.23 drivers
    -NVidia control panel 3D settings auto and GT650m forced
    -Asus n56vz BIOS version 211
    -games: COD MW3, NFS:The Run, F1 2011.

Future checks:

I will return the memory to Amazon and see if there are alternative 16GB upgrade solutions that work for the Asus n56vz that don't cause games to crash.

2. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    Mm. But they changed it after they got people complaining when their laptops didn't boot with 16Gb.

A marginally competent engineer would then say: "well, have a look at the bios-settings, then, the problem will be there if you switch to a different 8Gb brand as well. So if you're implying that any 8Gb setup will work, this isn't true either. Idiots!".

But Asus doesn't have a marginally competent engineer in the bios-tweaking department, it seems.

So what they're effectively doing is to lock the bios at some settings that appear to work with the setups the computers are typically shipped with. And then basically telling people that if they change it later, or upgrade the ram - then they will not have any support.

Same with the ssds or sata 3 devices. They're literally telling people with the earlier n and k laptops - and it's the same with the netbooks and smaller notebooks - that if the ssd fails, or doesn't run on the best speeds, then that's not their problem. Because Asus doesn't "support" those upgrades.

Note that what Asus would need to do to "support" these devices - on the hardware that does actually support these devices fully - is bios-tweaking. Nothing else. There's no expensive tour around the hardware design departments involved. There's no PCB-density magic involved, there's no "new standard" in here.

It's only about five-seven very simple bios-settings that any half-competent engineer can set themselves. I could do this in my spare time in 20 minutes, if I had some means to reset my cmos when something would go wrong. That's all there is to it.

So Asus can't spare 20 minutes to un their laptops. And note that this is ALL of their laptops - not just one model. All of them. And instead they'd rather spend any amount of time to change the specifications on their spec-sheets to something equally wrong as before, so their customers will have "no grounds" to complain.

And they really do seem ready to say that it's better for them - even though they do not actually sell ram-upgrades themselves, or earn anything on Apple-style ram-replacements -- they don't even offer that service -- to limit the hardware they're selling.

So no, there's nothing "acceptable" about this.

3. indueng

indueng Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree.

Let's find a solution. Do you think me trying to fit different modules in there is a waste of time?

4. indueng

indueng Newbie

Reputations:
    OK so I decided to try the 16GB ram configuration again with the CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10. First I tried just using 1 module and it wouldn't boot. I tired both sticks in both slots for a total of 4 permuations. Nothing worked until I used them both. Weird.

Then my pc boots up and I decided to memtest the 16 again just to make sure it works. It shows two sticks at 1600MHz. I boot into windows and as expected my WEI for memory goes back down to 7.7 from 7.8.

Then I decided to play F1 2011 again. I do a full Silverstone weekend. 52 laps. Not a single crash. What the hell, now the memory works???????? I'm baffled.

5. bjammin

bjammin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is weird. It should boot with a single 8GB module in either of the slots - I tried this when I was troubleshooting my DDR3-1333 problem.

This sounds like an intermittent fault somewhere else - if it's working now, I guess you should just keep using it and let us know in a few days if it's still stable!

6. Dantei

Dantei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Having the same with N53SV. One slot busy with 4 GB RAM (Hynix) and the lappy works fine, but when installing another RAM stick it works, but only 4 LEDs are shining (Power, VGA, CAPSLOCK and NumLock). I switched the 4 GB stick to other slot and it works fine. I have other 2 sticks from Corsair and they also don't work.

I've already contaced ASUS, but all they say is the RAM incompability. Kinda strange, because I bought prefered RAM with Hynix modules, other two are Corsair. None of them work together.

7. Andre77ab

Andre77ab Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the new BIOS 211 something to do with 16 GB support? (since update the chipset)

8. evgen78

evgen78 Newbie

Reputations:
    New BIOS 216 is released!!! Maybe it will solve all problems.

9. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    I'm not even going to install it until I know exactly what they're changing..

10. attila16881

attila16881 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    - edit- post in the wrong topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.